Mark 4 Leon owners advice

homer hotspur

Dec 8, 2016
I have a 63 reg 1.2 TSI Leon and have been very happy with it. Seriously thinking of looking to get a newer model / lower mileage but disappointed to find the engine options are now 1.0 TSI or 1.5 TSI , the latter of which is only available in the FR model. A couple of friends ( in the trade) purse their lips and are unconvinced by the 1.0 engine variant whilst my reading of the FR reviews suggests a less comfortable and more sporty ride which I am not looking for at my age.
Trouble is my review of possible alternatives have been underwhelming by comparison so am looking again at the 1.0 option. Any owners out there who would like to comment would be useful/appreciated.
thanks

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
The MK4 suspension is much better than the MK3. I had the facelift MK3 FR and found even with a17 inch wheel the ride was much too firm but the MK4 FR, even with an 18 inch is fine.

If you are happy with the 1.2 then you won't mind the the 1.5 130 variant, it has very similar torque and economy.

You might want to look at the software and physical controls issue first though, those were my biggest turn off when making the change.

Reactions: homer hotspur

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Agree, in my opinion the MK4 FR suspension is not as harsh as the MK3 FR. I also had the facelift MK3 FR with OE 18 inch performance alloys and the ride was very firm but my MK4 FR with 17 inch wheels is fine and much less harsh (ignoring the potholes). Both cars are 1.5 130 engines so I knew what to expect but I did experience hesitation sometimes on the MK3 which isn't present on my MK4. Love the car...and I'm (technically) a pensioner ;).

I had a hired Skoda Scala (1.0 DSG) on holiday in Australia earlier this year and have to say I was impressed by the drive and performance of the 3 cyl engine.

Although it isn't always practical a quick trip round the block with the salesman isn't reflective in owning the car for several years. Make sure the infotainment system is at least on version 1940 otherwise there will be electrical gremlins which likely haven't been sorted.

Reactions: homer hotspur

homer hotspur

Dec 8, 2016
I was interested to read yesterday that the 1.0tsi engine is being withdrawn from the new 2024 models onwards. Is this because of poor sales of this version or something else?