MK1 Leon FR TDI, Stealth Edition [PREPPING FOR SALE]

4937Liam

Jan 12, 2010
Lakenheath, Suffolk.
Haven't been on here for a while but i see you've been very busy with your FR. In regards to selling up... hmmmm i can see its tempting but im certain you'll fall in love again once the clutch and flywheel are sorted and with a map too you'll be grining from ear to ear.
Im looking into Hybrid options as im pretty keen to get around 230bhp out of mine. The mk1 Leon is ageing well and has so much more soul then any 'newer style' BMW all of which seem to look the same these days one way or another.

Liam.

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
yes decided to keep for a few more years. thats when most of my financial commitments come to an end, so i will have better finance options if needed by then. Dont want to take on more then i can manage.

Anyways, the stage 2 Sachs clutch & SMF kit has arrive from Darkside Developments. Gonna get it towed to a garage later today for fitting and hopefully get it back tomorrow.

Job for the next week will be to fit the Audi TT and superpro front wishbone bushes, inspect the driveshafts, 4 wheel alignment, book it in for a stage 1 remap, and get a quote to have the LCR front bumper and mirrors painted black magic.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
mapping and spraying on hold. MOT is due this month and now it also needs new power steering rack track rod ends and ill throw a superpro steering rack bush in while iam at it. also needs punture repair on rear tyre, still needs front wishbones bushes and 4 wheel alignment. and a new n/s outer cv boot or completey change the driveshaft

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
So the new Sachs SRE organic clutch and SMF kit arrived. Capable of 390Ft/Lbs+ of torque so future proof any performance upgrades i make. Also the uprated Audi TT and superpro wishbone bushes arrived

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
New clutch is in, but not liking how it feels, dont know if it needs bedding in or its the way its been installed or setup. Biting point is high on the pedal, and when you find the biting point the car just wants to run away, this will make stop start traffic rather annoying. Its like it only has 2 speeds, stop and run as fast as you can, there's no slipping though, just hard to get the clutch\power balance for slow cruising with such a small area of pedal travel that dosent have a gradual bite :confused:

plans for the rest of the week are get new steering rack, track rod ends, superpro wishbone and steering rack bushes, Audi TT uprated wishbone bushes, and o/s ball joint installed. Change gearbox oil and also need to get a nail removed from rear tyre, 4 wheel alignment and MOT.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
Wishbones that are only a few months old from Europarts are off the car, already bushes have cracked, so prepping them for the Audi TT uprated bushes along with superpro bushes.

Drilled out the old bushes

Also received the superpro steering rack bush, to go on with the new steering rack

Last edited:
nice leon you have here mate :)

with regards to the new clutch setup.... it'lll take time to get used to the new characteristics and the way it operates. give it time and don't be so hasty

i was the same when i went for the sachs clutch / jabbasport SMF combo on my LCR.
was a bit of a pain in stop / start traffic but you do get used to it.

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
nice leon you have here mate :)

with regards to the new clutch setup.... it'lll take time to get used to the new characteristics and the way it operates. give it time and don't be so hasty

i was the same when i went for the sachs clutch / jabbasport SMF combo on my LCR.
was a bit of a pain in stop / start traffic but you do get used to it.

so does the bite point change when it beds in or does it literally stay the same and you just get use to it ?

Last edited:

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I've got a sachs sre dual mass on my lcr and it feels ok. Different to OEM with a higher biting point but it does settle down a little. It allows faster gear changes. I believe the SMF kits are a little sharper on the bite.

Last edited:
so does the bite point change when it beds in or does it literally stay the same and you just get use to it ?

i think its a combination of both..... the clutch starts to bed in and you get used to the new transition and bite.

i've found that with every clutch change i've had that the new clutch always feels different to what was fitted before even if its a like for like change. its just sometimes the difference is a bit more noticeable.

like wild willy says.... the smf kit does make the bite a bit sharper but the kit is designed to be driven in a sportier way and not like miss daisy

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
I've got a sachs sre dual mass on my lcr and it feels ok. Different to OEM with a higher biting point but it does settle down a little. It allows faster gear changes. I believe the SMF kits are a little sharper on the bite.

i think its a combination of both..... the clutch starts to bed in and you get used to the new transition and bite.

i've found that with every clutch change i've had that the new clutch always feels different to what was fitted before even if its a like for like change. its just sometimes the difference is a bit more noticeable.

like wild willy says.... the smf kit does make the bite a bit sharper but the kit is designed to be driven in a sportier way and not like miss daisy

thanks for the input guys :D

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
Uprated solid Audi TT and Superpro wishbones bushes in and cleaned up the wishbone. Getting the TT bushes in without a vice was an utter nightmare :censored:

Richy Cupra

Fully paid member
Jul 6, 2011
Essex
Good updates mate, I reckon you might have broken the record for the longest lasting OE clutch! lol Nice you have changed the bushes as well, Euro's typical top quality products ;)

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
Good updates mate, I reckon you might have broken the record for the longest lasting OE clutch! lol Nice you have changed the bushes as well, Euro's typical top quality products ;)

cheers, yes most of the 192k on the clutch was motorway miles so propably made it last that much longer. Hoping that the bushes, along with a new steering rack, track rod ends and 4 wheel alignment should sort out the steering issues.

Last edited:

Richy Cupra

Fully paid member
Jul 6, 2011
Essex
If that was town driving then I don't think it would have lasted 150k let alone 192k :D Should feel like a brand new car again mate with all that done!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members