MK8 Golf R

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
Thoughts, opinions, general musings?

I've ordered a basic spec Golf R to replace a MK4 Leon 300, it was recommended to me that if I want it quicker stay away from surplus options. Although If it comes anywhere near VW's stated time it'll be a miracle.. I've test drove one and they are rapid cars with some mighty fine brakes, all the VW group infotainment gremlins still exist but the new RW torque vectoring diff does make it feel a bit more agile in the corners (even if it was a placebo).

However don't hold back just because I've purchased one and once I have it in four months (maybe) I'll do a proper comparison between the Golf / Leon.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
I had a mk7 R until June and it was a great car so the mk8 would’ve been the next logical car…..until I saw the prices and interior - it just didn’t do anything for me. I could’ve gone through a broker which would’ve brought the price down with all the extras but it just didn’t do anything for me. After very little deliberation, it was struck off my shortlist of cars. It was among some very good company - C43 AMG, M2 Competition, RS3, M340i and a wild card in the form of an Alfa Quadrifoglio. One thing all these cars have in common - they all have engines with more than four cylinders. I didn’t want a farty four pot so that was another minus point for the R. In the end, I didn’t choose any of them! I bought an M440i instead! Eight months old with 4,200 miles on the clock with £10k of extras! It was £64,500 when new - I paid £47,000 for it - which was close to what a mk8 R in the spec I wanted was. It’s a fantastic car and is ridiculously quick! It’s supposed to be 370 BHP and 4.5 to 60. Mine dyno’d at 404 and hits 60 in 3.6 in the dry. Great on a long run too. Quite heavy but surprisingly agile for its size and weight. I’m on the VWR forum and sadly, some members are having various gremlins with the infotainment system, heated seats, adaptive cruise control and a few rattles here and there plus there seems to be regular software updates - which is a shame as it’s a great handling car. Some people will put up with the issues due to the drive which is fair enough but for me, it would take the shine off the ownership. So far, my 440 has been faultless - the interior quality is great and the idrive 7 infotainment system is fantastic plus the Sprint mode is a hoot! Why not join the VWROC forum and take a look at various people’s thoughts etc? Then you can see what you think.
11e00923fcaa9ab2537d364887fc2880.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Natedawg and Rich.T

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
It was among some very good company - C43 AMG, M2 Competition, RS3, M340i and a wild card in the form of an Alfa Quadrifoglio. One thing all these cars have in common - they all have engines with more than four cylinders. I didn’t want a farty four pot so that was another minus point for the R. In the end, I didn’t choose any of them! I bought an M440i instead! Eight months old with 4,200 miles on the clock with £10k of extras! It was £64,500 when new - I paid £47,000 for it - which was close to what a mk8 R in the spec I wanted was. It’s a fantastic car and is ridiculously quick! It’s supposed to be 370 BHP and 4.5 to 60. Mine dyno’d at 404 and hits 60 in 3.6 in the dry.
Comparing a second hand M440i to a brand new Golf is completely apples / oranges. Nobody pay's list, second hand cars always lose a fair bit of money and you're comparing it to a new car. Mine was 35.8K OTR new, compared to a base spec M440i after discounts (updated to reflect cheaper deals) there's a 15.2K difference. So in short they're in a different price bracket / league and the Golf R is a competitor to the M135i..

Personally I'm done with overpowered large saloons, had an F series M4, 335D and the Golf is replacing a Stinger GTS 3.3V6. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy them but only used a fraction of their power and paid a lot for the privilege. Plus the Leon 300 did have some hard to ignore stand out abilities like handling.. Ultimately I'm just more into hatches with a bit of oomph nowadays.

As for VWRoc, I discussed with Syphon (this site owner) about having a sub-forum for people who have left the Seat / Cupra brand. If there's enough vested interest in discussing other brands it might become a thing so keep the traffic flowing :)..

Last edited:

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Comparing a second hand M440i to a brand new Golf is completely apples / oranges. Nobody pay's list, second hand cars always lose a fair bit of money and you're comparing it to a new car. Mine was 35.8K OTR new, compared to a base spec M440i after discounts (updated to reflect cheaper deals) there's a 15.2K difference. So in short they're in a different price bracket / league and the Golf R is a competitor to the M135i..

