MK4 Brake Upgrades

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Yep your sport wheels will just fit over the 312mm set up. Because it's such a tight fit the brakes will look huge!

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
Yep your sport wheels will just fit over the 312mm set up. Because it's such a tight fit the brakes will look huge!

thats good then glad they will fit

thats what i want them to look huge dont no if im keepin them red yet or do them gloss black.

also got to sort put if im gettin standed discs or vented ones yet as i need rears discs and pads aswel :cry: dont think it will be cheap

lc4geoff

FR TDI
Jan 12, 2008
Portadown, N. Ireland
Is it worth me changing my disks for drilled and grooved 288mm ones and slightly harder pads?
It's only for fast road use, following rallies and the like, no track days or anything.
I'll upgrade to the TT brakes if I need to, I was trying to avoid the expense to be honest.

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
fitted my 312s brakes today

thanks for the info

some pics to show that they fit behind standered 16s sport wheels :D

DSC02007.jpg
DSC02009.jpg
DSC02008.jpg

safm

Hi,
I have the TT setup ready to fit, but i need to know if i should use the TT hoses, or use the original hoses that came with the car?

tequilan

mk4 ibiza FR pd 130
Sep 24, 2007
somerset
ok ive just read through this thread as my brakes are nearing replacement time.....fancy going down the 312mm route....im presuming the majority of u lot are just changing the front set up? and what sort of prices should i be looking around? i can get a pair of mintex solid face front discs off fleabay for £120.....
ive got 130pd fr so im not gonna be needing to change hubs and still need to look into price for rest of the goodies :)
just out of interest, are there any companies on here that do the entire kit? ive had a quick look but cant find anything - and i know the stealers are gonna live up to their name hahaha
ben

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
i payed £117 calipers carryers and hoses then i payed £43 for the standered discs and £20 for standered pads

got the caliper carryers and hoses from the TT Shop if that helps

tequilan

mk4 ibiza FR pd 130
Sep 24, 2007
somerset
right well i found a brand new set of calipers and carriers on ebay for £165 +p&p.....but i had a chat with vince from the tt shop (thanks for pointing them out to me, adam ;)) and have bought some complete with hoses from there for £115ish (sh) and im happy with that deal. cant fault the service either - really nice bloke, would recommend the tt shop for anyone wanting to get these.....im in the process of getting the mintex discs and pads - just finding the cheapest price atm. i want to get some standard rear fr calipers too if anybody has some for sale? as gonna be cleaning and painting the calipers in one job lot so they can be put on at the same time :)

tequilan

mk4 ibiza FR pd 130
Sep 24, 2007
somerset
took delivery of the calipers and carriers today, they're ma"hu"sive!!! and they're painted red - i was thinking of painting them a different colour tbh......the current paint seems to be in good nick, would it be a good idea to remove it before applying the new paint, as i want to paint them yelllow.... i will be using hammerite if thats any help :)
ben

danmarley

Aug 26, 2006
can anyone tell me if the tt hoses are needed/recommended wen fitting the 312mm discs?

cheers

Dan

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
can anyone tell me if the tt hoses are needed/recommended wen fitting the 312mm discs?

cheers

Dan

you can use the standard ones but they are quite short so if you can get the TT ones then do it as it gives so much more movement

tequilan

mk4 ibiza FR pd 130
Sep 24, 2007
somerset
got one of calipers half finished with the paint - smooth yellow hammerite seems to work ok (off the car atleast lol) this is propably just common sense, but i think lots of thin coats of paint are better than a just a couple of thick coats. i havent done anything like this before so after id completely cleaned the calipers and carriers, i started slapping a thick layer on, and i was left tending to it like an icecream on a hot day - dribbles everywhere! lol ive just finished the second coat and its looking much much better - im thinking one or maybe two more coats and they'll be mutz nuts. i'll be putting up a readers ride thread in next few weeks and i'll be putting photos up of the process.