Leon FR 190 Estate 2L - Seat Dealer

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
Hi guys,

what would you pay for a 68 plate Leon FR estate 190 2.0, 44,000 miles, 2 years seat warranty and 2 years breakdown cover?

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
They were around £26k new, so should be roughly 50% of their value at 3 years with 36k miles.

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
They were around £26k new, so should be roughly 50% of their value at 3 years with 36k miles.

Went to drive one yesterday. Lovely car, really do like the FR 190 estate but the company were a pain in the .....

Doesn't seem like dealers haggle anymore and then they wanted £600 on top for a 2 year warranty on a £19,000 car. The area I work in I sell products at £500 ish and the warranty is 12 months. Extremely pushy with add-ons etc so ile avoid that company. Shame Seat themselves had one but it sold whilst I was test driving the other one. Seat offer 2 years warranty as standard.

The particular company don't seem to have good reviews when it comes to using the warranty as well. Car was insanely nice and good condition but the company put me off getting it from themselves.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Went to drive one yesterday. Lovely car, really do like the FR 190 estate but the company were a pain in the .....

Doesn't seem like dealers haggle anymore and then they wanted £600 on top for a 2 year warranty on a £19,000 car. The area I work in I sell products at £500 ish and the warranty is 12 months. Extremely pushy with add-ons etc so ile avoid that company. Shame Seat themselves had one but it sold whilst I was test driving the other one. Seat offer 2 years warranty as standard.

The particular company don't seem to have good reviews when it comes to using the warranty as well. Car was insanely nice and good condition but the company put me off getting it from themselves.
It is the nature of the beast unfortunately.
The dealer/salesperson gets commission on warranties, finance, paint protection etc and everything else they can add in to the sale.

And with the current silly lead times on new cars - good condition used cars seem to be holding high prices.

Reactions: Yoshi

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
It is the nature of the beast unfortunately.
The dealer/salesperson gets commission on warranties, finance, paint protection etc and everything else they can add in to the sale.

And with the current silly lead times on new cars - good condition used cars seem to be holding high prices.

Will try and get one with a few more miles (maybe in the 40k region) then that allows for the extended warranty :)

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Maybe more than 50% in the current climate with very long wait times for new cars and fewer new cars being built. Some people are hanging on to their existing cars or buying good quality used cars instead of waiting for a new car, so with increased demand and fewer good used cars feeding into the used car market, prices are holding up pretty well.

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
Also bear in mind if your budget is up to £20k new shape Leon ST is available, albeit the 1.5 versions.
As I've mentioned before those FR STs are overpriced for the age of the car. I got a 20 plate Cupra for £24k.

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
Also bear in mind if your budget is up to £20k new shape Leon ST is available, albeit the 1.5 versions.
As I've mentioned before those FR STs are overpriced for the age of the car. I got a 20 plate Cupra for £24k.

Wanted the 2l really as I'm swapping a mk5 GTI golf but then the mpg is a little low for me on a cupra (FR ST seemed to be the best of both worlds). I'm using it for light business use as well. Around 7k miles a year

Last edited:

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
Wanted the 2l really as I'm swapping a mk5 GTI golf but then the mpg is a little low for me on a cupra (FR ST seemed to be the best of both worlds). I'm using it for light business use as well. Around 7k miles a year
I can't imagine the 2.0 TSI FR St being much better on fuel than a Cupra other than the additional drain from the 4 wheel drive if you get the ST. Each to their own but for 7k miles a year the difference in fuel cost fron 35mpg to 30mpg (as a guess that the cupra will be 5mpg worse) you're looking at £250 a year in fuel costs. For around £20 a month additional fuel I'd be going for a Cupra for sure. It may well make more than the increased fuel cost back in its depreciation compared to the FR.

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
I can't imagine the 2.0 TSI FR St being much better on fuel than a Cupra other than the additional drain from the 4 wheel drive if you get the ST. Each to their own but for 7k miles a year the difference in fuel cost fron 35mpg to 30mpg (as a guess that the cupra will be 5mpg worse) you're looking at £250 a year in fuel costs. For around £20 a month additional fuel I'd be going for a Cupra for sure. It may well make more than the increased fuel cost back in its depreciation compared to the FR.

I wanted something a little cheaper to run than my GTI but without losing too much power. Cupras tend to have 19" wheels as well I think as well as higher road tax. MPG on honest John is 28mpg where as the FR 2L is 35-38 average.

Reactions: SuperV8

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I wanted something a little cheaper to run than my GTI but without losing too much power. Cupras tend to have 19" wheels as well I think as well as higher road tax. MPG on honest John is 28mpg where as the FR 2L is 35-38 average.
Insurance is likely to cost more on a Cupra too.

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
Insurance is likely to cost more on a Cupra too.

To be honest there are so many 1.4/1.5 evo ST versions around I was tempted to go with one of those as they do seem cheaper to buy as well then remap one if need to be to try and squeeze 200bhp. (have been advised to go with the 1.4 over the 1.5 but I bet others may say the opposite).

After test driving the 2L estate FR that's the one I want really. Best of both worlds in terms of performance/MPG. Fastest car i've owned is a 2l mk5 GTI so it's not like i'm coming from a 300+ HP car down to an FR 190

Last edited:

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019

I think the 19s will be the biggest difference in running cost tyre wise. The Cupra 290 and 300 is £165 a year, same as the FR190 (not sure on the latest and greatest price is from 1st Aprils price increase but they're the same).

The MPG on Honest John can be taken with a slight pinch of salt. What I mean by that is the average Cupra owner will drive more spiritedly than the average FR 190 owner, which will account for some of the difference between the two real life MPG figures. If you drove both back to back on the same road at the same speed there wouldn't be anywhere near 10mpg difference. The 190 uses the new EA888.3B engine which is more efficient than the Cupra engine but cannot be tuned a great deal.

19" tyres are going to be about £200 a set more expensive than equivalent 18s, but at only 7000 miles a year you should only have that cost crop up every other year.

Insurance is a different matter, but as I don't know your situation the only way to answer that is to get a quote on both cars.

Either way the FR 190 will be great, I just think the real world difference in running cost will be marginal, and the Cupra is a better car for not a lot more money. I see it as one of those things that both can achieve over 40mpg, but only one can give you 300bhp for an overtake and the associated grin factor. Also, you can't get bucket seats in the FR :D

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
My Cupra 290 averages 34mpg in normal driving, yes if I start booting it, that drops to late 20s.
Road tax is £165 on a 2020 Cupra 290.
Tyres are up to you, yes £190 each for Michelin PS4, but something like a Yokohama, which is still a good quality tyre is around £140.

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
My Cupra 290 averages 34mpg in normal driving, yes if I start booting it, that drops to late 20s.
Road tax is £165 on a 2020 Cupra 290.
Tyres are up to you, yes £190 each for Michelin PS4, but something like a Yokohama, which is still a good quality tyre is around £140.
Sounds the same as my 2005 GTI golf on the MPG

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
IF you need any help with insurance for whatever vehicle you're looking at, with or without a re-map then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members