Lambda issues causing limp mode?

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Hi guys, I'm in need of some help.

The last few weeks I've been having several codes, and I am not quite sure what is going on.

16514/P0130/000304 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Malfunction in Circuit
Possible Causes

* Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating Bank 1 Sensor 1 faulty

Possible Solutions

* Check Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating Bank 1 Sensor 1

17536/P1128/004392 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean
Possible Symptoms

* Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active

Possible Causes

* Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor faulty
* Oxygen Sensor Control faulty
o Oxygen Sensor(s) faulty
* Fuel Injector(s) faulty

Possible Solutions

* Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
* Check Oxygen Sensor Control
o Check Oxygen Sensor(s)
* Check Fuel Injector(s)

I deleted the codes several times now, however the light keeps coming back on. Not immediately but soon enough.

The car is running perfect at idle and drives well also. No backfiring or anything.

I am getting limp mode sometimes though, where I cannot get above .03bar of boost, no matter how hard I boot it. Then in the same run, I all of a sudden hit proper boost again.

I have tried disconnecting MAF but not changed anything. The one time I will hit 0.6bar and then next only 0.3

Can a lambda sensor really cause limp mode?

Worth taking it out and giving it a good clean?

cheers for the help

Last edited:

Cupra_20vT

Sep 2, 2008
did you try putting new Lambda as they do cause problems.

or do you have a de-cat??

i get these codes to but its down to me haveing a de-cat.

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Yes I have a decat, but no I have not changed the sensor. But at the cost of the sensor I want to make damn sure its down to that.

When you say you get that code, you saying you get the lights as well?? ENgine management?

ian_cupra

when my lambda was broken i got really crap fuel economy and went into limp mode and after time would give me an engine management light.

could try cleaning it off, but i'd say you'll be needing a new one mate

ian_cupra

i lived with it for ages, which i know i shoudlnt have done, but i was doing lots of motorway miles and had no time to get it sorted.

I was having to leave vag-com plugged in and delete the codes when they came back, normally every 20mins or so :lol:

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
I was gonna say, the code comes back practically every drive.

Really not too happy about this, as i recall the sensors not being cheap!

so the 17536 referring to MAF or injectors is not the case I take it, as the other code also refers to lambda pre cat?

ian_cupra

i'm not so sure mate, i mean sometimes mine would start driving properly again without clearing the codes but then drop back into limp mode again not long after.

can pick one up for about £65 i think

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
mine fluctuates within the same drive.

i.e. one traffic light I'll have 0.7 bar of boost (higher now with the new IC and route)

next traffic light I won't get above 0.3

It also seems like in lower revs it boosts better to 0.6-0.7 and as soon as I go above 3500rpm it stays at 0.3

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
nvm
from parts thread

"Lambda probe before cat: 06a 906 265 N Approx £90"

painfully expensive though...this way I'll never get the money for my custom remap together...joy of having a car as a hobby i guess

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
and which of the 2 is longer?

Plus, the shorter one, will it still be long enough to reach the lambda hole? Seeing as its pre-cat it doesn't have a long route to travel.

cheers

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
I would assume the shorter one would be for pre and the longer one for post yes...its a strange one going into limp though although saying that it maybe if its dodgy and sensing running lean this could be the cause of it which is why it could be brining up possible maf issues aswell...have you tried giving them a clean see if it makes any difference...

Cupra_20vT

Sep 2, 2008
Yes I have a decat, but no I have not changed the sensor. But at the cost of the sensor I want to make damn sure its down to that.

When you say you get that code, you saying you get the lights as well?? ENgine management?

yes i get limp to but no light, if your getting the light it must be the lamba gone, when the lamba goes it throws all the reading off as the ECU is getting the wrong reading form the lamba and it makes it think its running to lean and alsorts of thing. see wat reading the lamba is putting out with your vag-com.

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Ok I realize that problems don't just disappear on their own, however yesterday driving home from work the engine management light went off on its own (without me deleting the code, didn't even know that was possible.)

The car boosted great again. A strong 0.6 bar. Today driving back to work same thing. No engine management light, and going strong.

Confused as to what could have caused this, and am well aware that it could change back any moment, obviously hoping it won't though lol.

Will see what happens

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.