Ibiza fr/cupra or astra gsi?

tyranical

Apr 13, 2008
I can afford either and they are quite similar in price. I suspect asking on a seat forum may be a daft idea but still.

On paper performance is nearly identical, not sure how they compare on the road and not sure how either handle.

What about the tuning potential of the two? Also, petrol cupra or diesel? Can of worms probably.

Cheers.

chris_200120vt

MR carbon fibre
Oct 4, 2008
YEADON, LEEDS
I can afford either and they are quite similar in price. I suspect asking on a seat forum may be a daft idea but still.

On paper performance is nearly identical, not sure how they compare on the road and not sure how either handle.

What about the tuning potential of the two? Also, petrol cupra or diesel? Can of worms probably.

Cheers.

i have a mk3 cupra and yesterday on my way back from work i had a M plate astra gsi try it on with me lets just say all he could see was my rear number plate :cartman:
go for a mk3 cupra alot tuning parts for cupras have a word with Bill at badger5 he know this tuning;):D

tyranical

Apr 13, 2008
Well I posted in the mk4 forum as I'm interested in a mk4 and I was referring to the newer 200bhp astra gsi

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
Im pretty biased as im not a fan of vauxhaul id defo have to say the petrol cupra if u can get ure hands on the 180bhp model there is honestly so much u can do with the 1.8t 20v u would never look back if u got 1! The astra well imo its rubbish im sorry to say this but i do not rate them at all!

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
std k03s on the cupra petrol will max out around 240bhp and torque going be around 270ftlb.
for this your going to need

stage 2 remap
full exhaust system
Uprated DV
Forge Tip
Uprated filter

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Im still into vauxhalls abit after my last car, the gsi is a nice car in my opinion, nice interior, look awesome for an astra, especially with a few little mods they can look stunning. Wouldnt have said they are in the same price range unless your looking at an older cupra/fr though?

Enginewise both engines are very tunable with allot of parts out there. With the zlet engines, you can fit vxr turbo, injectors, afm and get it mapped along with the exhaust and filter and see 300hp, but for that you could ko4 the 20vt lump and probs see the same.

In the end for me it came down to german manufacturing v's gm manufacturing and the seat won hands down + the mileage i do came into it so wasnt really on for 30mpg in the gsi, so went for the diesel fr. If mileage and insurance at 19 didnt come into it however i would have been getting an lcr or cupra petrol.

Ibiza.Cupra

I had a astra coupe turbo same engine as the GSI. A petrol cupra (i have one now) would kick the astras ass. Plus you dont have to spend all that much money to get a cupra to go fast. The only astra that has shown me a clean pair of heels was runnin 375bhp!:cry:

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
The Cupra (especialy the petrol) is a rare car but you have a very large community to take advice from (VAG - VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda). Astra's are common as muck.

The 1.8T 20V engine is one of the most tunable engines out there.

Loads of info in my thread (link in my sig bellow).

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise