Machine Polishing

mr0709

life at 180bhp ...is good
Feb 12, 2008
Hello I bought a Leon Cupra in Jan and im going to be cleaning it properly tomorrow for the first time, got a machine polisher for christmas last year. Am a little nervous bout using it on the paintwork, anyone got any tips on how to use it properly to get a really good shine on the paint, and if i should be using one at all.

Any help gratefully appreciated, thanks in advance

M

mr0709

Feb 12, 2008
A fairly basic one bought for about £40 its RAC branded similar to the MV008

Last edited:

mr0709

Feb 12, 2008
Its Twin handled in argos for £20 now its on their website

Mat

not a "proper" one then.... Is it like one of those soft buffer ones i imagine?

will help buff polish off (used one years ago on ex's car), but doubt will offer any kind of paint correction.

Look on Detailing World for guide on either a Dual Action Polisher, such as the Meguiars G220 or Rotary Polisher, such as Silverline, Makita

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Having owned the Porter Cable, G220 and now the Kestrel dual-action machines, I'd say the Kestrel DA is the best one for beginners. These cheapo machines aren't really much good for anything TBH.

Forget a rotary if you're a noob to machine polishing.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Having owned the Porter Cable, G220 and now the Kestrel dual-action machines, I'd say the Kestrel DA is the best one for beginners. These cheapo machines aren't really much good for anything TBH.

Forget a rotary if you're a noob to machine polishing.
I second that.

What i will say about rotary is if your sensible with it and apply few basic rules you will be fine. If you do go rotary router, maybe get an hour or two lesson from a pro.

Mat

I jumped straight onto a Rotary (used it a couple of times). Felt fine with it. However, I've always been the over-confident type. The only bit I found difficult was polishing out a scratch on a mates door. Thank god I didn't do the whole car!

BTW: I have a Silverline Orange

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.