Making a 1.4 75bhp more responsive

Hindey

Clio 197
Nov 25, 2001
London
My 1.4 16v 100ps unit in my Arosa Sport is not great in the throttle response department. It makes blipping the throttle on a down shift more of a depress-and-hold affair, but I've gotten used to it.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
My 1.4 16v 100ps unit in my Arosa Sport is not great in the throttle response department. It makes blipping the throttle on a down shift more of a depress-and-hold affair, but I've gotten used to it.

I would of thought that an arosa with 100 ps would go quite well?

Hindey

Clio 197
Nov 25, 2001
London
It does go well, it really does surprise bigger cars, including the pillock who tried to race me in a 'drug-dealer spec' Mitsubishi L200 in Elephant and Castle yesterday and BMW 3 series not so long ago. I will sorely miss that little car, the 1.4 16v 100ps is a brilliant engine. I test drove a C2 VTS (1.6v 125bhp) and the engine was just souless; I doubt it was much faster than my Arosa despite the 2 second difference in book time.

Throttle response is different to "going" though.

capt.slow

Revo Remap.

I intend to do the induction side after the remap as it may have more of an effect.

Hindey

Clio 197
Nov 25, 2001
London
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were supposed to do engine mods first and then the remap?

loonymoon

induction kit?

This gets confusing because I'm sure I've read in other threads that an induction kit may actually reduce the power of the engine... certainly not something I'd want to happen to my 75ps!!

The responsiveness of the 1.4 75ps - I find is a matter of fine tuning (of the driving I mean!!). Get the throttle and gear/rev ratio right and it'll go. Get it wrong and it drives like a pig. This morning I was pleasantly surprised with my car when pulling out onto a busy roundabout and I must have got it spot on as the engine went like stink and I could feel the power as I pulled out (quite a rare occurence unfortunately!).

It's a shame that you have to be so on the ball with it as if you don't get it just right, it pull out like granny's old morris minor (and that's probably a disservice to morris minors!):whistle:

Last edited:

capt.slow

Remap

The ECU remap is fixed in this instance so the state of tune doesn't matter.If you have a car on a rolling road and are adjusting the fuelling,etc as you run the car for best performance, then yes the mods should be finalised first.
I am hoping that the mods after the remap will have more of an effect then.
The Revo dealer has said that Revo are going to buy an ECU the same as mine and work on a code for it when it arrives.I am told that they may have it this week.

d33pan

can anyone recommend a good brand of panel filter or an induction kit for a 1.4 75ps ibiza? does a panel filter still give that induction sound or is it more subtle than that.

capt.slow

Induction Kit

Found this on an Auto Express e-mail.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/u/r2de5544c592fc131t/buying/buying/204639/performance_air_filters.html
I have noticed that the mark 4 does not have a cold air feed into the induction,it takes only hot air from the back of the engine bay.I have never known a car before that does not have some sort of cold air feed usually from around the headlamp area!
I think that if you put on a performance air filter with some cool air ducted to it you will see a small .performance gain

16vAK

Dec 25, 2006
Spend it on coilovers etc mate and make her handle the tits around corners etc. No point going quick in a straight line if you cant keep up in the bends etc.

Also if you really want to push some extra power is cams. Even maybe some nos!

I've already sorted the handling of it mate, got it on the lowest setting on FK Highsports coilovers and have a seat sport strut brace, making it handle superb when giving it some stick.

I'm not really complaining about high end speed, in my opinion it manages to keep up very well there (well for my needs anyway) its mainly the lack in responsiveness at low-end speeds which i intend to try and improve.

This gets confusing because I'm sure I've read in other threads that an induction kit may actually reduce the power of the engine... certainly not something I'd want to happen to my 75ps!!

The responsiveness of the 1.4 75ps - I find is a matter of fine tuning (of the driving I mean!!). Get the throttle and gear/rev ratio right and it'll go. Get it wrong and it drives like a pig. This morning I was pleasantly surprised with my car when pulling out onto a busy roundabout and I must have got it spot on as the engine went like stink and I could feel the power as I pulled out (quite a rare occurence unfortunately!).

