New Cupra R Buyer Q's

kris99

Hello, newbie here.

I am planning on buying a Cupra R in the nxt few weeks. Wondering if you folks could give me any advice as to what to look out for. I have spoke to some owners and read reviews etc but wld like to hear from others.

Few questions I would like to know.

1. What can I expect as the average mpg?

2. What is the better model between the 210 or the 225?

Hope you can help.

Kris

DamoR

Smoked!!!!
Oct 9, 2006
Birmingham
www.myspace.com
I get between 25-30mpg depending on what roads I'm on etc.

Given how much the prices have dropped on the LCR 225 I would say if insurance isn't an issue go for the 225.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I'd agree with DamoR on the MPG... 25-30 is about what I get depending on road and mood ;)

There is little difference between the 210 and 225 other than a couple of styling things (wing mirrors and steering wheel for instance) and minor mechanical changes, so go for whatever car offers the best value for money, in the best condition, with the best service history, that's been looked after the best and has the options (if any) you want.

Performance, MPG, handling etc are identical and if you read the sticky thread thread at the top of this forum about the differences between the 210 and 225 you'll see that they are even 99% the same mechanically. So as above, don't worry about the marketing of it, go for the car that offers the best value for money as on the road, there is no difference.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Hi

If mpg is important to you then why are you getting a high performance motor? (I spent £10 on about 30 miles yesterday... but it was worth it)

The diesel cupras will give you 50 to the gallon if you are light on the go pedal and pull like a train when you need it.

Last edited:

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
Hi

If mpg is important to you then why are you getting a high performance motor? (I spent £10 on about 30 miles yesterday... but it was worth it)

The diesel cupras will give you 50 to the gallon if you are light on the go pedal and pull like a train when you need it.

Wow you must really have been gunning it!

I do 300 miles and spend about £45 on petrol a week (VPOWER)

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
£10 gets me 50 miles, if i'm lucky. its very rare that i see over 22mpg on the trip computer.

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
You're not trying hard enough then ;)

I think your right mate...

Drove from Manc to Chester this morning and when I arrived at work I looked at my average MPG and it was showing 38.0 :blink:

Miles per tank was showing 415! Only just filled up though!

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
What the....? :blink:

If I drive like Miss.Daisy, and I mean speed limits everywhere, being cautious about breaking too heavily or accelerating too heavily and generally doing everything I can to maximise fuel economy... I can get 34MPG. And that takes some effort. I guess if I was doing a longer journey like that it might increase a bit, but damn I'd be late! :lol:

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
I'm the same, my average over 1687 miles was 23.8 and i like to give it static but i do drive a good bit of motorway, where i struggle to keep it at 28-30-mpg!
A car like this isn't bought for fuel economy its meant for fun and enjoying it!
So get your foot down and put a smile on your face! <--Al G!

Oh and dont think i've every seen my miles per tank above 300, ever!

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
Thats the thing, Im not a slow driver...

For example today I was in the fast lane all the way and most the time I was doing 80 (GPS)...

For whatever reason the average MPG readout always reads between 11 - 28 for the first 10 miles then it shoots up to around 32+... I guess the moral of the story is never do under 10miles per trip :blink:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
That's part of my problem I think... I do a trip up an A road to start with, which is around 4 miles. Then potter along through local / A roads for another 2 miles. Then motorway for the next 7 miles and then local roads again. So I do too much stop-start driving to get really good economy.

Mar 5, 2007
My average mpg for any trip has not yet gone below 27mpg and it's remapped. I guess I'm not driving it hard enough. :)

Generally though, taking it easy with a bit of motorway of dual carriage way I'm seeing around thirty. Never had over 32/33.

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
I drive 40 miles of A-road a day - get around 32 mpg, approx 350 miles to a full tank of petrol. I don't drive slow.

I once got 410 miles out of a tank of V Power on a motorway cruise between 80 - 90 mph.