Life Span of Ibiza Turbo's

andy_tratter

Sep 17, 2008
Near JabbaSport ;)
Hi all, looking at buying an ibiza cupra, but can only afford a high miler (90K+). was just wondering how long hte standard turbo's last before they want a refurb/rebuild/replace? or will they last as long as the engine?

cheers, andy

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Depends on lots of things mate. The driving style of the previous owners, how its been maintained etc etc.

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
Mine just hit the 68000 mark i took a picture of my turbo fins when i did my TIP not to long ago was in good nick...

Just depends if its been looked after or not if its been ragged from cold and driven hard all the time then just switched of witout being allowed to cool etc then its going to be worse than one that has been look after.

Just check for the normal signs blue smoke etc....

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
its give or take at any milege but unless the car has been totally shagged the turbo will be the least of your worries. and even if it does fail you can usually pick up a used k03 unit for around 40-50quid or upgrade time

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
As others have said, depends on how its been treated really, but they are pretty reliable.
A mate of mine has a 99' passat 1.8t with 150k on the clock, it gets serviced regularly, but dose get driven enthusiastically. When we looked at the turbo about 2 weeks ago, it was fine!

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Had a good look at mine when mine came off when putting the ko3s on, and it was in very good condition! Had done 70k and no shaft play, no cracks and no oil leeking! All down to treating it with respect, heating it up properly, not abusing it when cold etc

May 2, 2006
in standard form out the factory the unit was 'designed' to have a minimum life span of 150k miles.

as people have said though, pick them up for next to nothing these days.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.