Mk4 ibiza sport 130... Work in progress

Davidkent89

Oct 28, 2014
Well, I'm pretty new here, but as I've asked a lot of questions already I figured I'd start a project thread.

Bought this locally for me for the grand sum of £650. It's high miles and rough around the Edges, but should serve me just fine.

It's done 178k, but a major purchase point was a recent single solid flywheel conversion - I don't know which, all the paperwork was 'lost'.

Service book didn't say much, so the first thing I did was a service, oil and filter, pollen filter, air filter, fuel filter, and removed gubbins from inside he airbox, and cleaned and blanked both the EGR, replaced thermostat and flushed coolant - wow, it was like a new car already!

Bought a few goodies, the tyres were all shot, so I sourced some TT comps in 17" with virtually new tyres, £300 delivered - I was chuffed, then ordered some coilovers, second hand to keep the cost down of course, and have a single seat centre cap in the post, to see if it fits before ordering 4!

Chucked some Lego dust caps on, because I can, de-wipered and de-badged the tailgate too, and as both door cards are coming apart, one for the window, the other for the door catch switch, I've ordered the door pin removal blanks, the pins are a pig to put back and I don't like them anyway!

Passenger window doesn't work, and after replacing a cable with one from the scrappy, it shredded that too, so I've ordered the whole regulator, to be here tomorrow fingers crossed.

Replaced the central comfort unit thing, because my wipers don't stop properly, they go back up a bit after stopping, this didn't fix the issue so the seller is sending me another, just in case...

Picking up a me arch lining for the passenger side Saturday, because one of my old tyres was so bad and my spare wouldn't hold any air (since fixed this), I borrowed my mates golf spare with a 65 profile tyre - FAIL... Bye bye arch lining.

Broke down, turned out to have lost a clip off the clutch breather / bleeding assembly, so £40 later that's all fixed.

Only had the car about 3 weeks, in some ways it's come along miles, and others it's gone down hill.

NEAR FUTURE PLANS:

Fit coilovers, and poly bush the wishbones while I'm at it, oh and adjustable drop links too.
Fit new front wheel arch lining
Keep investigating wipers fault
Disable selective locking and auto locking
Fix window on passenger side
Fix door catch on drivers side
Renew gearbox oil
Adjust handbrake slightly
Replace sidelight and number plates bulbs as half are blown anyway, with LEDs.
Investigate airbag light, could just be a code to clear (fingers crossed)
Replace broken scuttle panel

FURTHER FUTURE FOR THE TIME BEING:

Investigate my flickery temp gauge needle light, same applies for right hand side of speedo
Also figure out why temp gauge doesn't sit at 90 like all my other vags, I think the needle is a tad out.
Investigate hot start, though suffer occasional slow turning at cold so most likely battery
Decat
Seat sport strut brace
Maybe some HIDs and wind deflectors, even pressed plates
Source a new drivers seat as mines worn on the bolster

Find any other cheap / free mods I can do to improve the car a touch more...

There's probably plenty more, but I'm hopeless!
Sorry for all the words, first post is always like that haha :handbags:

Mankey pollen filter LOL

Last edited:

Davidkent89

Oct 28, 2014
This is her :)

Passenger window fixed and de door pinned (waiting on blanks for both sides), nightmare issues fitting front coilovers but rears are on.

Got one centre cap on the way so I can see that it fits before ordering a set.

Hoping for a dry Saturday so I can dismantle the wiper motor, change the oil and maybe even gear oil... Will see though I guess.
Cheers

Davidkent89

Oct 28, 2014
Small update:

Wiper issue fitted ater some small adjustments on the motor and figuring out how to actually remove the scuttle panel!

Set of 4 centre caps have arrived with obe of my door pin blank plugs which I think is for the drivers side which I haven't done yet. Waiting on the passenger one still to arrive.

Looks a whole load cleaner with them on and now the wipers are proper it makes me feel happy :)

Had all 4 wheels balanced earlier by a friend for a tenner and that's made a huge difference also.

More pics to follow next time I see the car in daylight so probably next weekend now as I've had a work offer I financially can't refuse for tomorrow :)

Last edited:

Davidkent89

Oct 28, 2014
Totally had zero time lately. Need to update this..

Coilys are on just need fine tweaking for height
centre caps are in
that is basically all I've done other than wishbone bushes and service.

Next Up:

Gearbox sump tool
change gearbox oil
Lower a tad more and level out height
repair washer jet hose
Fit new arch lining on passenger side
take some pictures

Fix drivers door catch STILL
finish passenger door rattle STILL...

Then perhaps performance stuff if possible :/
One day!

18th on the clock now though.
Limited on time due to moving out but will all get there soon enough!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.