Instrument Cluster Problems

jordyboy004

Leon Cupra 1.8t 20v
Apr 4, 2008
Isle Of Wight
car is fine to drive but when i park up at night (10pm ish) leave the car overnight and get back in to go work (6.30am ish) the clock has been reset and the miles i had done are back to zero. obviously something to do with the temp drop at night but i cant seem to find the problem?

jordyboy004

Leon Cupra 1.8t 20v
Apr 4, 2008
Isle Of Wight
yeah it starts fine, no problems at all. i thought a bad earth but not sure where they took the earth from for the instrument cluster. checked at the battery and all is ok. yeah thats exactly it, only happens overnight tho, which is what made me think it happens because of the temp drop. obviously its colder at night. but it still makes no sense to me

jordyboy004

Leon Cupra 1.8t 20v
Apr 4, 2008
Isle Of Wight
ill have a look tomo then, get the tester on it and see whats going on. thought it was just a dogey plug to start with but that seems to be in tight enough

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
It's almost like a computer, in the way they have small battery's to keep important info when they are powered off.
But i really can't see the clocks having a battery.
Maybe something that retains the memory, as gone?

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
car is fine to drive but when i park up at night (10pm ish) leave the car overnight and get back in to go work (6.30am ish) the clock has been reset and the miles i had done are back to zero. obviously something to do with the temp drop at night but i cant seem to find the problem?

when you say clock has been reset do you mean the time or just the mile counter?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Is this the MFA display or the main speedo/mileometer? I think you're talking about the MFA, the trip computer.

You do know that there are two memory banks on the trip computer? The button underneath the right-hand stalk toggles between the two, Bank 1 is the trip bank, and resets to zero after a couple of hours or so stationary. Bank 2 carries on counting until you reset manually by holding the button for a few seconds.

I use bank 2 for fuel consumption calculations, resetting it every time I fill the tank.

On the MFA display there is a little number at the top right, either 1 or 2, indicating which bank is being displayed.

jordyboy004

Leon Cupra 1.8t 20v
Apr 4, 2008
Isle Of Wight
yeah i know about the two banks mate. but why does my clock (time) reset its self? i got to bed and the time is correct and when i wake up and get back in the car the time will say its 02:00 or 04:00 depending on when it reset itself. obviouls 2 or 4 hours before i got in the car. and by doing this it resets my mileometer too. its as if the whole cluster goes down

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.