Leon MK3 control for emission control system stays up until engine start

Mar 21, 2024
Hi everyone
There's one thing that's bothering me about my 2020 Seat Leon FR MK3 1.5 tsi. When I turn on the ignition key once (engine not running) multiple control lights come on for a brief period of time. After 1-2 seconds all except for one go off. The one that stays on is the "emission control system" yellow engine icon. I goes off (and stays this way) when I turn the engine on. It doesn't turn on during driving.
Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this something I should have checked? Or is it normal and I shouldn't worry.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I'm sure that's just what most people refer to as the engine check light. The lights do what you've described and then the engine light should go out once the engine starts. If it stays on, then you've gone an issue.

thespicemustflow

Feb 24, 2024
This light is the CEL/EML (Check engine light, engine management light) and has nothing to do with emissions. It's standard for it to stay on a bit longer on these cars - nothing to worry about.

If the light comes on and stays on during driving, then there is a fault needing checked.

Mar 21, 2024
Thank you for the replies. Seems what I'm seeing is normal.

In the mean time I went through YT videos (as many as I could find) showing other Leons' dashboards during ignition, to compare. Most of the time the EML stayed up until engine start (just like mine). What's surprising is that on multiple videos the EPC light did the same (which mine does not).

Does anyone know what is the reason for EML and/or EPC lights staying up this long?
This is really confusing especially as I am sure in my case it used to not be this way. 1-2 months ago all the lights (including EML) went out after those initial 1-2 seconds - before engine start.
Could anyone riding a similar car - Leon 5F FR 1.5 tsi (mine has virtual cockpit but this probably doesn't matter here) - check how their car behaves? Which lights (if any) stay up after turning the key once, before the engine starts?

thespicemustflow

Feb 24, 2024
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Warning/informational lights are almost entirely useless when the engine isn't actually running. There could be a million reasons different lights come on at different times - different engine and gearbox combos, different model years, different options specced for different countries etc.

Bottom line is, as long as none of them come on when driving, there's nothing to worry about.

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Does anyone know what is the reason for EML and/or EPC lights staying up this long?
This is really confusing especially as I am sure in my case it used to not be this way. 1-2 months ago all the lights (including EML) went out after those initial 1-2 seconds - before engine start.

Your memory is betraying you, I believe.
That warning light stays on until you start the engine and it works that way by design.
I have owned and driven a lot of cars in my motoring history since 1995 and they were all the same.
No need to explicitly state but my current car, a 2018 Leon FR 1.4, is also the same.

Reactions: fuzzylogic
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.