Leon Cupra 300 4wd tuning options?

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
So after been away from Seat for some years im actually considering a Leon Cupra 300 4wd to replace my BMW M135 that im currently using.

However since im pushing out around 450hp out of my M135 i would like some more power out of a potential Cupra..
So how far is it "safe" to push the stock 2.0 TFSI engine, gearbox and 4wd drivetrain?
What mods would i be looking into getting to improve the power?
I assume intake, downpipe, catback, intercooler and a fitting remap but what kind of gains would i be looking at?

Also how is the quality and ride in a new/er Cupra?
I had 2 different Mk3 Leon's , but the 1.8 TSI and 2.0 TDI both FR, earlier but i realize they cant really be compared to the new one..

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Also what kind of fuel economy would one be looking to get on longer relaxed drives, for example going 110-130km/h on a motorway?

Im aware that a car like this is not build for fuel economy..
But since i do longer runs every now and then during summers it would be nice i did not have to stop for fuel every now and then..

TrainDriverEdd

Apr 12, 2016
If you are seriously thinking of modifying a car that you haven't even bought yet then that burdens the question, are you buying the right car?

Be prepared for a drop in the interior quality, especially coming from BMW which is designed to be a premium brand.

I wouldn't dream of a 300 now 4WD has entered the equation. You compromise a lot of ability and fun.

My advice is test drive one and see what you think before you start looking to the modifications.

I bet your BMW is a lot of fun pal. :)

Last edited:

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
If you are seriously thinking of modifying a car that you haven't even bought yet then that burdens the question, are you buying the right car?

Be prepared for a drop in the overall drop in interior quality, especially coming from BMW which is designed to be a premium brand.

I wouldn't dream of a 300 now 4WD has entered the equation. You compromise a lot of ability and fun.

My advice is test drive one and see what you think before you start looking to the modifications.

I bet your BMW is a lot of fun pal. :)

Im sorry to say that the BMW is far from the premium feel as one would expect when paying premium.
My car is 3years old and the exhaust tips are rusty, where the door seals against the chassi the paint have been severly chuffed, none of these things BMW touches within any warranty.
Also i dont really like the seats since mine did not come with an adjustable lumbar support, it also has the old/small infotainment system..
Oh right, i almost forgot it also have developed a small oil leak which i had to mend myself since i didnt want my shitty stealer to go anywhere near the car since they anyway think this is the quality you get when you pay premium...
Enough ranting..

The drivetrain/engine is highly amusing on a BMW, especially with RWD and 450hp..

Sure the Cupra might not be the "right" car, an RS3 would be more suitable or atleast a tad small.
Im thinking of getting rid of my "fun" car and everyday car and replacing them both with a brand new Cupra 300 ST 4wd which would be OK to track, going to work in on winterdays and use when i feel like going to drive some twisties..
I would just like to have the option for extra power, now when im used to having 400-450bhp on tap in the BMW :)

I'm sorry but im not following you?
What do you mean by "I wouldn't dream of a 300 now 4WD has entered the equation"?
In Sweden i can order a 300 WITH 4wd.
Actually the insane thing is that i will be able to sell my BMW and just add about 20% more, then i can get a brand new Leon Cupra ST 300 4wd, then my BMW M135 is a 2014 and has done 30000-35000miles..

The thing is that i bought the BMW and had it stock for about 1-2months and then got the JB4, decat, larger IC etc..
Im aware that i might not be able to get 400-450bhp in a Cupra, but how far away will it be with IC, intake, decat and remap?

TrainDriverEdd

Apr 12, 2016
Like I said in my first post. Test drive the car and see what you think.

I don't know why people think 4WD is the messiah of motoring pleasure.

Trust me it isn't.

If you live in a country where traction is an issue then maybe think about the option.

From your post I gather you are after a performance vehicle.

I've driven many cars over the years. Everything you could imagine.

My favourite cars have always been lighter and agile 2WD stuff.

The Cupra remains one of the most competent and capable hot hatches money can buy.

Let's not forget a Cupra 280ST beat an Audi RS4 around the Nurburgring.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Like I said in my first post. Test drive the car and see what you think.

I don't know why people think 4WD is the messiah of motoring pleasure.

Trust me it isn't.

If you live in a country where traction is an issue then maybe think about the option.

From your post I gather you are after a performance vehicle.

I've driven many cars over the years. Everything you could imagine.

My favourite cars have always been lighter and agile 2WD stuff.

The Cupra remains one of the most competent and capable hot hatches money can buy.

Let's not forget a Cupra 280ST beat an Audi RS4 around the Nurburgring.

Thanks for your reply!

I know 4wd is no miracle, but I assume it would be easier to put down the power? No matter if your running 300hp or 400hp?
Would recommend a 2wd version over a 4wd?
I mainly want the 4wd version since I figured it would help put he power down..

Yeah will most likely go for a test drive in one next week.

Also just noticed that the Bms jb4 is available, which is great since I'm running the same system on my beemer.. :)

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
I know 4wd is no miracle, but I assume it would be easier to put down the power? No matter if your running 300hp or 400hp?

Would recommend a 2wd version over a 4wd?

I mainly want the 4wd version since I figured it would help put he power down..

Well, even a 4WD would struggle to put the power down if you have the wrong tires...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Well, even a 4WD would struggle to put the power down if you have the wrong tires...

With no tires it would struggle even more, seriously what kind of a reply is that?
Running 400-450hp on a rwd car is fine, although it would not be something I'd look forward putting through a fwd car..

