Leather cracks in steering wheel?

Tha_Matt_Man

Jun 17, 2020
Belgium
Noticed these cracks on the bottom left of the steering wheel, I could feel them and noticed this...

Anyone else had this? It's definitely not damaged by me.

Attachments

• PXL_20230706_162300684.jpg
    PXL_20230706_162300684.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 235

Tha_Matt_Man

Jun 17, 2020
Belgium
No ring so that can't be it...

The car is from february and doesn't have a lot of miles/km's yet. Damage by me really is impossible...

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Well it's that sort of thing maybe something hitting or pressing up against the wheel, look at the curving parallel lines bottom right.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Tha_Matt_Man; your forum signature shows your location as Belgium and that presumably means your car is left hand drive. Therefore, depending on the position the steering wheel has been adjusted to and the position of the driver’s seat, the bottom left section of the steering wheel may be susceptible to being ‘brushed’ by items of clothing each time a driver enters and exits the car. It’s possible that certain types of fastenings on clothing (e.g. with metal fastenings such as zips, studs, buckles etc.), could cause the type of damage seen in your picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: pivko11

pivko11

Jun 9, 2022
I have had the same issue, even on some other places on the wheel. I have come to realise that I have brushed the wheel with a jacket zipper or my bag when entering the vehicle. It will gradually smooth out over time...

Jun 29, 2023
:ROFLMAO: I can't belive this has popped into the threads.

I complained to my other half for months when I got back from Offshore, and first got in the SQ5 car after being away for 3 weeks and she picked me up from airport.

I was so, so sure it was due to her rings until I actually found out it was myself causing this, after months of thinking it was her (I apologised) :p

It's when you get in / out the car, you are rubbing off the steering bottom part of the wheel with either your jeans or part of clothing.

Try carefully getting in and out for the next week or so, and you will notice it never happens again :)

Jun 29, 2023
No it's not a ring, its due to clothes getting in and out the car, like jeans or something :)

I have a ring on and so does my other half, we get in the car slowly now and never seen the marks appear again.

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Its a ring (or bracelets) , my other car a 2018 Polo got the same, even deeper marks on the bottom left from my wife's rings. Had the car parked, my wife asked for the keys to get something out of it, when I went back to drive it it was marked, of course she did not admit it!

Jun 29, 2023
The only reason we found out was by taking off all jewlery for a few weeks, which is when we found marks still appearing

The route cause: When I got in the car, my front part of jeans rubbed the bottom of the steering wheel, creating the lines

Which is why I had to apologise to the other half, becasue I was always getting onto her about her Rings

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Yes, sure this could be another reason, all of them have to do with metal parts scrubbing at them.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.