MK2 Ibiza 2.0 8v GTI White

vngtx

all tucked up with a blanket and teddy bear? ;) i want to do the same but ive got nowhere to store it and it cant really get much worse than the state its in now :cartman:

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Well after a couple of months feeling rather cold towards the Ibiza I had to get it out of the garage to install a tumble dryer.

First turn of the starter motor it burst into deep throaty life and sat there idling perfectly. I actually sat in the car with the windows down just listening to it idle, popping and growling as it does. I actually got lost in the noise and spent about 10 mins there because the whole car had warmed right up by the time i went to move it.

I guess to realise how great these little cars are you have to have some time out from them now and again.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Well its 8 months on from when I made my last post so I will catch you up.

The ibiza spent 6 months off the road which due to bad weather, little budget and little energy nothing happened to her apart from the battery going flat and the clutch seemingly relaxing and going very light to operate. Sadly I sold the Mazda 323 at the end of March because as good a car as it was I felt that I had done as much as I could with it and now the warmer weather was coming it would be a good time to have the GTi back out.

Back in the GTI i instantly realised that I missed the Mazda's in built 6x9 speakers which gave it such a great sound even on the factory system, I've always said i wanted to keep the car as original as possible so after an hour on ebay I had myself some pioneer 6x9's and a pre cut MK2 parcel shelf on their way to me. Sound is amasing now and I can kind of see why 6x9's are a big hit in boy racer motors. I still have the orignal un damaged shelf and rear speakers so it can be back to original in a matter of minutes and the 6x9's are just plain old black so unless your looking you won't see them.

I then spent alot of time driving her and not much else, went on a lads stag do to newcastle in her and then left her at the airport for a week while i went away. Same old faithful car started up the second i got in. It dawned on me that I hadn't cleaned her since getting her back on the road so I have been down on my hands and knees with a clay bar and she looked mint until i took her to work and she got fly splattered the next day. Why are flies so damn stupid that they can't see a car coming?

Then a big number came along

Photo0419.jpg

Photo0420.jpg

And we're up to date. I can't believe I've done 26,000 miles since i bought her without the slightest thing going wrong or the car leaving me stranded, she has been an absolute beast and could teach much newer cars a thing or two about reliability.

Next up is to rip the rear bumper off and put an original one on without parking sensors and to find another car to be my daily ride. Then carry on with the GTi as and when getting her as close as possible to mint. I'm not putting a time limit on this but once I have another daily car she won't be back out until I can put her on a classic policy full time for limited usage and thats at least two years off.

And as for MK2 magic....... i still smile every day when i come out to this

Photo0425.jpg

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Looks good Paul! I read through this only last night! Wondering where you'd been all this time! :) Nice to see you're still with us!

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Right, well I want to know what you're doing with this Paul? Any updates whatsoever? Wondering how my fellow Alpine white 8valver was doing :)

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Hi Guys, Phil you will of indeed seen her in Belper I have a rear bumper without parking sensors in my garage ready to go on ;)

Llyr, she's pretty neglected at the moment. My jobs not so safe at the moment so all none essential spending has had to stop, this includes the car. I clayed her down and got a couple of layers of Dodo juice wax on her in the last week of October but since then she's not even seen a sponge.

As she was at lunch time today..........

Photo0462.jpg

Photo0464.jpg

Photo0466.jpg

Photo0463-Copy.jpg

Photo0467-Copy.jpg

Its a shame but I'm working as much as I can to build a pile of cash up incase the worst happens so I've just not had the time to spend on her :(

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Paul, where in hells name would I find mats like you have? I'd give my left testicle for a set :(. I don't like the OEM set on FleaBay.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
They are the original mats supplied from the dealer back in 1998 my friend, they'd lost a fair bit of their glamour when i got the car so i put them in the washing machine with some colour powder and vanish and they came out spot on.

I've seen a few sets on ebay over the years, they came in three colour schemes from what I can tell. Yellow & black (mine), red & black and blue & black. They were specific to the cupra models also as the ones I had in the cordy were just plain black with a blue SEAT badge. They are also a lot softer material.

If i spot any on my travels I'll grab them and offer them up to you. Sounds crazy but there's been the odd set in some at breakers yards.

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Cheers mate! That'd be much appreciated! I know, I've seen a few blue ones, but no reds mind! Must be super rare lol. I like the yellow piping :). I recall the first pages of your thread regarding the "controversial" method of washing :p

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Paul, where in hells name would I find mats like you have? I'd give my left testicle for a set :(. I don't like the OEM set on FleaBay.

They are the original mats supplied from the dealer back in 1998 my friend, they'd lost a fair bit of their glamour when i got the car so i put them in the washing machine with some colour powder and vanish and they came out spot on.

I've seen a few sets on ebay over the years, they came in three colour schemes from what I can tell. Yellow & black (mine), red & black and blue & black. They were specific to the cupra models also as the ones I had in the cordy were just plain black with a blue SEAT badge. They are also a lot softer material.

If i spot any on my travels I'll grab them and offer them up to you. Sounds crazy but there's been the odd set in some at breakers yards.

Cheers mate! That'd be much appreciated! I know, I've seen a few blue ones, but no reds mind! Must be super rare lol. I like the yellow piping :). I recall the first pages of your thread regarding the "controversial" method of washing :p

I am lucky enough to have a set of these mats :funk:.

Think I may just clean them up and have abit of a change next year! [B)]

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.