Last edited:

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
With no tires it would struggle even more, seriously what kind of a reply is that?
Running 400-450hp on a rwd car is fine, although it would not be something I'd look forward putting through a fwd car..

If you read about, a lot of Cupra FWD are running 400bhp. It's not that hard...
Plus LSDs work wonders, but you wouldn't know what that is...

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
If you read about, a lot of Cupra FWD are running 400bhp. It's not that hard...
Plus LSDs work wonders, but you wouldn't know what that is...

Please do link any of those cupras. Should be interesting to see what kind of mods they were running to be able to achieve 400bhp.
You really seem like a nice person.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Yeah you're right, it was 276

Go troll some other forum or at least thread..
Or are you really that stupid that you don't realise the difference between engine HP and wheel HP?
Ever heard of drivetrain losses?

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
Go troll some other forum or at least thread..

Or are you really that stupid that you don't realise the difference between engine HP and wheel HP?

Ever heard of drivetrain losses?

What I do know is that 2WD has less losses than 4WD.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
What has happened to this forum since I was her last time..
It used to be a really good place to ask questions and gather information.

Sonofzelda- No bhp is far from the same as engine HP.
Car manufacturers states the engine HP and me stated there was many running 400bhp and then sent links to cars that went from 280 to around 400hp, again HP and not actual HP at the wheels.

Also why do you 2 bother posting if your not interesting to adding to the actual thread?
None of mez posts was helpful in any way or even at least friendly.
The one closest to being helpful was the one with the tires, which still was just simply dumb.
Like stating that if you put your hand on a hot plate you will get burnt.

If lsds are that great at coping with large amount of HP, why is it that we don't see more cars with around 450hp, which would equal around 400bhp which Mez stated many cupras were running, with fwd?
Also my BMW has a electronic lsd just as the cupra and I'm not very impressed at all with the BMW's diff.. That car would definitely gain loads with a proper diff, like quaife or a cluch-typed diff..
Even track oriented cars tend to have rwd or 4wd, no matter of a proper lsd or not..

Also running lsd/correct tires for the situation is not really something unique for a Cupra..
That ofc applies to all cars and is the reason to why I have a set of wheels just for track sessions for my BMW.
So that I can run r-tires on track and enjoy decent grip levels both on roads and on track..

Also talking about pure power.
The highest dynoed Cupra I've seen had around 360bhp, which would equal to around 400 engine HP which is awesome.
But still far from the stated 400bhp that mez wrote about..

Last edited:

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
What has happened to this forum since I was her last time..
It used to be a really good place to ask questions and gather information.

Sonofzelda- No bhp is far from the same as engine HP.
Car manufacturers states the engine HP and me stated there was many running 400bhp and then sent links to cars that went from 280 to around 400hp, again HP and not actual HP at the wheels.

Also why do you 2 bother posting if your not interesting to adding to the actual thread?
None of mez posts was helpful in any way or even at least friendly.
The one closest to being helpful was the one with the tires, which still was just simply dumb.
Like stating that if you put your hand on a hot plate you will get burnt.

If lsds are that great at coping with large amount of HP, why is it that we don't see more cars with around 450hp, which would equal around 400bhp which Mez stated many cupras were running, with fwd?
Also my BMW has a electronic lsd just as the cupra and I'm not very impressed at all with the BMW's diff.. That car would definitely gain loads with a proper diff, like quaife or a cluch-typed diff..
Even track oriented cars tend to have rwd or 4wd, no matter of a proper lsd or not..

Also running lsd/correct tires for the situation is not really something unique for a Cupra..
That ofc applies to all cars and is the reason to why I have a set of wheels just for track sessions for my BMW.
So that I can run r-tires on track and enjoy decent grip levels both on roads and on track..

Also talking about pure power.
The highest dynoed Cupra I've seen had around 360bhp, which would equal to around 400 engine HP which is awesome.
But still far from the stated 400bhp that mez wrote about..

I think you might have BHP and HP slightly muddled up there. Anyhow, I don't want to waste anymore time...
There could many reasons you don't see more than 450BHP, most likely causes are turbo and intercooler (compressing the air further but also cooling the charge before entering the cylinder), water misting could be gateway into 450+, another method I haven't seen yet is intermittent spray of CO2 (dry ice) onto the intercooler, essentially freezing it. Also gear box, there's only so much a hollow DSG shaft and stock clutch can handle. I guess with a new clutch it can but DSG mapping etc would be required?

And sometimes it's down to the owner, if they want it or not. End of the day power is nothing without control, being FWD does limit it due to load transfer under acceleration.
I hope that helps

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
I think you might have BHP and HP slightly muddled up there. Anyhow, I don't want to waste anymore time...
There could many reasons you don't see more than 450BHP, most likely causes are turbo and intercooler (compressing the air further but also cooling the charge before entering the cylinder), water misting could be gateway into 450+, another method I haven't seen yet is intermittent spray of CO2 (dry ice) onto the intercooler, essentially freezing it. Also gear box, there's only so much a hollow DSG shaft and stock clutch can handle. I guess with a new clutch it can but DSG mapping etc would be required?

And sometimes it's down to the owner, if they want it or not. End of the day power is nothing without control, being FWD does limit it due to load transfer under acceleration.
I hope that helps

Yay thank you for your reply.
That was more like it:)

Yeah I'm mostly interested in what kind of power the engine and gearbox can hold.
I know for the m135 water/meth injection is really common, but I don't want to push it that far.
Intake, ic and exhaust would be the parts Im interested in replacing.

Yeah exactly spot on for fwd-rwd when it comes to more power.
The problem is that the 4wd gains weight..
Hum.. I'll see after the test drive

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise