mk2 Golf GTI 16v or mk2 Ibiza GTI 16v?

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
my ladies

DSC06127.jpg

Photo-0027.jpg

ibiza is a decent daily to be fair bit more refined ect, but just look at the golf[B)]
ibiza is the 16v the golf is an 8v... kind of and it definatly needs alloys on it.

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
Golf MK2 GTi everyday for me if its not going to be a daily, better looking, better handling and simpler with lashings of bits out there. However due to cult status a good one is expensive, sp if your on a budget a tatty MK2 16v Ibiza is the way to go.

If you can find a MK2 Golf Syncro (the four wheel drive one) its got a 1.8 8v carb engine with the same body kit as the GTi, stick a webber carb on it and you'll have something that'll keep up with fuel injected GTi's but corners like its on rails! My mum had one and it was the most fun i've had in a VAG ;)

I thought all the Syncro's were LHD, or is that just the Rallye?

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
not jealous [:@] i swear lol

looking very sweet mate, where's the build thread?

how much did you pick up the g60 for? much mileage?

PurpleGolfMan.

Yellow FR TDI.
Nov 5, 2008
North Staffs.
Mk2 golf all the way. still got mine for the weekends and its the funnist car ive ever had!
This is my 1.8l 16V
163.jpg

This is my other golf, 2L 8V, cam, forge pistons etc running around 160bhp. Very fast for a golf!
057.jpg

Last edited:

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
heres one
http://www.********************/index.php?topic=64574.0

one update in patches, engine/box/loom/charger/ecu £800 90k on it im told, runs sweet.

Hmm... that link seems to be starred out.

I'm thinking a 16v would be a good start, then maybe add a supercharger from the mini cooper s (eaton something i think) to it at some point.

I'm trying to get a 91or92 model as it should have the big bumpers and the upraded brakes afaik.

P.S. @PurpleGolfMan. those are 2 very sweet, tidy golfs. Strangely though I think I'm starting to prefer the original 4 lamp grill like on Dolly_Gti's (black vw badge, red stripe) over the cleaner 2 lamp grill.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
Well I'm thinking about getting something fairly cheap for some petrol fun and have narrowed it down to a mk2 Golf GTI 16v (91 or 92 model) or maybe a mk2 Ibiza GTI 16v.

I don't really care which one is faster, I'm really after something that handles well and is very enjoyable to drive.

The mk2 golf gti 16v is very basic but it has a great chassis, parts are easy to source and they seem to hold their money quite well too.
I don't know much about mk2 Ibiza GTI's so I'm interested in how it compares.

I swapped my mk2 ibiza gti 16v for a j reg mk2 golf gti 16v:whistle: and the straight line speed is virtually the same, the golf corners better (in my case anyway, but my golf has bilstein b10's) and was definately a little quicker out of a 2nd gear corner..........however......less than 3 weeks of owning the golf the bottom end inexplicably seized! so now i'm in the proccess of changing it! and i've never known an abf engine do that!! before my golf broke the biggest difference I noticed was the lack of weight in the golf and the engine is a lot peakier revving to almost 7600rpm, whereas the ibiza seemed to have a large lump of midrange torque and only revved to 6950rpm. they're both equally good (well, apart from mine anyway!) and both look equally good, mk2 golf prices are getting silly though so the ibiza's are a big bargain! I also miss the sound of that ABF!!

vikki

Apr 9, 2009
Beverley, Nr Hull
i haven't driven an ibiza GTI just my TDI but i drove my ex boyfriends mk2 golf for the best part of 2 years and my current boyfriend has a mk2 golf. If you are looking for somethng that is 'fun' and you want to be able to corner quickly you need to look at the mk2 golfs, i have never seen a car that can be thrown into corners as hard as a mk2 golf. I suppose decent tyres will have to be a consideration but if your on windy roads you can keep up with almost anything in a mk2 golf. I love the look of them too.

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
I really want a 16v model, but there are very few for sale and command a big premium over the 8v.
There are a few 8v GTI's for sale in northern ireland that are going for sensible prices but I just know if i buy a 8v, I'll be kicking myself saying I should have waited till I found a 16v I want for the right kind of money.

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
pfft get the mk1 golf back on the seen, better then any others....i have a mk1 golf variant...it dont have rear seats...but a big open boot

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
Golf MK2 GTi everyday for me if its not going to be a daily, better looking, better handling and simpler with lashings of bits out there. However due to cult status a good one is expensive, sp if your on a budget a tatty MK2 16v Ibiza is the way to go.

If you can find a MK2 Golf Syncro (the four wheel drive one) its got a 1.8 8v carb engine with the same body kit as the GTi, stick a webber carb on it and you'll have something that'll keep up with fuel injected GTi's but corners like its on rails! My mum had one and it was the most fun i've had in a VAG ;)

There's one for sale on edition at the moment for £1500.
I want it lol

Ollie

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members