Inner CV joint loose bolts...

russman68

Feb 19, 2007
Surrey
Hi everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong section but just after your opinion really...
Last night i was driving home and heard a tapping noise coming from my front nearside wheel, i pulled over and checked for stones in the tyre etc but found nothing. I got back in the car all seemed ok :confused: no noise atal... anyway i carried on my journey for about 5 miles and suddenly there was an incredibly loud crunching/grinding noise coming from the same wheel! I slammed on the brakes and had a look but couldnt see anything so took the wheel off and noticed a greased bolt on the floor.. i then realised that the bolts holding the driveshaft onto the gearbox had all came off apart from one!! to say i was relieved that single bolt held is an understatement! I called out the RAC with the tools to reattach the bolts and found all but one in the undertray bit. He put 5 of the 6 bolts back in to get me home.
I was slightly surprised that all except one bolt would just come loose and fall off with no signs of wear/stripping etc, but was just unbelievably happy that they didnt fall out on the motorway... would have been a slightly different story!
Anyway here is my question.. those bolts (inner CV joint i believe) havent been touched in 5 years except for 2 months ago when my clutch was replaced at a SEAT garage. Have i been allowed to drive away with those bolts not being tightened properly!? If so then they could have caused £thousands of damage!!
Could anything else cause this or do i need to ring the garage and go mental at them?

Sorry for the essay.. can you tell i'm a student? just feel a bit aprehensive about where i stand.. :think:

Thanks!!!

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
No, ring the garage and go mental. Criminal negligence. They need replacing with new bolts, don't put the old ones back in.

(Check your invoice to ensure they refitted new ones 2 months ago.)

Torqued up correctly, they do not come undone on their own..........

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
might not have been the tightness more likely the washers being missing

look for number #12

407210.png

seen it happen and roll round smacking the gear box casing and siezing up the transmission as it pulled away from a roundabout 2 mins after doing 60+mph on a dual carraigeway, that crunch might be a sign of it being too late :(:(

Last edited:

paradigm

I hate the orange game!
I had mine come off the passenger side a few months ago, oddly enough after clutch work. Unfortunately for me, this involved all 6 bolts, the shaft coming out of the diff, hitting the gearbox and leaving me with a gaping hole in the box.

So bill for new shaft, bolts, flange, and GEARBOX :(

russman68

Feb 19, 2007
Surrey
Thanks guys... much like i thought!

Dave - there was no mention of new bolts on the invoice and knowing seat if i didnt pay for them then they didnt go on. In general are new bolts ALWAYS needed?

Flapper - those brackets were there (albeit bent up and twisted) therefore i can only think that the bolts werent torqued up properly. luckily i could stop as soon as i heard the crunching - one bolt was still holding and nothing looked cracked or broken, also when the remaining 5 bolts were put back on to get me home everything seemed fine - gears, steering all seemed fine. do you reckon i was lucky?

thanks guys, just wanna know where i stand when i take it to the garage on Sat.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Thanks guys... much like i thought!

Dave - there was no mention of new bolts on the invoice and knowing seat if i didnt pay for them then they didnt go on. In general are new bolts ALWAYS needed?

Flapper - those brackets were there (albeit bent up and twisted) therefore i can only think that the bolts werent torqued up properly. luckily i could stop as soon as i heard the crunching - one bolt was still holding and nothing looked cracked or broken, also when the remaining 5 bolts were put back on to get me home everything seemed fine - gears, steering all seemed fine. do you reckon i was lucky?

thanks guys, just wanna know where i stand when i take it to the garage on Sat.

They are really one-use bolts.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.