is there any point tuning my 90bhp leon?

marcus037

i have had my leon tdi 90 for a few months now and i was thinking is there any point in tuning the engine, what can be done and rough figures of what bhp it will add???

i would upgrade to the 130 or 150 model leon but my insurance is still high as im a young driver living in london.

cheers

brad1

come to london meet mate and ill try and give you some tips and info ;)

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
ok

if you think your insurance is high for a standard 130-150bhp leon, wait till you tell them youve modded your 90bhp model :). i would just change stuff that you can reasonably get away with, like air filter to a cotton panel filter (not a cone) etc. dont play with the maps, in an accident they can, if a serious enough an accident, download your ECU and compare it to standard code. you might, and this is a big might, be able to fit the intercooler from the 110bhp, you could then argue it was like that when you bought the car.

brad1

intercoolers are the same size!, you could get a map, and put bigger injectors on

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
To be quite frank if your planning on spending thousands to get it upto a 150PD spec then I would probably say no its not worth it. For 4k you can buy an old 1.8T or an older 130PD car.

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
whoops

i thought the 90bhp cars didnt have intercoolers, hence the lower bhp, i stand corrected :worship:. how do they get the extra 20bhp out of the same setup? different map/injectors/turbo size/boost pressure?

Last edited:

superleon1

Hi Marcus,

I had a 90bhp Leon about a year ago, and I had it remapped to 125bhp (or thereabouts). The performance increase was amazing! The only downside is, your clutch will start slipping and your brakes will wear out quicker than normal. I have a 130bhp PD Golf now, but it's that standard from factory so the brakes and clutch can handle the extra power, but I can honestly say that there's very little in it between the two cars power wise.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
i thought the 90bhp cars didnt have intercoolers, hence the lower bhp, i stand corrected :worship:. how do they get the extra 20bhp out of the same setup? different map/injectors/turbo size/boost pressure?
They use a VNT turbo and different injectors.

marcus037

thanks for all the advice guys, im going to look into the remap to approx 125bhp and the possible clutch problems, i might get away with the clutch slip as the cars only done 30k. but i do like the 130bhp engine with the 6 gears so i might just start saving up!

cheers

marcus037

come to london meet mate and ill try and give you some tips and info ;)

id love to mate but one of my suspension springs snapped the other day :cry: so its a bit lob sided at the moment lol, and the parts wont be delivered until next week so should be able to make next months meet.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members