• Yes. A few problems , but they're sorted now

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Doubtful. Ive had significant build quality problems

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Doubtful.Ive had significant electrical problems

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doubtful.Ive significant mechanical problems

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Definitely not. An absolute nightmare .

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

deezal

Sep 28, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
Ive had my car 4.5 years from new now,will be changing it next year when the Mk 5 comes out so thought it would be a good time to do a survey on here about how happy people are with their Mk4 ?

I mean, Ive had very little trouble with mine but how common is that ? :shrug:

Im obviously not talking about things like looks or performance here but more how does your car live up to the VW reputation of quality and reliability?

I like what Ive read about the MK5 but with other tempting new VW group cars coming out like the Audi A1 Ill have to think long and hard about where to spend my hard -earned cash ... :blink:

Deleted member 13581

Not had many problems with mine, just the usual 1s. But i would be more than happy to buy another MK4 but possibly FR or Cupra. :lol:

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
More than happy with mine. May consider the mk5 when it comes out, but im happy to run my baby for a while yet. Usually change my cars every 2 years, im over half way through my 3rd year now, and still love it.

Never let me down, not once. Cant fault the car.

Oct 12, 2005
I like mine but prefered my leon...both very good cars but in June I will selling up and buying a BMW 3 series convertible 328. I am sure that is controversial around here but hey ho!

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
The first one I had was a bit of a dog - needed a new gearbox after 2 months! But the 2nd one has been just brilliant. 33k miles in 18 months and I've never had a problem with it, never bored with driving it either. I wouldn't say I'd buy another MK4 though (only because it's close to the end of it's lifespan), the next car (a good 4/5 years away) will be either a Leon or a MK5 Ibiza.

moodswinger

My 55 reg Cupra 160 has been back into the stealers more than 4 times now to get the alarm and passenger lock sorted (still not fixed)!! Apart from that just the usual light misting and a few rattles which you expect, oh and of course the tyre munching (but thats as much to do with my driving style)!!!
Can't complain though its great fun, will keep it for a year or so and then, go for something a little faster.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Good point... that car has been excellent... only a few minor problems... but the dealers :whistle: no comment.

MK8

I wouldnt, dont really like the cheap interior, but then again i bought a 'cheap' trim level, so a bit stupid to complain about actually! Ive had major problems with the entire steering system, which has put me off for life!! I think i would like the car and be put off less if it wernt for those problems. Want a leon cupra tdi next!

Jun 24, 2007
durham
i have had a few problems which seat havnt sorted after quite a few trips but other than that its not bad dont think i will be going seat next tho i like a change

deezal

Sep 28, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
I will not buy another mk4

far to old hat now, waiting to see the FR/CUPRA mk5 or maybe a mk2 leon FR

Yeah well obviously most of us wont actually be buying another mk4 as they are old hat /soon to be replaced . I meant hypothetically , given your experience of it.
Must say a lot of people complain of rattles and trim falling off, but Ive never had that. Then I hardly ever drive on bumpy roads ..

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Yeah well obviously most of us wont actually be buying another mk4 as they are old hat /soon to be replaced . I meant hypothetically , given your experience of it.
Must say a lot of people complain of rattles and trim falling off, but Ive never had that. Then I hardly ever drive on bumpy roads ..

hypothetically yes deffo would buy another :D

BIGALUK

had mines nearly 3 years now not had any problems reallllllly except the damn clutch burnt out after 6 months,there great cars if im getting another seat it be a cupra if not an evo or lexus soarer gtbut that'll be a few years time

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
I wouldn't bother with another Ibiza but I would buy another Seat (probably a Leon).
I bought my car new, love driving it but have had a few problems. :shrug:

Drivers door window refused to completely open on the day I collected the car.
Gear knob adjusted because of rattle.
Complete offside respray (3 times for colour match! [:@]) when lacquer came off.
Rear washer pipe came adrift in engine bay (twice).
Both headlights replaced because of misting.
Handbrake trim came off in my hand.
Rear wiper only lasted 4 months.
Battery replaced.
Passenger door hinge bolts came loose.

Just now the handbrake is making the rear brakes bind.

Regards Guy.

Last edited:

phil_monk

Aug 19, 2007
I have only had mine 2 months now and all the problems i have had are dealer related. I think the car is brillient and the only thing it has been in for is the damage to the spare wheel from the bot floor (if you have a Cupra check yours) and some rattles.

I think the dealer realy lets the SEAT name down.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.