Inlet cams from N/A 20VT

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
I've been talking to a few Ibiza Cupra owners in Greece who seem to opt for fitting the inlet cam from the NA 1.8 20VT to allow them to rev to ~7400 RPM and hence see more power at higher RPM.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this and whether they'd recommend??

Mook

The cam isn't the restriction of letting you run to 7400 rpm. Springs and retainers are key to it. Just because an engine revs higher doesn't mean more power - the power curve will be dropping off long before then.

Maybe the NA cam has a profile that keeps the valves open for longer, or possibly a slightly higher profile?

Badger Bill would be the person to give you a straight "worth it" or not answer.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Yeah that's what I need to determine. I've already asked Bill who says he's heard of people doing this but never tried himself.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
forget a higher limiter on a K04 turbo.. its cannot pump sufficient air to make it worth while.. and wont make you power.

slap on a GT35R however... and smiles occur :D

DK_GTI_RACER

the NA cams from engine code AGN gives more power up top (only this engine code btw, no ADR etc. they have same cams as 1.8T stock) but as stated already cams arent the limiting factor for reving higher but will lift up a few ponys up top and even more so on bigger turbo...

styling

Apr 13, 2010
a AGN head is large port or small port?

I need to order a cylinder head, and I want to take a large port with agn cams, so I'll have a head agn, if it is largeport?

brwmogazos

Interceptor
Apr 19, 2006
South Greece
That is true.

arround +20bhp witht he inlet cams fitted in BT ibizas :)

had a mate who did the upgrade on his GT35 ibiza cupra.

Let me know what details you need and ill give him a ring in the morning.

the 20v cam is quite popular in smaller turbines too ie K04-023 upgrades etc.

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
Unconfirmed that ADR was solely largeport, most say its actually a smallport.

Bringing this back tho, NA inlet cam? Any more info? Before and after dynos and logs?

I have a ADR code head sitting here and its smallport ,Bill has/had one sitting at his and its largeport, so ADR is defo not solely largeport.

INA

Garrett Super STAR!
Dec 8, 2007
www.inaengineering.com

Bringing this back tho, NA inlet cam? Any more info? Before and after dynos and logs?
That is true
early ADR was large port , late was small port but it certainly the ones you will find in the local UK scrapper are large port.

ADR , AJL , AEB , ALT were all large port.

I wish I could test the cams for you but that will have to wait a few more months.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk

also bringing this back from the dead... and which confirms Phils ADR comment.

We removed an ADR head off an audi A4, non turbo car, pre-facelift and it was surprisngly (to me) a smallport..

Head designation on part code seems the only reliable confirmation of smallport vs largeport..

Smallports I have around me all have 058 103 373D
Largeports I have around me all have 058 103 373A

My first largeport head was ADR, so it does seem that code, for one, did come in 2 flavours.. Weird.. very weird..

AEB, AGU, largeports confirmed.

:thumbup:

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Am I right in saying that the Largeport 058 103 373A cam would be the one to go for?

I guessing the map would need to be adjusted to suit any new cam?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I've not seen any data which confirms if that cams is different to the turbo cam.. heard lots of heresay but never seen any cam data

brwmogazos

Interceptor
Apr 19, 2006
South Greece
i like the sound of this but not at the expense of ride quality or smoothness of operation.

Nah no problem there.

Our 20vt engine are too restricted as far as emmissions are concerned.

Therefore use the 20v cams there are considerable power gains to be earned.

I would have used them with my setup however i am following the reccomendations of Unitronic.

if we decide to upgrade them, then ill go for it :).

tobi20v

Feb 27, 2009
Germany
So, that would mean, that the AGN inlet cam would be perfect for 1.8t Ibiza with more BHP on higher RPM?
Does anybody has the part number to the AGN inlet cams?

Cheers

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
If the turbo can flow enough to support them - depends where your bottleneck is.

For BT setups it sounds like they have potential. Check out James.Judd's 2868 thread, he's opted for some NA cams

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.