Personally I'm done with overpowered large saloons, had an F series M4, 335D and the Golf is replacing a Stinger GTS 3.3V6. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy them but only used a fraction of their power and paid a lot for the privilege. Plus the Leon 300 did have some hard to ignore stand out abilities like handling.. Ultimately I'm just more into hatches with a bit of oomph nowadays.

As for VWRoc, I discussed with Syphon (this site owner) about having a sub-forum for people who have left the Seat / Cupra brand. If there's enough vested interest in discussing other brands it might become a thing so keep the traffic flowing :)..

It’s not really apples and oranges. There was only about a £5k difference between the 8R I specced against my 440. My 440 only had 4,000 miles on it. Doesn’t bother me whether it’s new or secondhand - I look at everything in my budget. I’ve had hot hatches for years - four Leon Cupras of various types and my mk7 R - all were good cars. The 8R did absolutely nothing for me, especially given the stupid, virtually buttonless interior and infotainment system plus the fact it’s causing so many problems - not even the drive, which I didn’t find as good as I was expecting, could make up for the poor infotainment system and interior quality. As for overpowered, at a shade over 400 BHP, it’s hardly overpowered at all. Especially as the Golf is 203 BHP per ton and the 440 is 215 BHP per ton - so not overpowered at all compared to the Golf. Whilst the Golf and 440 are two completely different types of car, when I compared the spec between the two cars, £5k is peanuts. On top of that, my mk7 R was a three door and looked far better, imo, than the 5 door mk8 - hence why I chose a two door BMW instead of the four door. Problem is, you’re asking for people’s opinions and everybody’s opinions will be different as people want different things from a car. Hope you enjoy the car either way!

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
.Problem is, you’re asking for people’s opinions and everybody’s opinions will be different as people want different things from a car. Hope you enjoy the car either way!

Agreed and my opinion is allowed to be contrary to yours (even if I do concur on a few topics).

Anyway the point is usually you can get any second hand car cheaper.. Not at the moment however, I've seen Golf R's going for 50K+ :ROFLMAO:.. Although even new I've seen well specc'd new cars far cheaper than 47K although the price keeps rising. But the real fiscal attraction comes from leasing, someone on here got offered one for 300 a month and a 1.8K, I was offered one for less than a BMW 118i / Cupra 300 VZ3.. That's a lot of power for little money in the world of performance cars.

After that grievances like the shambles of an infotainment system, less than stellar interior and haptics become a bit less staggering (IMO of course). As for power this is a stepping stone I guess, I think the Golf is overpowered as well and in terms of useable power I'd be more inclined to get something like a Toyota GR86.. Again this is IMO but it does become laborious to state that after every sentence, without a bit of leeway and contrary debate there's no real discussion even if the end result is always whatever works for you.

Just to note my other half disagree's on the whole power thing and wanted to re-map our M4 LOL.. They like fast saloon's with tons of kit but simply put I'm not a fan.. Which is good because I save us a fortune :D.

Last edited:
Reactions: xyz

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Agreed and my opinion is allowed to be contrary to yours (even if I do concur on a few topics).

Anyway the point is usually you can get any second hand car cheaper.. Not at the moment however, I've seen Golf R's going for 50K+ :ROFLMAO:.. Although even new I've seen well specc'd new cars far cheaper than 47K although the price keeps rising. But the real fiscal attraction comes from leasing, someone on here got offered one for 300 a month and a 1.8K, I was offered one for less than a BMW 118i / Cupra 300 VZ3.. That's a lot of power for little money in the world of performance cars.

After that grievances like the shambles of an infotainment system, less than stellar interior and haptics become a bit less staggering (IMO of course). As for power this is a stepping stone I guess, I think the Golf is overpowered as well and in terms of useable power I'd be more inclined to get something like a Toyota GR86.. Again this is IMO but it does become laborious to state that after every sentence, without a bit of leeway and contrary debate there's no real discussion even if the end result is always whatever works for you.

Just to note my other half disagree's on the whole power thing and wanted to re-map our M4 LOL.. They like fast saloon's with tons of kit but simply put I'm not a fan.. Which is good because I save us a fortune :D.

Yup - I’ve seen new RS3s for £73k. Absolutely barmy. I’ve never leased tbh. I prefer to own my cars after paying money. I use a combination of a deposit and interest free credit cards.

