My Sdi ... aka Geoff

May 31, 2011
Essex
yh originally drivers side light went then the headlight and since taking it all apart to do gearbox now none work apart from passenger main beam

all bulbs work
fuses are all ok

so either relay or wiring just hard as the wiring has been adapted i think to fit my morettes

May 31, 2011
Essex
not updated in ages so .........

recent things done to car are,

finished off gearbox and got car back on the road to find the drivers wheel bearing had gone and the hub was ruined so after yet another £180 got the car fixed and got my brakes fitted i got while ago so now its working well apart from no headlights cant understand why the headlights wont switch on as they work wired srtaight to the battery, replaced the fuses relays and switch inside the car and nothing so just going to wire them to a seperate switch and do it that way.

so after paying 1500 for the car and then another 800 fixing bits on the car it seems to be finally working well therefore i can now spend my money changing bits and making it my own,

things on the list
outside......
change headlight back to standard (will swap for standards + cash my way if anyone interested)
get some mk1 rear lights (will straight swap my mk2 rears)
get rid of the 17s and my wellers and replace them with 15s either some bbs or some g60s for the winter
get the front down to the floor either with front bumper i have or a standard one
possibly remove side skirts to get the car really low
new exhaust system, remove the cat and straight through to a 3" tip

inside........
get some bottom door cards for the front and rear panels
board and carpet the back to make it nice and flush to flow through to the front
get new seats that match

so if any one interested in swapping anything or have any bits pm me ......

Last edited:
May 31, 2011
Essex
after spending £500 on a recon gearbox for my car the engine is staying put until i kill it lol
a friend of mine keeps wanting me to turbo it as he is a genius with diesels just need to find all parts and all that and would be ready to go

May 31, 2011
Essex
i used to have loads when got the car just turned out to have loads of problems definatly doing my research next time before i buy something

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Good idea, I think though if you do want to turbo it you'd be best to get a complete engine with turbo to start with, much easier and cheaper than trying to turbo a non turbo one. I'm intending to swap out the turbo on mine for a VNT type and with that and the injectors I have already I'll get around 150-155bhp and a healthy pile of torque unless I go for a VNT 17 from a PD 130, 150 then I could make the 180 ish mark. It's all money though.:)

May 31, 2011
Essex
yeah i was thinking about just swapping it over for a 1.9tdi lump but wanted to be different and my mate had turbo'd his 6n polo with a 1.9sdi lump so he knows what he is doing and needs been working on diesels for like 15 years lol i will just ask for a list and go get bits and give it all to him lol

if you are swapping it over id get one from the pd 130-150 because if you went for the other one you will eventually change again for more power lol just depends how far you want to really go

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
yeh a souped up vario lol, it'd be different anyway:D I like going on the tdiclub site, they're well into tuning the crap out of their cars and there's loads of useful info.:)

May 31, 2011
Essex
yh i save so so so much fuel now having diesel even more having a plain diesel but i need more power lol
need a decent air filter and new exhaust as just got standard set up with MASSIVE back box which prob makes it loads worse just makes it bloody noisy lol
once they are done should and a good old service should help the car abit more and make it run smoother and be bit more responsive

but tdi will be happening in the new year prob or around july time next year as dont want to rip the car apart just yet as money tight and back at uni end september so major works will prob start jan time or end of 2nd year

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The air filter and exhaust wont make much odds in the diesel, they're not the same as the petrol ones and don't benifit in the same way.:)

May 31, 2011
Essex
yeah but will make it run bit better compared to my "universal" cheap job filter and huge back box thats far to noisy lol

once got decent air filter and and smaller back box and straight through pipe should make it bit better doesnt need to be faster just run better and not sound like a tank lol

HalfOfZero

The Red Arouser
An idea that's on my mind is...... a lovely engine transplant.
Take my **** 1 liter block out, and stick a lovely 1400cc Hayabusa engine in. Pure torque, plus a turbo. Revs higher than a tech. And in a car that weighs a lot less than a ton.... that will produce a lot of "WTF" moments ha.

But yeah.. its all money and time :(

May 31, 2011
Essex
i was having a random day at uni looking for new engines and that for the car when gearbox went and found a r1 engine and sequential gearbox set up for like £400 engine on 13k and all the uni boys were after me buying it and making it a uni project but would have ment i would have had to get another run around until it was complete

would have been good but i would have ended up just racing it and not actually driving it daily and want to have my fun first before it goes off road lol

Dabbalz

Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
An idea that's on my mind is...... a lovely engine transplant.
Take my **** 1 liter block out, and stick a lovely 1400cc Hayabusa engine in. Pure torque, plus a turbo. Revs higher than a tech. And in a car that weighs a lot less than a ton.... that will produce a lot of "WTF" moments ha.

But yeah.. its all money and time :(

Motorbike engines don't like massive weight and you'll struggle to keep it going in the long run, I've been reading about 20VT engine conversions in these Arosa's and was thinking about doing one as a project. Might give the BMW 330d a miss this year and do summat a bit mental.

May 31, 2011
Essex
the car is actually pretty light as nothing is in it and if iw ere to put bike engine in it would be in the back so the heavy diesel lump up front would be gone making it even lighter and if i were to do it it would only be a mess about track toy.

May 31, 2011
Essex
noticed yesterday after giving car a nice clean that my front tyres are wrecked lol completely slick lol not one bit on tread on passerger wheel so need new tyres on the front as back ones are still basically new.

so the issue,
pay about £100 for two new 205 45 17 tyres
or
new set of wheels?????

i went for new set of wheels and managed to get myself some genuine 15" bbs alloys in black and 3 new tyres 1 with 3mm tread for just £75.20

will be collecting the wheels some time this week and cant wait no more rubbing on lock and means i can get low :) happy days

May 31, 2011
Essex
geoff has new wheels
genuine vw bbs 6.5j x 15"

IMG00460-20110803-2331.jpg

IMG00461-20110803-2331.jpg

need to get one more centre cap as im missing one but need to find cheap genuine one

wheels could do with a respray as backs are still silver but that can get done soon just wanna get them on and the front down low to match the back

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members