my cupra is sick!

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
my cupra is sick! - fault codes now inc..please HELP!

Well first of all i should mention that about a week ago I practically ran out of fuel due to a naff sat nav, the engine emissions/ engine check came on so I pulled over & got someone to bring etrol to me, I then vag com'd it with an error about the lambda sensor.

A week later, and i had the cambelt & water pump changed at a garage on saturday, drove her home no prob, then woke up, drove to work, no problem, turned it on at lunch to listen to music and left it idle still with nothing wrong, then i finished work and started her up, the engine light didn't turn off and hasnt since, I then took her for a drive today, i turned the TCS off briefly to give some beans, then went to turn it back on but it won't, the light has stayed illuminated and it seems to have thrown it into a limp mode (i think? it feels like there is no turbo), i have restarted the car several times to no avail,

Going to try and get the car vag-com'd tonight, any idea what it could be?? and if its going to be an expensive problem? could it also be linked to the engine management light? I assumed that would be a faulty lambda sensor? so unlikely to be linked to TCS

Last edited:

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
could be your MAF sensor mate, have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?

I get limpmode sometimes and it works a treat. Worth doing

adam.p

sure this is knackered maf. do a search to make sure but sounds familiar

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
You know where your induction kit is? Follow the induction kit and you will find a cylinder type housing with a plug on it, thats your maf, unplug it and you should get the tcs light staying on, drive it and see if the boost comes back.

If it does plug it back in and see what happens. If it goes again its deffo the MAF, if the boost stays then it will be fine.

Ask someone to post a pictyure of there engine bay up, its easier to point out mate. The maf basically joins on to your airfilter just below

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
cheers for help pal, heres a pic of my engine bay, sorry about the poor quality, i just ran outside and took it on my phone:

Image068.jpg

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
so unplug it and run with it unplugged? see if the boost returns? and if it does try plugging it back in?

Thats it, only run for about 5mins max with it unplugged though. Wouldnt surprise me if that sorts it out for you, you will probably find that if the boost comes back unplugged it will be there when you plug it back in

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
:( no joy, the car is still not boosting and the tcs light / engine light are still constantly on, i'll get may mates VAG com tonight, am i supposed to run tests with it? last time i just plugged it in & it had a list of errors?

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
:( no joy, the car is still not boosting and the tcs light / engine light are still constantly on, i'll get may mates VAG com tonight, am i supposed to run tests with it? last time i just plugged it in & it had a list of errors?

Could just mean that your MAF is dead. Deffo get it on vagcom and if your stuck post up the faults here. Thers plenty of people who can give you advice on the faults if your stuck.

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
still yet to get the car on a VAG com, anyone in the bournemouth area willing to help me out? i'll travel to you????

Also checked the fuses today to find the lambda sensor fuse was blown, I put a new one in but it had blown by the time I got home so i'm assuming its defo the lambda causing the engine check/emissions light...still clueless to the TCS light staying on though ... :(

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
right here we are, the results...

12 Faults Found:

17829 - Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112): Short to Ground

P1421 - 35-00 - -

17965 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation

P1557 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

17833 - EVAP Purge Valve (N80): Short to Ground

P1425 - 35-00 - -

17955 - Boost Pressure Regulation Valve (N75): Short to Ground

P1547 - 35-00 - -

17843 - Secondary Air Pump Relay (J299): Short to Ground

P1435 - 35-00 - -

17697 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Short to Ground

P1289 - 35-00 - -

17525 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating Circuit: B1 S2: Short to Ground

P1117 - 35-00 - -

17522 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor: B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High

P1114 - 35-00 - -

16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low

P0102 - 35-00 - -

17523 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating Circuit: B1 S1: Short to Ground

P1115 - 35-00 - -

16518 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: No Activity

P0134 - 35-00 - -

16524 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: No Activity

P0140 - 35-00 - -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once the results had been cleared all the lights on the dash turned off, the boost returned, then i took her for a drive, this fault stayed on....

17829 - Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112): Short to Ground

P1421 - 35-00 - -

Then after a bit of boosting onto a duel carriageway all the faults returned...

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I assume one of the problems is definately the lambda?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.