Oil...What to use in your TDI

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
ok so if I change the oil every 10k how will the car know? will I have to reset the ecu each time? can I use a fully synthetic oil in this engine? and if so do I need any particular viscosity? eg can I use say 5w-40, as this is fairly common and easy to get hold of.

Use fully synthetic, top stuff! I had a V reg 110 Toledo new in 2000, company car & screwed the living shite out of it! 'Chipped' it from 2000 miles & boy did that poor car have some death! However due to my extreme driving I changed the oil myself in between scheduled services (ie every 5k) always with fully synthetic and also had the dealer use fully synthetic. That car has now done well over 200k miles, as far as I know is still 'chipped' & still going strong with very little oil consumption.

Following the Toledo I had a Mazda 6 TD, same thing, fully synthetic every service, not so much of a hammering (getting older!), but after 90k was still good - Mazda specify semi synthetic for the 6 TD but they have had some oil pump failures & severe sludging on high mileage cars - no probs with mine on fully synthetic!

My feeling is, even if you are a very high mileage driver & therefore needing services often, for the extra tenner go fully synthetic. Semi synthetic is exactly that to me - half a job!!

doidge0

My freind works in BMW as a aprentice and he said that they use 3 oils one for all diesels one for most petrols and one for the high performance petrols, he said he will sell me the diesel oil for a pound a L wich is pretty cheap i think the only oil i could get at a lower cost is asdas 20w40 mystery oil.
I know this is the wrong forum to be asking but would anyone know if this bmw diesel oil would run nicely in the 90hp AHU engine or would it be better to just spend a few more quid and buy the correct oil.
Thanks for the help

Kash R

hey guys, i have a ibiza cupra tdi pd160. my manual says my car requires 506 or 507 spec oil only! but my dealer has always been using 505 spec in my car and insists its the right oil even tho ive showed them what my manusl states. ive had one turbo change as my turbo started whinning terribly. now my turbo has blown and i think my engine is totalled as the car wont turn ova!!! the car went into the agents today so i await their report. in my opinion this has been caused by uncorrect engine oil, what are your oppinions?

many thanx

Kash R

yeah it doesnt sound good at all! ive got full seat service history, ive only got 55000km on the clock and car is stil under warranty. ive also got old service statements showing which oil was used. whem i tried starting the car the engine would only turn once then stop, like its seized

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Try and gather as much info as you can. and ring seat customer care if you like to report the problem directly tothem, leaves it that you know what is happening and they will work with the dealer on it too.

delaxm

Nov 8, 2006
South West UK
So today I ring a Texaco distributor & ask for VW506.01 spec oil - they ring me back & say that they don't do that spec but 504.00 & 507.00 is fine for a 130PD is this correct?

Kash R

@ Chrisgtl im not sure what my engine code is, where would i find that? ive got a cupra tdi pd160

Kash R

thanks googies, I will try to do that but down here in SA VW holds our Seat warrnties so i'll have to take it up with them

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
So today I ring a Texaco distributor & ask for VW506.01 spec oil - they ring me back & say that they don't do that spec but 504.00 & 507.00 is fine for a 130PD is this correct?

VW oils are indeed backwards compatible.

So a engine asking for VW506.01 is ok to use VW507.00.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
@ Chrisgtl im not sure what my engine code is, where would i find that? ive got a cupra tdi pd160

2.0 16v TDI FR*
Diesel 2 L (1968 cc, 120 cu in) 4 cyl
170 PS (168 hp/125 kW) @4200 rpm
350 N·m (258 lb·ft) @1800–2500 rpm
BMN

The engine code can be located:-

a) on the log book (V5) - the engine number will start with the 3 letter code

b) Label on the inside cover of the scervice schedule

c) Under the carpet in the boot you will find a label with the code

KarenJ

May 10, 2005
In my own little world.....
Hi All

Please can someone tell my what oil I should be using in my car? 2005 reg Leon TDI FR 150BHP.

It will be having a service with SEAT next month, do you recommend me buying the oil and asking them to use my oil or will they know which oil to use?

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Karen, I have only had one service where I used SEAT supplied oil, other times I have supplied my own oil (millers XFE-PD VW505.01), cheaper than the quantum and I also believe it to be better quality with the added knowledge that the dealer couldn't surely f*** up when you give them the oil to use. VW507spec would do the FR, Millers XF Longlife 5w/30 will meet this. (btw Im don't work for Millers or are anyway connected :blink:)

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Hi All

Please can someone tell my what oil I should be using in my car? 2005 reg Leon TDI FR 150BHP.

It will be having a service with SEAT next month, do you recommend me buying the oil and asking them to use my oil or will they know which oil to use?

VW505.01 - this is alot cheaper than the VW507.00 option.

paulhdi

Feb 3, 2007
just priced up some 505.01 for sisters car in halfords. £35.99
Millers xfe-pd at local motor factors £30.99 although non in stock, and not sure of when it would be.
rang the local skoda dealer, and they did 5litres of the quantum 505.01 for £27.40! good show skoda.

Paul