MOT fail on "Power steering pipe/hose leaking front"

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
My car failed it's MOT on power steering leak but I cannot find a leak anywhere, any ideas where I might find it? What the issue might be? it sounds a little harsh for an MOT fail?

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Ask the garage that did the MOT to show you what the problem is.
I did but they couldn't show me as they were busy, I fixed everything else that was wrong just cannot find any leak, the power steering fluid did not seem low when I checked so could they have got it wrong and there is not leak?

I have the retest tomorrow but would like it ideally sorted before then.

Last edited:

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
I did but they couldn't show me as they were busy, I fixed everything else that was wrong just cannot find any leak, the power steering fluid did not seem low when I checked so could they have got it wrong and there is not leak?

I have the retest tomorrow but would like it ideally sorted before then.
That's a bit crappy, surely they could have told you where exactly the leak was coming from if they didn't have time (?) to show you exactly. Sorry that's not a particularly helpful reply btw...

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
That's a bit crappy, surely they could have told you where exactly the leak was coming from if they didn't have time (?) to show you exactly. Sorry that's not a particularly helpful reply btw...
They said the leak was from the power steering pipe/hose front...

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
I have got under the car it's pretty filthy no obvious leaks anywhere and the fact that the power steering fluid is still pretty full makes me think any leak would be extremely minor, and even if it was more significant how is that an MOT fail? Surely just an advisory?

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
What’s your reg? I’ll mot check it and see what they have failed it on as the leak will be explained there. Failing that take it somewhere else and pay to have it tested again if you think there being too harsh and see how that works out for you 👍

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Are you checking for a leak with the engine running and someone turning the wheels from side to side? As is done on the test.

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Ok, so if there's any trace of fluid leakage from the PAS hoses then they'll fail it regardless of if you've fixed the leak or not. Mine failed as I'd forgotten the crush washer and had to do a quick undo/redo of the pipe, that dumped some fluid onto the subframe which I didn't have to clean up, didn't have a leak, just fluid laying about.

Give all the joints and pipes a wipe and it might just be that

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021

I am thinking of getting this, tried it? I will try and wipe down some surfaces as well, I had the steering wheel fluid open to get to some of the egr bolts when I had that off could easily have knocked something I guess, I definitely spilled some coolant and engine oil at points but didn't top up the power steering fluid.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Give all the joints and pipes a wipe and it might just be that

Came here to say that. I've lost count of the times I've had leaky shock absorbers, brake fluid leakage, excessively corroded control arms etc. and after a wipe down or a wire brush, it's never been mentioned again.

Some people are crooks, some people are lazy. I'm leaning towards the latter on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CupraChris1981

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Got the free retest as it's free! Knew would fail as didn't have the right CV boot clip just rested a jubilee clip on it lol, they showed me the issue with the power steering, was pretty bad corrosion on a pipe on the near/passenger side and what looked like a moist pipe, seemed to have some kind of cover on it that was soaked in fluid so the pipe apparently needs replacing he said it probably had something to do with cooling not sure what he meant?

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Wiped the pipe down this is what it looks like now, does not look excessively corroded to me (looked pretty nasty and greasy before)

Attachments

• IMG_20220811_150737.jpg
    IMG_20220811_150737.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

DerbyForget

Apr 1, 2012
Burton on Trent, Staffs
If the examiner has failed it for that hose leaking and you've wiped it down and show it's not leaking then they will have to pass it on the retest...

If you ask me that seems very picky and it should have gone down as an advisory for 'seepage' at worse.

Feel free to look through the manual yourself, a leak is defined as :-

You should fail a vehicle if a fluid leak creates a pool on the floor within 5 minutes that’s more than 75mm in diameter or if there are many leaks which collectively leak fluid at the same rate.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd wire brush all areas of that steel section and paint it with some Hammerite, MOT testers probably see lots of steel sections of power steering fluid pipes that are exposed to incoming road crap, the smart home car fixer always treats these areas with paint to avoid any issues at MOT time and also to save that pipe from needing replacing later on.

I'd also think that MOT testers are just human and while sticking to the handbook etc, will probably hand out advisories or even fail cars that look like they are not getting much "love" - and when you add in that you just placed a CV boot clamp over the boot I'd think that was you adding to your possible pain. Too many people, it seems play the "just hand it in" and if it passes, do nothing for another year, I prefer playing the "try to keep on top of all problems" okay the odd thing passes me by at times, but by and large my cars get their MOT without advisories or failure, I'm aiming to keep my cars fit for the road and not them not being a danger to us or other road users, and hopefully not break down.

One comment that gets made wrt MOTs is "covers fitted" when that model of car does have an under body cover, like the under engine cover - is there one and only one reason why they record that on MOTs sometimes and not at other times?

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
If the examiner has failed it for that hose leaking and you've wiped it down and show it's not leaking then they will have to pass it on the retest...

If you ask me that seems very picky and it should have gone down as an advisory for 'seepage' at worse.

Feel free to look through the manual yourself, a leak is defined as :-

You should fail a vehicle if a fluid leak creates a pool on the floor within 5 minutes that’s more than 75mm in diameter or if there are many leaks which collectively leak fluid at the same rate.
That was the retest, certainly was not dripping at all

DerbyForget

Apr 1, 2012
Burton on Trent, Staffs
I'd wire brush all areas of that steel section and paint it with some Hammerite, MOT testers probably see lots of steel sections of power steering fluid pipes that are exposed to incoming road crap, the smart home car fixer always treats these areas with paint to avoid any issues at MOT time and also to save that pipe from needing replacing later on.

I'd also think that MOT testers are just human and while sticking to the handbook etc, will probably hand out advisories or even fail cars that look like they are not getting much "love" - and when you add in that you just placed a CV boot clamp over the boot I'd think that was you adding to your possible pain. Too many people, it seems play the "just hand it in" and if it passes, do nothing for another year, I prefer playing the "try to keep on top of all problems" okay the odd thing passes me by at times, but by and large my cars get their MOT without advisories or failure, I'm aiming to keep my cars fit for the road and not them not being a danger to us or other road users, and hopefully not break down.

One comment that gets made wrt MOTs is "covers fitted" when that model of car does have an under body cover, like the under engine cover - is there one and only one reason why they record that on MOTs sometimes and not at other times?
Ref "engine covers fitted" again this is completely down to the discretion of the examiner. Some note it, others don't. It essentially protects them as they are just saying that they have been unable to view the entire underside of the vehicle. So if there were any issues behind the undertray they can't remove the cover to inspect it.

Similar thing happens sometimes when you have a child seat fitted in the rear - you might get a comment that says - "unable to inspect ns rear seat belt due to child seat fitted etc"

Reactions: RUM4MO and Rich.T
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.