Leon Roof Rack - Any recommendations?

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Hi,

I have had a search and not found anything helpful.

I am looking for a roof bar set for my '03 LCR so I can carry my 8'6" longboard. The main features I am looking for is quick to put on AND remove so I only need to use them when I want to go for a surf. I.e. put them on and take them off in under 20 mins without damaging anything.

So far I've heard good and bad reviews about Thule. Don't know much about Atera bars. And only heard good reviews about the SEAT bars but not sure if they make them anymore (plus they're not cheap).

Does anyone have any roof bars on their Leon they can recommend to fit my criteria?

Cheers :)

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
Hi,

I have had a search and not found anything helpful.

I am looking for a roof bar set for my '03 LCR so I can carry my 8'6" longboard. The main features I am looking for is quick to put on AND remove so I only need to use them when I want to go for a surf. I.e. put them on and take them off in under 20 mins without damaging anything.

So far I've heard good and bad reviews about Thule. Don't know much about Atera bars. And only heard good reviews about the SEAT bars but not sure if they make them anymore (plus they're not cheap).

Does anyone have any roof bars on their Leon they can recommend to fit my criteria?

Cheers :)

Yeah, don't get any, it ruins the lines of a beatiful car........................

..............but if you have to, go for Thule, never had them on my Leon, but had them on previous cars, with no problems.

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
Get a set of the genuine SEAT bars (they are made by Thule) and screw into the roof mounts.

Quite often there are second hand sets on here or eBay around the £60 mark. They are compatible with all Thule accessories.

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
I use the genuine SEAT bars to cart my kayaks around and they're great. Very secure as they screw into the roof and can take them on and off in just a couple of minutes. Reccomended!

neil_1979

2nd the genuine SEAT roofbars, very quick and easy to put on and off. I bought mine from ebay for about £40, quite a few come up, you just have to be a bit compulsive looking at ebay to nab some cheap though

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Thanks. The genuine SEAT ones sound good. How much are they from the stealers? Can't see any on ebay at the moment unless I'm searching for the wrong thing.

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Yeah I've got the Thule ones myself, they're awesome. It's all about the silver aluminium aero bars though - dont get the cheap black metal ones, they look pants and they whistle on the motorway!

What Thule one would I need? Some places say one type...some say another. What are 'Fixpoints' and do I have them?

If I do would I need a 753 foot pack, a pair of 860 aero bars and a 3020 fitting kit?

Cheers

Jonesy

Leftie and Proud
Sep 27, 2004
Pig Hill
Fixpoints are on the black strips on your roof pop up the covers, one on each corner

check ebay for Seat roof bars really easy on and off

EmDee

Omnishambolic
What Thule one would I need? Some places say one type...some say another. What are 'Fixpoints' and do I have them?

If I do would I need a 753 foot pack, a pair of 860 aero bars and a 3020 fitting kit?

Cheers

I cant remember the actual names of the packs I got, but my mate works at Halfrauds and I just told him what car i had and he gave me all the kit. Maybe if you go there you can get a recommendation then you can get the actual parts off Fleabay?

Your fixpoints shiould be the screw in type, but allegedly some leons have a different kind? I've never seen a Leon with any other kind than the screw in ones myself. Just push down on the little platic covery bits and the other side will pop up revealing the fixpoints.

I will pop down to the basement when I get a minute and dig out all the boxes and stuff I got with them so I can check for you.

neil_1979

looks like those ebay ones have the rubber strips along the top of the bars missing???

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Yeah, and they're collection only. Looking at online prices (excluding ebay) it seems a set of Thule bars will be about £120-130 and the genuine seat bars are £115-130. That just makes it more difficult! But aren't the seat bars made by Thule...so effectively the same thing?

malibu1378

I've got some Thule aeros (108cm) which I had on my '04 leon cupra and they were great.
Easy to take on and off. Definitely worth getting the Aero ones, or at least aero style