I'm back after my crash people! New car help please...

wazo786

Apr 3, 2006
Well hello there folks! IM BACK!!

As im sure some of you know, I wrote off my beloved Cupra in bad weather 2 months or so back :(

I paid 10,400 for it 2 years ago (54 plate, only had 9k miles on clock - guy wanted rid of it ASAP!) and got paid out 9500 by insurance - so im cheesing! :D

Anyway ive been searching high and low for a new car past few weeks - Rx-8, Astra VXR, 350Z, Focus ST, Golf Gti etc - but I just cant seem to take my eyes off any Cupra R I see!!

I have never driven a Cupra R, nor have I ever sat in one, so my question to you all is..........

Is it a big difference to a Cupra?

Friends and family all keep saying I will regret it, and should change to a different car while I have the chance - but you Cupra R drivers will know the best!

Anyone who has made the change from a cupra to a cupra R - your comments are VERY much appreciated

I want one with Recaros - are these much different than the standard seats? Dont look all that different, but i want them none the less

Thanks in advance folks:)

ChrisJ

Lemon
Feb 2, 2007
APD Vag - Near Holton Heath
I have been out in a couple of the Cupra R's and yes there are improvements like racy touches on the dash and interior etc. But if the Cupra you had was modified then there wont be much gain in performance without some more modding obviously, however the R's brakes are immensely powerfull and the suspension is a little better i think.

So yes it will be an improvement, i think the Cupra R's are a lot more money for what you get though...

Cupra_Kevin

Anyway ive been searching high and low for a new car past few weeks - Rx-8, Astra VXR, 350Z, Focus ST, Golf Gti etc - but I just cant seem to take my eyes off any Cupra R I see!!

Rx-8, No not my choice

VXr, Not my type of car

Focus St, OK but not fantastic...

Golf GTi Mk5 ???, Great car but a bit £££££

350z - Yes like these very much, a great 'drivers' car... have you test driven any of these cars above.

Also concider Mitsibushi EVO's, these get the thumbs up from me awell

Just my 2 pence worth.

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Rx-8, No not my choice

VXr, Not my type of car

Focus St, OK but not fantastic...

Golf GTi Mk5 ???, Great car but a bit £££££

350z - Yes like these very much, a great 'drivers' car... have you test driven any of these cars above.

Also concider Mitsibushi EVO's, these get the thumbs up from me awell

Just my 2 pence worth.

I tried another LCR without recaro seats before i got this one,there is a difference between the two,recaros are more supportive at sides and also come with lumbar support adjustment which i dont think standard ones do,or at least the one i tried didnt have it,the recaros are good and worth looking for if you can find one with them.

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Wots your prices limit mate, i think you'll strugle to find one of the cars you've listed for the £9500 your insurance payed out.
I'v got a 54 plate LCR and i love it , i'v not driven an LC so i couldnt compare the two but i would say it's the most comfortable, easyest to drive fast and slow, practical and fastest (now its maped :lol: ) car i'v owned

wazo786

Apr 3, 2006
My limit is not the 9500 the insurance gave me - I could stretch it to the cars ive listed, but I just think the Cupra R is much better value for money overall than the rest

I have been looking round and for 10/11 i could pick up a very good example

My Cupra was only modded externaly, nothing performance wise - so the R would deffo be a step up in that sense, especially if i go for a remap

Think ill go for one - the rest ive listed dont jump out at me as much when i see them on the road as the R - i have a soft spot for cupra Rs:D

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Go for it mate
The others except the 350z are normally the obvious choice when looking for a hot hatch the LCR is i think a bit different.
The right map does make a big difference if you get one its worth doing.

wazo786

Apr 3, 2006
you right the r dose stand out and even more so when you pick the right colour:D

Tell me about it!!

I want Ovni again, but mums not having it as my bro has a yellow car too n she said the drive looked ugly with 2 yellows - so im tryna decide between grey, red or black

Black - bit boring i fink, too common
Grey - hmm, looks a bit old man like i fink, but something sleek about it..
Red - my favourite for now

Opinions??

Feb 1, 2007
gloucester
moog of here has a lcr for sale , 54 plate with 30k , i think he may let it go for 9.5k , in grey , the car looked very tidy when i saw it , give him a pm

gb

here and there
Feb 27, 2007
portglasgow
Tell me about it!!

I want Ovni again, but mums not having it as my bro has a yellow car too n she said the drive looked ugly with 2 yellows - so im tryna decide between grey, red or black

Black - bit boring i fink, too common
Grey - hmm, looks a bit old man like i fink, but something sleek about it..
Red - my favourite for now

Opinions??

got to go for the best colour again but i byest:)

Vonklaas

LCR and get a remap everytime....loadsa difference. My mates got a standard cupra and takes mine out once in a while and scares the sh*t outta himself everytime...then goes on and on and on how he's jealous....but his missus prefers the wheels on the cupra and says the stylings a bit to harsh and won't let him change hahaha

p1tse

Dec 1, 2004
i would personally try and opt for a different car, but that's just me. i can understand why people choose the same, as it ticks all the boxes etc.

for £11k, you'll struggle to find a decent model of any of the original listed cars. so that makes the cupra r a great buy in comparison.

do you need the space and rear seats, if not, how about celica, TT ?

or even an audi a3 3.2v6 or tdi version.

all the cars you listed are worth trying though, but it's down to budget

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I have driven both.

LCR is a bit different to the LC. It does have better suspension as standard and bags more power. When driving both you really do feel the difference between the two. Better seats, Brembos, 18 Alloys, Nice body kit and a ko4 turbo that reaches 265 with a remap.

However having an FR (basically same as the LC) changing my suspension made my car handle better than the LCR so it just comes down to engine and interior if your going to mod.

I would personally go for the LCR because with a few well chosen mods you got yourself a 265bhp beast that keeps up with the best of the hothatches. If you don't for the LCR then the new leon cupra is a good bet! :)

Last edited:

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
how much of a job is it to fit the LCR 04 turbo to a LC then folks. I know other things will need to be changed but just a ballpark figure and is it a massive job? Dont think my LC will be reliable above about 230Bhp so that my limit at the mo after fitting the miltek exhaust and Cat and getting a remap.
Fitted Koni FSD's and Eibach spings so handling is sorted (got upper and lower strut brace to go on and will get ARB'S soon i hope) but heard that Blacksuff discs and pads inprove the LC brakes a massive amount so will leave the brembos for now.

coullstar

Oct 12, 2007
Aberdeen
Ive had my LCR for 2 months now and its a great car but the limiting factor is the FWD. Ive had loads of performance FWD cars and had a V6 4motion Golf and 4wd is much better. Personally I would try and look at something like an S3, R32 or Evo 6/7. I should have kept my 4motion with R32 suspension and supercharged it. Best all round car Ive had and you cannot beat a 6cyl engine.

Remember to factor in running costs though, a Cupra R will not be much more than the Cupra but any of the above will especially if things start to go wrong i.e. haldex control, £1300 please.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.