Reactions: Firaxis

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
Well I've finally managed to compare the Cupra Leon 300 Mk4 and Golf R. Due time as my Stinger GTS goes back today, it's going to be a while before a new car is built so I've bought a Toyota Corolla as an intermediary which made me contemplate cancelling the order entirely. After all that 1.8L Toyboata is a fine runaround proficient at getting one from A to B. As you can probably tell I've gained a slight indifference to cars at this point but if nothing else that means low amounts of bias in this miniature review.

Checking todays prices via Nationwide leasing / Lease Loco the MK8 R is still 47 PPM + 585 deposit cheaper than a 128ti. The Cupra Leon 300 is a bit more expensive (14PPM and 11 quid deposit) but lease deals are currently focussed around the VZ3 which has a lot more kit as standard. Okay, let's begin:

Negatives:

Interior: I spouted some pretty harsh words against the Cupra Leon's interior aesthetics but the Golf has it beat, Y'know what I could describe every part of it but let's be blunt. If you value interior aesthetic's above drivability etc. this is probably not the car for you. Winner: Leon

Brakes: What is it with VW brakes lately (the none Brembo one's)? They "appear" to have ample stopping power but no bite at all, almost a spongey / resistant response and not exactly confidence inspiring in cars this quick. I remember driving down to test drive a 19 plate Octavia VRS in my MK4 Cupra and suffice to say I nearly went through the window when dabbing the brakes in the Octavia. Winner: Golf (I suppose)

In between:

Economy: The Golf heavily depends on how you drive it but they share the same engine and mid 30's is entirely possible. Winner: Tied first place

Infotainment: It's still relatively unfathomable at first glance but the Golf's infotainment compared to the Leon MK4 was relatively snappy and worked as expected. A lot of issues still apparently surround ACC but personally I have no use or need for it.. What made the biggest difference is a few well placed quick access menu's, climate control for example and the steering wheel access to drive modes. Whilst it's still a pretty dismal system I didn't have to spend much time messing around with it either. Winner: Golf

Positives:

Handling: The Golf has very precise direct steering, not especially well weighted and it does have a somewhat artificial nature but extremely competent, quick, fun and a general pleasure to drive. The Stinger I had couldn't touch either one of these cars in the handling department and the Leon is especially nimble plus it has a better turning circle than the Golf. Winner: Leon

Traction and control: There's no real comparison here, on the road the Golf felt pretty much infallible and the level of grip was mind boggling. The Leon is simply outclassed in this department.. Winner: Golf

Sound system: Coming from other makes I'm impressed with the stock stereo's in both the Leon and Golf, plenty of bass, ample clarity and a pleasant system to enjoy alongside your pops, crackles and mobile disco LED interior. Winner: Tied first place

Ride comfort: The Golf's ride comfort was surprisingly good on 18's, it's difficult to compare as you by default will probably end up with 19's on the Cupra however the Golf also seemed to have better insulation and road noise was hardly noticeable. The seats in both were extremely comfortable and the extendable arm rest is a nice bonus. Winner: Golf

Sound: Very subjective matter, the Golf seems to have a more artificial yet guttural sound alongside its pops and farts however the Leon is more raucous in a natural sense. IMO.. Winner: Tied first place

Power: The Golf has only 20HP more than the Leon.. *Sarcastic voice: Yeah, sure, okay buddy. After owning a MK4 Cupra 300 and test driving another two I still believe that it's underpowered for a 300HP car. But in reality said Cupra is more than enough for the road and safe overtaking.. The Golf however is overpowered for a 320HP car and is in most scenario's utterly relentless, still laggy like the Cupra but once it decides to play the Golf is off like a rocket and that chassis could handle so much more. Instant winner: Golf

Summary:

It's personal, YMMV and so on. If interior aesthetics and level of kit is important you than the Leon is obviously the clear winner. If one is more focussed on an all round more accomplished hot hatch then you may prefer the Golf. For me personally I was impressed enough by the MK8 R to keep my order in place. That being said I'm fine with a base spec car on a lease where it's a lot of car for the money, if I was paying cash or financing a well specc'd Golf I'd be forever peaking over the M340i's fence..

Last edited:
Reactions: xyz

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Well I've finally managed to compare the Cupra Leon 300 Mk4 and Golf R. Due time as my Stinger GTS goes back today, it's going to be a while before a new car is built so I've bought a Toyota Corolla as an intermediary which made me contemplate cancelling the order entirely. After all that 1.8L Toyboata is a fine runaround proficient at getting one from A to B. As you can probably tell I've gained a slight indifference to cars at this point but if nothing else that means low amounts of bias in this miniature review.

