Ibiza front axle nut not seated?

Feb 20, 2023
Changed the two springs on my girlfriends Ibiza after the left side broke. On the right side I removed the spindle, driveshaft, spindle joint to get the spring out.
But after mounting a new axle nut I noticed there is a row or two of threads left on the nut. On the left side there are no threades left on the nut.
Torqued to 50 nm + 45 degrees. Became worried and took everything apart again to make sure the drive shaft was seated on the spindle correctly, couldt find any way to make it tighter. While I had it down I tested on the nut on the shaft, and with it at the buttom there are the same rows of threades left, see pics:
20230219_125543.jpg

20230219_125547.jpg

And the old nut is the same:
20230219_125413.jpg 20230219_125420.jpg

So, is it OK with it looking like this? The only way the nut could be seated more if with very high torque and crush the end of the nut, but manual says low 50 nm torque +45 degrees and the end of the nut is anyway supposed to work as a lock against the splines. Want to ask for advice so I don´t ruin her car or cause an accident. Im used tro regular nuts on driveshafts with much much higher torque to them.

My car has driver side on the left side. On car parts sites it says MK4 but according to year model 2012 it says MK5 on this forum, don´t know what is correct. Trunk tag says 6J8 3JV

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I think if it is like the original one there is nothing to worry about, just torque to spec, be aware that those are single use because the safety lock mechanism gets destroyed removing it.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That nut part number and torque has not changed from back in earlier models in 2001.
I can’t answer your original question about less threads being “used” after the repair when you replaced that nut with a new one though. You are correct to ask about this change though.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Looking at your pictures again, I think that maybe the nut “length” or taper might have been changed very slightly although the part number is either exactly the same as for earlier cars, and your car when built, or has been changed to reflect a slight change in that nut - for some reason, though if it has been changed it will have been changed for all cars that used it.

Feb 20, 2023
I found another Ibiza at a parking lot today and there was some thread showing on that one as well so I think everything is ok.
I compared original nut with the one I used (tested with 6Q0 407 396 C and 6Q0 407 396 B, think only the coating is difference) and they all had the same dimensions.

Reactions: RUM4MO
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members