New MAF - now performance flat....

ToledoSteve

OK history of the problem is....car was left a couple of weeks and the battery went low enough to lose the radio code. Took off the Battery, charged it, put it back on, car started, no probs, but on driving it felt as if the turbo was not working....disconnected the MAF and no change......bought a new MAF (SEAT Dealer insisted it was the right one, even though the code was differrent and there were changes to the airflow chamber, (they showed me that it was a part number change on their comp.)) now with new MAF it still seems to drive fairly flat until you hit 3000 RPM ......then.....it takes off like a Bat out of Hell... (on previous MAF the performance came in at about 2,400 RPM in all gears) on the old MAF it would get up to about 100mph and then take its sweet time to get to 110mph, now it just rockets to 110mph and hits the governed speed. The power is great but it seems a bit unusable.....is there anything I can do? I physically blanked the EGR when I got the car 2 yrs ago so its not that, and I dont think Turbo probs because its all there....but only after 3000rpm. I checked all the little air pipes to turbo solenoid, all OK, the car is serviced with an oil and filter change every 3 months (yep, sometimes less than that, done it with all my Diesels, geezer once told me that oil will always be cheaper than a blown engine) I haven,t yet taken the car for a long drive, but its been driven back and forth 5 miles or so two or three times at varying speeds in varyoing traffic condidtions....it seems to be getting better but not much.....how long does it take for the ECU to re-learn?????? any helpful ideas would be appreciated.....Oh its a T plate 99 TDIs AHA engine 81 kilowatt Mettallic blue with nice seats hardly a scratch on it and drives like new (except for a sloppy gaerchange --any ideas on that one?) and the SEAT Aura 6 CD changer I fitted, wow that sound is great.....ooops back to reality HELP Please....

ToledoSteve

Reset ECU.....How

Thanks for the help.....How do I reset the ECU? I thought, after the battery went flat and I took it off to charge it...the ECU might reset itself? Just to make it clear....that turbo is boosting....more than it used to in fact, but only after 3000rpm. It used to come in around 2,400...2,500 just a nice powerful surge, that would surprise a few hot hatches if I just caught it right...now if I just catch it right I can surprise Porsche 911s and GT34 Rs....but I have to wait for that magic 3000rpm to come up. Oh and I put a new coopers fuel filter on, I have had trouble on this car in the past with cheaper fuel filters being a tad restricitve, but Coopers have been OK. Is it the MAF that tells the ECU when to boost? I,ll try a change of air filter....its a MAN filter and MAN replacement less than 12 mths old. perhaps the filter is a bit blocked.

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110917

It will mean the ECU is reset to stock and learn how you drive, what air it can pull etc and will adjust to you. I did it on mine and got better MPG and a greater pull. Worth a shot imo.

Someone in the Leon section fitted a new MAF to their 20VT and were having problems until they did an ECU reset and it was able to pick up the correct readings from the MAF

Fill

so would the ecu reset (mentioned in the link in the above post) do the same on a non tdi seat? ive got a 1.8 20V S. had to disconnect my maf last night as it got to the point it was undriveable. its like ive got a new car now, it actually accelerates!! was thinking of trying this ecu reset when i get my new maf on...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise