Just not moving enough...?

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Hey folks, as per thread title... Im sure there are plenty more mods to do to the car, FMIC being the next priority, but I really don't feel the car is quick enough, I think it's down to the map and the power delivery.

I have a Jabbasport stage 1 map, and it doesn't feel 'frantic' like my revo'd MK3 Cupra I had a couple of years ago, and that was standard bar the map!

It delivers a 20psi 'kick' backing down slowly to 17,16,15psi but there seems a heck of a lot of turbo lag, would a map affect turbo lag to a degree?

You can put your foot down and hear the turbo spooling but it sounds 'all bark and little bite' initially, as you kinda hearing the sucking-through-straw sound but the cars not really going anywhere whilst the boost is slowly building (this is lower revs in lower gears also).

It's not a vacuum leak, as i've replaced pretty much every single vacuum hose, and the ones I haven't done , I will be!

My friends revo'd MK3 pulls a lot more on me and thats is revo'd with a FMIC (which I can't see just the FMIC making such a massive improvement, I may be wrong however!)

I know progressive maps are good, but I can't help feeling I might be better switching to a revo map? Sure it's nice to have a progressive boost curve, and the revo may well throw it all at you at once, but with a K03 by time it fades out, it would have faded out anyway as it can't hold the boost at higher rpm surely?

For all you other owners, what do you think, what have been your findings?

sparkie1984

sparky
Aug 17, 2008
my intercooler didnt make an amazing difference mate, on my revod cupra, its all over by 5k on a ko3 lol!

although ive always felt the car isnt how it should be either :)

boltyz

Aug 22, 2008
i have just had my cupra doing roughly what u r describing. it turned out to be the valve that is in the TIP that controles vacume to the actuator on the turbo. I replaced it and the dar is running great again.
Mine is only standard map with cat back exhaust, forge TIP and 007p valve.

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Hi mate, you mean the N75 valve? I replaced that with a J valve, I think thats why it's hitting 20psi now, I think the Jabba map was a bit less in fairness, I think it's more a progressive map deliberately as i've read Jabba maps are like that, but progressive doesnt always feel quick, I think thats the problem!
It's quick, just feel it should/could be quicker!

SidewaysCupra

Mar 20, 2007
Carmarthen
I remember when I was choosing my remap I was all hung up on the "progressive vs aggressive" argument.

This comment from the legendary mork made up my mind for me:

"Forget all this 'progressive' crap, the k03 is a tiny turbo, if you don't chuck boost in low down, it's already spooled up & winding down again before you know it."

Quoted from:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=187041&highlight=progressive+crap

I 100% agree. With a small turbo like a k03 you haven't got the scope to fine tune the delivery. Aggressive all the way for me.

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I think the, (agreed 'legendary' ) m0rk was right in that statement too, Im fitting a boost and oil temp gauge for my friends Cupra this weekend so i'll be interested to see how his boosts compared to mine and what levels it hits, im sure Revo is about 25psi initial hit...?

Acid > I know what you mean, although I sit in my friends car, drive it and it feels a lot different, the second you put your foot down, and I think that's got to be down to how the revo has delivered the boost all at once, N112 has been bypassed and the DV007p is new, although has the standard spring in it. His is not super tuned either, probably circa 205bhp, the main difference he has over mine is the Forge FMIC and now a full Miltek system/sports cat (but it was fast before that full system!)

It reminded me a bit of my Uno Turbo... Wait wait wait whats that whistling is it doing anything? Oh ok there we go... Had a new clutch as well, so it's not like thats slipping, I think it must be the map...

sparkie1984

sparky
Aug 17, 2008
maybe it brings it in sooner? not overly clued up on them to be honest, but i love the aggressiveness of the revo :)

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I was having a few other mods being done at the time (Forge TIP / Sachs Clutch/G60 flywheel / Rear Spacers) and Jabbasport gave a really good price (and are good guys) so thought a remap was a lot easier when done there at the same time.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.