Loud Rattling Coming from Boot Trim - Help Please!?

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
Hi there,

I picked up my 2004/54 LCR last week and its great.

There are a few rattles that I'd like to sort out though, none worse than a loud rattle that seems to be coming from the boot lid plastic trim.

Its the large black plastic panel that is directly under the rear window on the boot lid and I can't see anywhere where it fastens on. There are no obvious screw holes other than the screws in the grab handles and the whole thing seems loose.

The plastic panel doesn't sit flush with the metal boot lid and I can easily slide my fingers down the back of it behind where the rear wiper motor is. Is this right or should it be completely snug with the metal boot lid?

How do I remove the plastic trim so I can look at putting some damping/foam behind it?

Any ideas?

J:)

JamJay

California Bound
Hi Jerry. It should be snug against the bood lid itself so it appears that it's been off at some point. Leon's have a common fault where the boot release sticks, so when you try to open it up, you can't as the rod is stuck in the 'locked' position. It's a fairly simple fix with a bit of grease but requires the trim to be taken off.

Sadly I don't know how to do this either as I sent mine back to SEAT with my grumpy face on but hopefully i've helped in some way :D

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
That's excellent. I'll attempt this when I get a minute.

At present there is a good 1cm gap between the entire black plastic panel on the inside of the boot lid and the metal lid itself. There is movement in it and it rattles like a good 'un when I drive making it sound like I've got a pile of plastic coat hangers in the boot... it needs sorting, and while I'm at it I might try and put some sound proofing in there too so its all nice and snug afterwards.

Thanks for your help :clap:

J:)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members