Looking for recent Altea XL

TheRookie

Feb 9, 2015
I am thinking of buying a recent (up to 2 years old) Altea XL in SE Copa DSG spec.
Today I put a deposit for such car however I've got some questions about. As it is pointless to ask dealer (the response is going to be "doncha worry man, it's OK") I've decided to ask the real people :)

1. The car got 21K on the clock and is registered in September 2013 BUT there is only one service stamp and it was from December 2014 (presumably that's when dealer bought the car). Is this going to invalidate SEAT warranty?
2. The dealer is car supermarket, not the 'proper' SEAT dealer. Will it affect warranty somehow?
3. Is it possible to have rear view camera with Altea XL? I know it is not available as standard but will the radio take video input from some 3rd-party camera?
4. Is there anything specific I should check (I know that two front tyres must be replaced and there are some minor scuffs here and there)? Engine/transmission/whatever?
5. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance! :)

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
I am thinking of buying a recent (up to 2 years old) Altea XL in SE Copa DSG spec.
Today I put a deposit for such car however I've got some questions about. As it is pointless to ask dealer (the response is going to be "doncha worry man, it's OK") I've decided to ask the real people :)

1. The car got 21K on the clock and is registered in September 2013 BUT there is only one service stamp and it was from December 2014 (presumably that's when dealer bought the car). Is this going to invalidate SEAT warranty?
2. The dealer is car supermarket, not the 'proper' SEAT dealer. Will it affect warranty somehow?
3. Is it possible to have rear view camera with Altea XL? I know it is not available as standard but will the radio take video input from some 3rd-party camera?
4. Is there anything specific I should check (I know that two front tyres must be replaced and there are some minor scuffs here and there)? Engine/transmission/whatever?
5. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance! :)

We have exactly the same car.

1. No, it'll be on long life servicing from new, so 20k miles or 2 years. Ours has only done 3000 and is only just a year old. For peace of mind, I won't be leaving it until 20k miles. In your case, no effect on warranty.

2. Doesn't matter where you buy from, no effect on warranty.

3. You should have the RNS-315 system with colour touch screen (SEAT Media system 2.2). It is definitely possible to have the rear view camera but you'll need to buy the parts and have it coded in with VCDS: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5323890-Back-up-camera-possible-on-RNS-315 Do you really need it? The reverse sensors work really well.

4. The facelift Altea is pretty bullet proof. The DSG-7 wet clutch box is excellent and the 1.6 TDi is as reliable as they come. At the mileage, it doesn't sound like it will have been used on short journeys so the DPF should be in good order.

TheRookie

Feb 9, 2015
Thanks for response Cupra Ross!

1. You are absolutely right. I called SEAT customer service today and they have details of the car in their computer. In short, they've said it exactly as you said it: long life servicing, no problem, the car is 100% under warranty.
2. Good :)
3. Not sure about this one. According to dealer, the car satnav is HDD driven? This is what they say in the advert: Sat Navigation (Hdd]. This can obviously mean that they are talking straight out of their backside or simply lost the SD card...
I wanted to post link to the car here but forum doesn't let me (need 15 posts or more). :(

As to camera - mrs would like to have it as she used to it in her current car, hence the requirement.

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Thanks for response Cupra Ross!

1. You are absolutely right. I called SEAT customer service today and they have details of the car in their computer. In short, they've said it exactly as you said it: long life servicing, no problem, the car is 100% under warranty.
2. Good :)
3. Not sure about this one. According to dealer, the car satnav is HDD driven? This is what they say in the advert: Sat Navigation (Hdd]. This can obviously mean that they are talking straight out of their backside or simply lost the SD card...
I wanted to post link to the car here but forum doesn't let me (need 15 posts or more). :(

As to camera - mrs would like to have it as she used to it in her current car, hence the requirement.

No problem, glad to help. The sat-nav doesnt have a hard drive. It has the maps on internal EEPROM. It's a very quick system with traffic updates and traffic based routing. It sounds brilliant for a standard fit stereo too. We play all our music from a USB stick that slots in under the arm-rest. Fantastic car that I wouldn't change for anything else.

TheRookie

Feb 9, 2015
I see :)
Is there anything specific I shall check at dealership? I mean apart from the obvious tyre kicking, oil leaks and signs of damage?