Checking todays prices via Nationwide leasing / Lease Loco the MK8 R is still 47 PPM + 585 deposit cheaper than a 128ti. The Cupra Leon 300 is a bit more expensive (14PPM and 11 quid deposit) but lease deals are currently focussed around the VZ3 which has a lot more kit as standard. Okay, let's begin:

Negatives:

Interior: I spouted some pretty harsh words against the Cupra Leon's interior aesthetics but the Golf has it beat, Y'know what I could describe every part of it but let's be blunt. If you value interior aesthetic's above drivability etc. this is probably not the car for you. Winner: Leon

Brakes: What is it with VW brakes lately (the none Brembo one's)? They "appear" to have ample stopping power but no bite at all, almost a spongey / resistant response and not exactly confidence inspiring in cars this quick. I remember driving down to test drive a 19 plate Octavia VRS in my MK4 Cupra and suffice to say I nearly went through the window when dabbing the brakes in the Octavia. Winner: Golf (I suppose)

In between:

Economy: The Golf heavily depends on how you drive it but they share the same engine and mid 30's is entirely possible. Winner: Tied first place

Infotainment: It's still relatively unfathomable at first glance but the Golf's infotainment compared to the Leon MK4 was relatively snappy and worked as expected. A lot of issues still apparently surround ACC but personally I have no use or need for it.. What made the biggest difference is a few well placed quick access menu's, climate control for example and the steering wheel access to drive modes. Whilst it's still a pretty dismal system I didn't have to spend much time messing around with it either. Winner: Golf

Positives:

Handling: The Golf has very precise direct steering, not especially well weighted and it does have a somewhat artificial nature but extremely competent, quick, fun and a general pleasure to drive. The Stinger I had couldn't touch either one of these cars in the handling department and the Leon is especially nimble plus it has a better turning circle than the Golf. Winner: Leon

Traction and control: There's no real comparison here, on the road the Golf felt pretty much infallible and the level of grip was mind boggling. The Leon is simply outclassed in this department.. Winner: Golf

Sound system: Coming from other makes I'm impressed with the stock stereo's in both the Leon and Golf, plenty of bass, ample clarity and a pleasant system to enjoy alongside your pops, crackles and mobile disco LED interior. Winner: Tied first place

Ride comfort: The Golf's ride comfort was surprisingly good on 18's, it's difficult to compare as you by default will probably end up with 19's on the Cupra however the Golf also seemed to have better insulation and road noise was hardly noticeable. The seats in both were extremely comfortable and the extendable arm rest is a nice bonus. Winner: Golf

Sound: Very subjective matter, the Golf seems to have a more artificial yet guttural sound alongside its pops and farts however the Leon is more raucous in a natural sense. IMO.. Winner: Tied first place

Power: The Golf has only 20HP more than the Leon.. *Sarcastic voice: Yeah, sure, okay buddy. After owning a MK4 Cupra 300 and test driving another two I still believe that it's underpowered for a 300HP car. But in reality said Cupra is more than enough for the road and safe overtaking.. The Golf however is overpowered for a 320HP car and is in most scenario's utterly relentless, still laggy like the Cupra but once it decides to play the Golf is off like a rocket and that chassis could handle so much more. Instant winner: Golf

Summary:

It's personal, YMMV and so on. If interior aesthetics and level of kit is important you than the Leon is obviously the clear winner. If one is more focussed on an all round more accomplished hot hatch then you may prefer the Golf. For me personally I was impressed enough by the MK8 R to keep my order in place. That being said I'm fine with a base spec car on a lease where it's a lot of car for the money, if I was paying cash or financing a well specc'd Golf I'd be forever peaking over the M340i's fence..

I hope you don’t get the same gremlins that some are having over on the VWROC forum. It seems to be a daily routine of ACC, heated seat, air con control issues plus a few other things. People having to do hard resets etc. Even if the car was a good drive, personally, it wouldn’t make up for all the other issues plus the amount of times people have had to go back to dealerships for problems to be dealt with - and all that on top of centre console rattles and squeaks. It really isn’t good enough for what’s supposed to be a premium brand. Fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: Firaxis
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise