MK 3 Leon 1.8 SC Manual....MPG?

Tally

Hi Folks

Im a newbie, so go easy on me.:)

Only had my 63 plate Leon 1.8 SC FR for a few weeks & its the first Seat I have owned so still getting to grips with it but loving it so far.

Just wondered what mpg other owners were getting?

I do a lot of town driving so with the stop/start option on & car set in eco mode I seem to be averaging around the 29 mpg figure.

Does that seem about right?

Also I left the fuel level drop until the low fuel warning sounded & when I filled up (to brim) it took 49 litres...I thought it only held 50 litres. Does that mean I only have 1 litre left in the tank when the warning sounded?

Thanks in advance for any advice etc

phil750

Jul 24, 2012
I do alot of town driving - 9 mile trip to work is probably half through normal 30 roads then onto 60 dual carriages with a lot of roundabouts to slow down for! In eco mode
and i average around 39mpg.
It did take a few weeks to bed in though, so bare with it!

I do only fill up with the premium fuels though.

Last edited:

Tally

Thanks for the info Phil.

Blimey I'm a bit concerned here...the mileage on my car is nearly 7k (not sure what your mileage is) but you are averaging 10 mpg more than me, do you think my car may have a problem?

It seems to run very nicely etc & only used Esso standard unleaded since I have had it.

Last edited by a moderator:

phil750

Jul 24, 2012
mines on about 7.5k at the minute.
It does depend so much on your journey and your driving style, i tend to stay in higher
gears which is better for fuel consuption. The petrol itself can add a few mpg.
What do you average on a motorway journey at 70?

Tally

Ive just gone from a 2.2 SR180 Diesel Auris & maybe my driving style could be a factor.

I always thought changing up the gears at low revs & getting into the highest gear as soon as possible gives you the best mpg but maybe its time I altered my driving style etc.

Not done a lot of M Way journeys yet but it does increase the MPG up to about 37 mpg.

Any hints/suggestions on best fuels to use & optimum revs for gear changes will be very welcome?

smurf123

Feb 9, 2014
swindon wiltshire
went to bournmouth 2 weeks ago was not hanging around in normal mode with start stop off returned 42mpg quite happy with that as car has only done 5600 miles

Tally

Thanks smurf.

Most of my town driving is stop start jams etc.

Is eco mode with stop/start on the best setting? Does the driving modes have any bearing on mpg?

Thanks

Toon

drives a Leon 1.8DSG
Mar 25, 2014
South East
Mine is averaging 34mpg (1.8DSG) but I do a lot of short journeys. Got about 40mpg on my last run. Always have stop-start on mind.

Tally

Thanks for your comments

It looks like you are all getting far better mpg than i am so maybe my car has an issue. Or its my driving that has an issue. Lol.

Tally

Ive use start/stop function since I got the car & have soon got used to it.

Obviously I didnt buy the car expecting it to give me high mpg & understand that mpg figures are going to vary for lots of reasons but was just expecting figures around the mid 30's around town when in eco mode & the stop/start function enabled.

I know the official mpg figs on paper are never accurate in the real world so maybe I am just expecting too much but bit concerned if I start using normal & sport mode I could have mpg figures in low 20's etc..

Maybe I should try a few tanks of "super" unleaded fuel or start using the Millers additive.

It could be useful if anyone with the same spec Leon can post their set up's so I can copy them & see if it improves things for me?

Last edited by a moderator:

smurf123

Feb 9, 2014
swindon wiltshire
why would you want to use additives i always use super unleaded as i say on journey i get 40-44mpg around town 28 ish might get more if i use start/stop but just dont like it cannot do starter motor much good keeping on starting the car but i am happy with fuel consumption as it is not even tried eco mode at all
but i cannot match the figures that seat quote 49 mpg

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
Personally I switch on Start/stop manually when I know I will be idle for a while. Im not sure why but it dont feel right when the engine switches off for 3 seconds.

My 1.8TSI DSG does 45MPG on a out of town trip and can do 35 - 40mpg in town. It does drop quite a bit when I want to have fun though so its really dependent on the driving style but thats why I love it.

And I use SPORT mode exclusively since I got the car.

Tally

Hi folks

I dont want to use additives etc (although workis out cheaper than SUL) but it seems you guys are all getting far better mpgs figs than I am, even taking into account the different driving styles, journey types etc.

I expected the DSG version of my Leon to be better on mpg but even you guys with the same manual version are getting around 10 mpg more than me.

Its not as if Im revving the whatsits off it either, I try to change up through the gears under 2.5 - 3.00 k & like I say mostly I'm in built up town traffic etc.

I think I am going to disable the start/stop option, run in normal mode with standard UL & same with SUL & see how it goes but any other thoughts & ideas will always be welcome.

Cheers

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
I do a regular round trip up to Lancaster on a weekend. Almost all motorway with cruise control set to 65mph.

Our Golf 1.9TDI typically returned 55 - 60 mpg on this journey. Yesterday our Leon 1.8TSi DSG returned 47 mpg. I am hoping that this will improve as things loosen up. Only 1100 miles on the clock at the moment.

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
Im at around 5k miles and dont think I could get more than 50 mpg on a motorway. Maybe if you go 50 - 55 mph in 7th.

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
My 1.8 manual is now approaching 8k. Don't do much slow start stop urban driving as I live in a fairly rural area and my daily drive to work does not take me through too much traffic.
I'm generally getting between 35 and 40 mpg on a mixture of main roads and country lanes for short journeys of about 8-10 miles.
On long journeys of over 100 miles mainly on motorways and main roads I usually average at around 43 mpg.

Last edited:

Toon

drives a Leon 1.8DSG
Mar 25, 2014
South East
I do a regular round trip up to Lancaster on a weekend. Almost all motorway with cruise control set to 65mph.

Our Golf 1.9TDI typically returned 55 - 60 mpg on this journey. Yesterday our Leon 1.8TSi DSG returned 47 mpg. I am hoping that this will improve as things loosen up. Only 1100 miles on the clock at the moment.

So I had a go at replicating your driving style tonight as I took a trip around the M25. Got a reading of 47.7 MPG so very similar to you. My car has now done just over 4000 miles so I wouldn't expect it to loosen up much more. Quite happy with that though.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.