Mk 5 Ibiza on Fifth Gear

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Did anyone see the 'review' of the Mk 5 Ibiza on Fifth Gear this week? They put it up against their current favourite, the new Fiesta, and it was their usual strange review.

Firstly they loaded the boots up with toilet rolls to see which could hold the most. This is because both cars are bought as 'shopping trolleys'. The Ibiza won. They then tried parking them in a restricted space to test visibility and manouevrability. Once again the Ibiza won - just. Finally, they let some of the cars' target buyers, girls, drive them to see which they preferred. Two of them thought the Fiesta was better and one preferred the Ibiza. So, in the end, they gave the Ibiza 8 points and the Fiesta 9.

It was a pathetic review but at least it was a chance to see the Ibiza on telly.

Last edited:

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
how did the fiesta win if it won one of 3 challanges?

surely ibiza sould of got 8 and fiesta like 5

The blurb below the clip says 'Tom Ford takes the new Fiesta and Ibiza through a series of deeply practical tests - then brings in the girls for the final verdict.' The girls voted 2 to 1 in favour of the Fiesta.

To be honest the review of the Ibiza was more favourable than I expected, given that the Fifth Gear website review gave it 3 stars.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
It was good to see it on the telly. The 'review' wasn't very thorough tho...still probably better than what Top Gear will say about it if/when they mention it. I don't think they like Seats very much :no:

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I think the Mk V Cupra may get a mention on TG at some point, but with it's small engine I don't think they'll like it very much....
I think you're right. On the Top Gear website the Ibiza scores 7/20 against 13/20 for the Fiesta. They criticise the current range of engines and are waiting for the hotter versions before they can give a proper verdict.

spireman

The current engines are not great, im glad know my 1.4SC had a damaged door when it arrived and i rejected it. Ive bought the new Golf 1.4tsi which is on another planet, why didnt VW let Seat put it straight in the new ibiza.

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
With regards to the engines available to SEAT buyers, VW are notorious for doing this to SEAT, for example the Leon FR STILL doesnt have the new Common Rail diesel engine but the Mk5 golf got it.

This is because VW don't want people to think that SEAT cars are better than theirs so they hold various engines and technology back from SEAT to stop them stealing sales from VW models.