It wont stop dripping!

qwert

Jan 13, 2008
Ibiza FR TDI, recently I've noticed after I've parked up liquid dripping out from roughly the rear centre of the engine. Comes out a couple of places but mainly around there. I had washed the car the day before and first assumed it was water that had got trapped somewhere but its happened a few times now. I let a few drips into my hand and I as far as I can tell it is definitly water. Clear, no smell, not greasy and leaves no mark when evaporates....Wheres this coming from?

Only conclusion Ive come to is the aircon? Its happened after I've had the aircon on and I assume, as a by product of aircon you get water, in larger unit anyway. I stand to be corrected, cheers!

attila_tdi

Aug 2, 2009
Hampshire
I was reading the manual the other day and it said that was normal. Apparently the evaporator can drip under high humidity (and outside temp).

Apparently its advisable to switch on the aircon at least once a month to prevent blockages etc.

Check me out, I've read most of the manual.

bluearosatdi

Yep almost certainly its the air con dripping from the evaporator. Best to use the air con regularly (even in Winter). Reason being is that the oil put in with the air con gas is there to lubricate the compressor, rubber seals & other moving items. If air con is not used & compressor lies dormant for a longer period, the oil drains away. The seals dry out & crack and eventually start leaking. Then the compressor is asked to move with very little lubrication & can fail big time. Dont let anyone tell you that Summer is the only season for air con.....unless of course you fancy a HUGE repair bill at some point in the future.

qwert

Jan 13, 2008
Cheers guys put my mind at rest. A really strange question is why does the aircon make a different noise when car is put in reverse?

bluearosatdi

Hi qwert. I have been told (and I have no reason to doubt it), that the car realises you are about to reverse through your own exhaust fumes. It then goes on to some sort of recirculation cycle briefly. Although on mines it doesnt always put the fan speed back to where it was.... but at least it did me a favour by not trying to choke me I suppose !!! I have also been told there are other VAG group cars which do this.

Last edited by a moderator:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hi qwert. I have been told (and I have no reason to doubt it), that the car realises you are about to reverse through your own exhaust fumes. It then goes on to some sort of recirculation cycle briefly. Although on mines it doesnt always put the fan speed back to where it was.... but at least it did me a favour by not trying to choke me I suppose !!! I have also been told there are other VAG group cars which do this.

Yes that is spot on, VAG started adding in this feature on all new "type" cars at around 2000 - it makes sense I suppose.

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Cheers guys put my mind at rest. A really strange question is why does the aircon make a different noise when car is put in reverse?

:yes: It puts it on recirculation mode when you engage reverse, so that it just uses the air from the cabin and not the exhaust gases your going to reverse through! Very helpful I think.

About the condensation issue: it did freak me out the first time I saw it too. Cars do seem to drip lots, especially when the weather is humid. I just got back from a holiday in Florida and at each set of traffic lights there were always small pools of water on the road where people are sat waiting and the air con is dripping on the road! Weird.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.