Ibiza FR 2017 strange noise

May 6, 2023
Hi guys. First thread on this site.
I bought a Seat Ibiza FR 2017 (17 reg) in February of this year from a 2nd hand non franchise dealer. Pretty much ever since I’ve had it, I notice a strange sound in first or second gear when moving off. To be honest, I haven’t really worried about it because I’ve done over 3500 miles (travel with work) in the car since I’ve bought it and no problems so far. The noise disappears when I go into a higher gear or increase the revs. It doesn’t appear to happen on a cold engine, only when warmed.

I still have about 3 months left of my extended 6 month warranty so wanted to see if it was anything that would cause my issues down the line now. I haven’t approached the dealer yet as I wasn’t too happy about their service when sorting out a missing part (parcel shelf) they promised to sort but took forever to actually sort. I’d rather go to them with some knowledge first if anyone has any ideas. I’m not particularly car savvy, so it could be something really obvious for all I know.

additional info: 1.2 TSI Petrol engine.

Link to YouTube video of the noise

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As usual with phone audio recordings made within a car, it is quite tricky for most if not all people to hear what you are trying to report.

Just one question, is it not just normal horrible gearbox related noises that disappear at higher gears + revs?

Edit:- the term "normal" being a bit tricky to explain, some people hear it, others turn the radio up, I'd think that you will have a 6 speed manual gearbox, though probably "same family" 5 speed gearbox will also, or can, make these noises.

I'm not trying to stop you trying to get it resolved, but the expression "due to normal wear and tear" is probably going to be the stock answer handed out to you by a seller's warranty person.

May 6, 2023
As usual with phone audio recordings made within a car, it is quite tricky for most if not all people to hear what you are trying to report.

Just one question, is it not just normal horrible gearbox related noises that disappear at higher gears + revs?

Edit:- the term "normal" being a bit tricky to explain, some people hear it, others turn the radio up, I'd think that you will have a 6 speed manual gearbox, though probably "same family" 5 speed gearbox will also, or can, make these noises.

I'm not trying to stop you trying to get it resolved, but the expression "due to normal wear and tear" is probably going to be the stock answer handed out to you by a seller's warranty person.
Yeah appreciate it is a little hard to hear on the video from inside the car.

It is a 5 speed gearbox I have. I’m not sure if it is a gearbox noise, I can’t rule that out.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.