Mickylad's White Mk4 Ibiza PD100 to PD200 Update PG4 - Brembos and Sachs Clutch

Mickylad

Ibiza TDi
Jan 9, 2010
Ballymena
The 256mm is what I am using on the car at the minute. It's wouldn't give you the most confidence coupled with the power...

Mickylad

Ibiza TDi
Jan 9, 2010
Ballymena
Ok folks, so as promised there is a bit of an update:

First on the cars, having gathered up all the necessary parts to overall the front brakes, I decided to get to it. What I ended up with was:

Leon Cupra R Brembo Calipers (Freshly Refurbished)
Ferodo DS2500 Pads
Godspeed 323mm Vented Brake Discs
HEL Braided Brake Lines
PD130 Hubs (necessary in order to have the separate brake carrier)

With that sitting ready to go, I cracked on with the brakes, didn't get time for much pictures but got a couple during the process...

One here with the hub half off...

IMG_0409.jpg

And a quick picture of the 256mm brake setup off the car (tiny in comparison, never got time for a picture..)

IMG_0410.jpg

Another thing that I was unsure of was whether the driveshafts of the PD100 would fit the PD130 hubs, as not many people have done this upgrade on the PD100, I trial fitted them and they seemed to fit fine!

Everything tightened back up, was now time to fit the discs which are a considerable bit bigger (67mm) onto the freshly installed hub.

IMG_0411.jpg

Then test fitted the caliper to make sure everything fitted fine.

IMG_0412.jpg

Connected up the brake lines, did the other side and ready to go. The difference in phenomenal, before the brake were simply not enough for braking the car and after any sort of use at all they quickly faded.

The brake pedal feels much better now and there is not really any noticeable fade, only one thing I have noticed is they like to heat up when they are used!

Couple more pictures of the setup side on, (please excuse the dirty car!!)

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

On a side note, managed to pick myself up a 256mm rear brake setup off a V6 4Motion Golf, which when I get the time and a spacer made up will be going on the car too.

On a slighty downbeat note, the car had been parked up for about 4 weeks, due to the clutch giving way, after only recently being installed. And with the car not moving at all, I decided something had to be done, so attacked it myself with the help of my dad, dropped the gearbox out, and this is what we were treated to:

IMG_0532.jpg

Not good, was unsure before this what exactly had failed in the setup, initally thought it was the bolts holding the pressure plate on. Never the less I had tried to save a bit of money when buying that setup, hence never had any real faith in it anyways.

With that in mind, decided to go for a Sachs VR6 Clutch / Pressure Plate and a Genuine G60 Solid Flywheel, and the only picture I have of it is a box... exciting.. lol

IMG_0509.jpg

It's good to get the car back after 4 weeks without driving it let me tell you, going to give the clutch a while to bed in, as initially it did seem to be slipping, but after a bit of driving it seems to have stopped.

Whilst the airbox was completely out of the car, I decided to give my filter a clean.. as you can see it was quite dirty...

This is the colour it's supposed to be:

IMG_0529.jpg

This is the colour it was:

IMG_0530.jpg

Cleaned it as per instructions on the filter cleaned and re-oiled it and refitted it.

With all the work done to the car now, think it was time to actually give it a drive and enjoy it, so today I was up round the coastal route from Ballymena - Ballycastle, lovely roads and couldn't have got a better day for it to test everything out.

Quick wee shot I got up near Torr Head, scenery is fantastic up there!

IMG_0535.jpg

That's me done for now, all comments/suggestions as ever welcome. Thanks for looking!

Mickylad

Ibiza TDi
Jan 9, 2010
Ballymena
Have a few dirty ideas floating about my head, it's all about getting the funds together to get the ideas in reality but!

Ideally I would want to stop, sell up and get a bigger starting block for more power, but I can never justify selling it at the minute with all the money that has gone into it!

Aug 31, 2010
Lurgan, Northern Ireland
Oh yea that's true, its all money unfortunately!

For the amount of money you've spent on it, you might as well keep it for a while at least, and enjoy driving it!

Heading to any track days or shows with it this year?

Mickylad

Ibiza TDi
Jan 9, 2010
Ballymena
@markmeus - Cheers, yeah they're not the most common car, the White FR MK4 would be a bit more common but I very rarely see any more PD100 White Sportriders!

@JonnyH10 - Yeah I hope to get away to at least one this year, it's pretty hard with work and that, but the car is well set up for it now! Thats where the next plans I have will come into play as well...

Jordanwaterhous

Motorsport > Scene
Sep 15, 2009
Leeds
www.facebook.com
Where did you get the new hubs from? I've got some 288's sitting in the shed in a box waiting for new hubs, but they never appear on ebay!

Cant believe your car has the same size brakes as a 1.2, i think they're inadequate and my car weighs less than yours!

Mickylad

Ibiza TDi
Jan 9, 2010
Ballymena
Tell me about it, the brakes were in a word, Sh*t.

The hubs I bought about a year ago, can't remember how much I paid for them but you're right, they don't come up often and these came with driveshafts too, so wasn't gonna pass up on the opportunity as I knew I was gonna have to upgrade them soon enough!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.