It's a shame that you have to be so on the ball with it as if you don't get it just right, it pull out like granny's old morris minor (and that's probably a disservice to morris minors!):whistle:

I know what you mean mate, sometimes it pulls off so well I think back and say why am I complaining. But then some days its just proper sluggish. When trying to pull off and you accelerate, you can feel a delay which really lets it down. :rolleyes:

I have a K&N panel filter fitted to the original airbox and I definetely notice an improvement. I would prefer this over induction kits, as yes they do sometimes reduce the power you have - i've experienced this from fitting one in my old car!

Last edited:

loonymoon

A late post on this subject but I've definately noticed an improvement in the responsivenessn of my car over the last few months. It's just ticked over 20k miles and the improvement has been noticeable for the last couple of thousand at least. So perhaps it just needs a bit longer for the engine to settle in etc??:shrug: No mods applied. Just a few tanks of Vpower but now i'm back to normal shell. Dunno why but I'm much happier with the way it's responding now than before.

Anyone else noticed a mileage related improvement?

Was thinking about adding a K&N filter - not really for the performance enhancement just because it'll save me money on air filters in the long run!!

depresion

Dec 14, 2005
The best way to improve performance on a £ per second basis is to strip everything you don't need from the car. Not that practical. A lighter flywheel is a good way to go as it's a rotational mass so you not only gain in accelerating it in the direction of the car but in accelerating it in the direction or rotation. Car makers fit big heavy ones to smooth out the power delivery, make it harder to stall and generally easyer to live with.

Poverty

I suppose the question isn't really about making the 1.4 75ps go quick .. let's face it even with all the mods it's never going to be that quick ... however the 1.4 is notoriously bad in the responsiveness department. Is this poor response mainly a complaint with the 75ps or does it also effect the higher powered 1.4's as well I wonder?? Is it a general 1.4 thing?? (I know M0rk has his own opinion on the "crapness" of the 1.4 engine so perhaps he can comment about whether this effects all versions or not!)

Don't get me wrong I love my Ibiza, but had I known I may have gone for the 1.2 over the 1.4 just because it's easier to drive. The 1.4 was a nightmare when I first got it. I did expect it to be slower than my 1.4 fiesta (90bhp) but the low rev throttle response is scarily bad when pulling out at roundabouts etc when you're not used to it. I am now used to mine so it doesn't take me by surprise anymore but... I too would be interested in anything that would make it respond better.

I think someone before on a different thread mentioned that the poor throttle response is controlled by the ECU - so perhaps there's a way of changing it without a full remap... anyone know???

I have driven bought the 1.2 (70) reference sport and the 1.4 stylance, and the 1.4 sport (85).

I found the 1.2 to be more responsive than both the 1.4's, but the 1.4 is ultimately the easier car to drive. I only find that the 1.4 is unresponsive or for better choice of words slow to pick up in first gear. At first this annoyed me and make pulling off from a standstill not the easiest, however I find the 1.4 to be plenty responsive once in 2nd, 3rd, 4th,and 5th gear. Just for some reason the car is kinda slouchy in first gear till you hit 2,500 rpm.

loonymoon

I have driven bought the 1.2 (70) reference sport and the 1.4 stylance, and the 1.4 sport (85).

I found the 1.2 to be more responsive than both the 1.4's, but the 1.4 is ultimately the easier car to drive. I only find that the 1.4 is unresponsive or for better choice of words slow to pick up in first gear. At first this annoyed me and make pulling off from a standstill not the easiest, however I find the 1.4 to be plenty responsive once in 2nd, 3rd, 4th,and 5th gear. Just for some reason the car is kinda slouchy in first gear till you hit 2,500 rpm.

Yes that is where you notice it worst- when pulling away from a standing start - probably because of the low revs. I reckon mine has got easier to drive recently though - for unknown reasons except perhaps mileage related!!! I no longer seem to get frustrated when pulling away at roundabouts etc like before. Now it just goes without the hesitation that it used to have. Whatever's happened.. I like it!!

Azubi

Yes that is where you notice it worst- when pulling away from a standing start - probably because of the low revs. I reckon mine has got easier to drive recently though - for unknown reasons except perhaps mileage related!!! I no longer seem to get frustrated when pulling away at roundabouts etc like before. Now it just goes without the hesitation that it used to have. Whatever's happened.. I like it!!

Agreed.

My SE is coming up to 20k miles and it does seem easier to drive. Seems to be easier to control when pulling away. I thought it was just down to getting used to it.

Also agree it seems fine in any other gear (although as always it can be better).

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.