o2m shim?

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
I have more of a grind on de acceleration in 3rd and nothing on acceleration and nothing in other gears? Will shim sort this or do I need recon

Last edited:

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
Was just a bit of residual oil, shim inserted, shaft no longer has movement, c clip was a little tight, snug fit. New cap on, and test drive done... very very happy with results ! :D

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
I'm still unclear. As I've said, mine makes a whirring grind in third gear only on De acceleration. Will this be needing a recon or will the shim stop it?

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Yeah I would but I don't think I'd be able to do it myself. Although this seems like an easy thing to do I dont feel like its something I would know what im doing so would prefer to take it to local garage. Just would rather know wether it would do anything before i pay the labour. unless of course somone in the hertfordshire/ essex area wants to give a cupra r friend in need a hand and earn a few notes.

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
I was lucky and didn't have the under tray fitted so saved a bit of time. I've not done anything like this before, I bought circlip pliers from halfords (£9.99), and had a screwdriver and malet to remove cap, and malet to put new one on. Took my time and took an hour in total :)

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
Just taken car out again on motorway, wow is am understatement ! Car drives like new, in fact I don't think its ever been this good !?.. every niggle I had with driving the car has vanished :), no more gear stick move on accelerate, decelerate, no more whining, no clutch dipping, clutch peddle judder at idle etc.. just a lovely tight gearbox :)

nd-photo.nl

Mar 6, 2012
The Netherlands
www.nd-photo.nl
tumblr_mkxkvhe54v1rc113po1_250.gif

Hobbiniho

Jan 17, 2009
shetland/ Aberdeen
think i would need to do this on my golf as i get a whine on deceleration, might just wait until it needs a service and do it at the same time, and considering so far this year iv only done about 20 miles its not really going to bother me that much

MattG90

Mar 4, 2014
Just taken car out again on motorway, wow is am understatement ! Car drives like new, in fact I don't think its ever been this good !?.. every niggle I had with driving the car has vanished :), no more gear stick move on accelerate, decelerate, no more whining, no clutch dipping, clutch peddle judder at idle etc.. just a lovely tight gearbox :)

hahah sound a happy guy!
Mine drives me insane especially when I have to explain myself to someone new in the car that doesn't know what it is as sounds awful!!

Will buy the parts asap, even if its not right for my gearbox not sure if it's for my year, but only a tenner

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
Definitely worth it, I may have bashed on about it :), but in my case it really has made that much of a difference !, I even thought about buying a new car it was that bad, I just hated driving it !.. but think I'll be keep it going now :). It's on 95k, so just run in for a diesel engine !

Sam_Thulborn

Sep 11, 2014
www.facebook.com
Stumbled across this yesterday, ordered the parts today from my vw dealer, my 04 plate Cupra R whines under engine braking from 3rd to 1st, hoping this will cure my problem as it's so irritating, especially when I have my music down to appreciate the cars roar, I you tubed the video and the guy literally pop the black cap off, takes out the circlip pops the shim in, puts the circlip back ok, new black cap back on, is it really that easy or am I missing some steps lol? Thank god for this post!!

Sam_Thulborn

Sep 11, 2014
www.facebook.com
Yeah I have got all of the bits that are in the way lol, how much oil am I expecting to see out of curiosity? I'm useless at gearboxes but this seems too good to be true and I'm trying to gather all of he information I should know about as im considering taking the tools in the boot and doing it in the vw forecourt as it pisses me off that much

Sam_Thulborn

Sep 11, 2014
www.facebook.com
Brilliant, thank you so much! I'll go purchase some tomorrow and I'm changing that bitch on the forecourt and having silence in the car for at least a minimum of a week, cheers guys