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
I see :)
Is there anything specific I shall check at dealership? I mean apart from the obvious tyre kicking, oil leaks and signs of damage?

I think the majority came on Michelin Energy tyres. They'll probably still be the originals at that mileage as they're very hard wearing. I'm not too confident that they'd be a bargaining point as car supermarkets tend to operate on volume rather than margin these days. There's probably not even the price of a set of tyres in the profit margin once everything else is accounted for.

Other than that, I really don't think there's anything much to go wrong at that age and mileage.

TheRookie

Feb 9, 2015
According to car report the front tyres are on the limit (3mm) so I'll be replacing it straight away. Thankfully, the size is the most popular one so I'll just put some all-weather tyres on it (Hankook H730 or Goodyear 4Seasons).

Should there be SD card with maps for satnav? What accessories are normally coming with the car?

kevlaa

Altea Stylance / Arona FR Evo
Oct 12, 2010
s.wales
If the tyres are on the limit shouldn't the garage have replaced them? Good choice of car by the way :)

TheRookie

Feb 9, 2015
Technically 3mm is not a legal limit (1.6mm is) so they will probably refuse to do anything about it. :)

TheRookie

Feb 9, 2015
It is indeed! The thing is that I am going to buy it from a supermarket and they are normally quite stingy when it comes to bargaining.

What shall I expect to find in the car (SE Copa):
- SD card for Satnav?
- Spare wheel? normal or half size?
- Tyre repair kit?
- Triangle?
- Jack?
- Manuals?

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
It is indeed! The thing is that I am going to buy it from a supermarket and they are normally quite stingy when it comes to bargaining.

What shall I expect to find in the car (SE Copa):
- SD card for Satnav?
- Spare wheel? normal or half size?
- Tyre repair kit?
- Triangle?
- Jack?
- Manuals?

No SD card. It doesn't use one. Only for map updates or playing music.

No spare wheel, you get a tyre destroyer kit.

No triangle.

Yes to the jack.

Manuals, possibly, if the last owner was good to you and the dealer hasn't lost them.

Tyres, always worth asking, but in my humble opinion, not a chance they're budging.

TheRookie

Feb 9, 2015
OK, thanks :)
Now I'll just need to wait until Sunday - that's when I am going to see the car and test drive it....

TheRookie

Feb 9, 2015
...and the last thing before my trip to dealer tomorrow : what is the duration of SEAT roadside assistance? Is it same as warranty, 3 years?

TheRookie

Feb 9, 2015
Well... it looks like I won't be joining the Altea club for some time. :(
Went today to see the car - as it turned out that my missus didn't like the car at all. She said it is seriosly slow, cheap inside and overall "nothinhg special". One thing I did notice was that the car was shuddering when shifting gears down - not sure if that's normal for DSG or not. Maybe I just used to CVT-style 'box.
Now I just need to get my deposit back (that's going to be an interesting adventure)...

Last edited:

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well... it looks like I won't be joining the Altea club for some time. :(
Went today to see the car - as it turned out that my missus didn't like the car at all. She said it is seriosly slow, cheap inside and overall "nothinhg special". One thing I did notice was that the car was shuddering when shifting gears down - not sure if that's normal for DSG or not. Maybe I just used to CVT-style 'box.
Now I just need to get my deposit back (that's going to be an interesting adventure)...

Shouldn't shudder at all. Our's doesn't. I don't find the interior to be cheap feeling, Vauxhall, Ford, and Nissan take the prizes for that. Each to their own though. Good luck with the deposit.

RadCordy

Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
My dsg is super smooth, no sign of it changing gear never mind shuddering! Your mrs is right about the plastics though! In sport mode it holds the gears longer so goes well enough, left in drive mines in 7th at 40mph!

I Find the steering wheel lovely, controls, dials etc all pretty good. Door cards, top of dash and all low down plastics awful, a modern kia would shame it! My last 2 cars have been Audis though, thats where you pay though so hardly surprising

TheRookie

Feb 9, 2015
I am back! Just bought Altea i-Tech :)
It just took me a year to persuade Mrs that SEATs aren't that bad today as they were 20 years ago :)

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
Nice work, welcome back to the Altea crew! How have you been getting on with it?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.