leon tdi 110

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
i am new owner of a leon tdi 110 se its a 2001 model and noticed that the water temp gauge doesn't seem to be moving. Its got fsh and just had cam belt and water pump replaced but why is the water temp gauge not working?

any help please :D

thanks.

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
Check the coolant level.

As I had this problem, and it's because my coolant had vanished all of a sudden (even though serviced and coolant was fine a month before, but there was no leak as a few months on and i've not had the problem since!

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
Check the coolant level.

As I had this problem, and it's because my coolant had vanished all of a sudden (even though serviced and coolant was fine a month before, but there was no leak as a few months on and i've not had the problem since!

Hi Gordz thanks for reply I checked coolant level before I bought it and it was full :)

jdesousa

Jun 13, 2008
Nottingham
Hi there,

Just thaught I'd let you know that my temp gauge has not been working for the 18 months that I've owned my 1999 Toledo 110 and never caused any problems. As far as I know its only a sensor somewhere. If the coolant level drops too low an alarm will buzz and a light will come on on the dash. You should be ok but obviously it will be better of working. I've got to get mine sorted as well. If you do a search for TEMP and GAUGE and SENSOR you should get some results on what sensor it is.

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
Hi Gordz thanks for reply I checked coolant level before I bought it and it was full :)

That's what I did too, it was serviced before I bought it, double checked engine and everything, then a month down the line I had the temp guage problem and there was no coolant.
I'd give it another check just to rull out that option. Don't want to be taking it to a garage like I nearly did, and being told it's just coolant!!!

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
heya gord the coolant level is like just under the max mark so I can't see it being that can it?

lee.

willives

Apr 20, 2008
Wiltshire or Spain
I had to replace the sensor on the coolant bottle a few weeks ago. The gauge wouldn't move, then it would randomly work then drop back to cold again.

Bought one from a local Skoda dealer for around £12 iirc.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
It really depends on what's wrong. There is one sensor package that fits into the plumbing off the nearside of the cylinder head, but it contains two separate sensors, one just for the dashboard gauge and the other feeding the ECU and thus all the other onboard systems (climate control etc). The sensor connection has four ways, two for each of the sensors. Basically the dash gauge is analog, reading the change in resistance of the sensor directly, and the ECU feed is digitised either in the sensor or at the ECU.

What it boils down to is that the ECU does not see the same signal that the dashboard gauge sees, so the dial reading is not helpful in this respect. It could be that your ECU sensor is also borked, which will affect the fuelling. I'd expect that to bring up the CEL though.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
change the temperature sender. I got the dealer to do mine before I took it off him. Think they changed colours from blue or green or vice versa? Do a search for coolant temperature sensor.

Last edited:

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
thank you for replys. The lad I bought it of said the gauge has never worked since he owned it will very slightly move to about 65c which I happen to see it move today but no further than about 65c seems random so looks like the gauge is working but not getting correct temperature, most likely sensor?

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
Definitley have a good search around on here mate, I remember a thread with a few people saying that sensors just needed cleaning with a wire brush and then was working good as new.

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
well had a trip to seat today and got a new coolant temperature sender took old one out followed a guide on here, didn't leave car to cool long enough so lost about about 1 litre of coolant which I went to halfords (just down road) and bought a litre bottle of coolant and topped expansion bottle back up. Anyway replaced the sender with new all went well nice and secure started car left it for 5-10min and the needle hasn't moved stuck on 60c still :cry:

so anyone know what else it might be since i have ruled out temp sender now?

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
I been reading about this G12 antifreeze and I did say to the guy in halfords it says G12 on my bottle but he said this pink ready mix stuff will be fine its for cars after 1998.
hope its ok :)

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
sorry I've just re read my post, I didn't mean the gauge I meant the sender :redface:

Although if its not that its a bit of a bizarre one.

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
good news the gauge appears to be moving more now but if its accurate is another story :funk: basically I did a complete coolant flush today removed expansion bottle gave this a flush inside and scraped those metal probes inside (wasn't much crud on them) refilled the system with some pink coolant from Halfords filled bottle to max let the car run about 10min checked and the coolant bottle was empty so got another 2 litre bottle used about 3/4 of this and then went out for a drive still wouldn't move after about a 5-10min drive came back home turned ignition off and put it back on and the needle went to about 75-80c I thought wow :clap: so turned it of went in house came back out went for longer journey and after about 10min suddenly needle started moving got to about 80c then on we back home stuck in some traffic needle went dead on to 90c didn't go over but it seems to flucuate abit sometimes dropping to like 80c then back to 90c is this due to traffic supposed to do this?
at least now it seems to be working better than it was as the lad I bought it of said he never saw go over like 70c so I guess this new sender I bought and fitted looks like its done something [B)]

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
well bummer been to work in it twice now back and forth its only about a 10min journey but the gauge is dead again don't appear to be moving, how come they are so tempermental it seems like it works better on longer journeys, but why? is it an actual electrical issue?? as i think its abit ignition related as i think if you turn car on then off and back on it may work.

wierd! and annoying :)

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
I am concerned about this from what I can gather its taking ages for the temp gauge to rise if it does at all makes me think is it the thermostat? I don't think the rad fan is working due to this not heard it, any help on changing thermostat is it hard?

cheers.

ucchockey

Mar 9, 2008
lichfield
if your journey to work is only 10 mins then i doubt if the gauge would move anyway. my car takes about ten mins to even start heating up.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.