Oil...What to use in your TDI

wildejon

serviced my FR 170 today at work an all i can tell you is it takes quantum 5w 40 not sure on the actual number but its direct from seat as a kit got it well cheap oil, oil filter , diesel filter and air box filter for £45 at a dicounted price.

whoa... how does that work?! Do they all stock kits but either too dumb to know or too selfish to tell us?! :p

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
serviced my FR 170 today at work an all i can tell you is it takes quantum 5w 40 not sure on the actual number but its direct from seat as a kit got it well cheap oil, oil filter , diesel filter and air box filter for £45 at a dicounted price.
The reason it was cheap is because Seat sold you the wrong oil. Your car should have VW507 oil - 5w 30.

Richy!!!

May 14, 2008
Staffordshire
Sorry!

Im a little lost :confused: with all these different types and specs of oil. So when i do my Cupra TDi 150 next month the recommened oil to use is 506.01 am i right?? What grade of oil is it? Am i right in saying 5w30? Its going to be remapped to around the 175 180 bhp mark so will this still be ok to use?!? :confused:
Any particular manufacure/type of oil to be avoided??

PJ BUSA

When I first had my TDI 150 I could not find oil spec. So I contacted Seat UK,and they e-mailed back from Seat Technical Team, they advised to use either VW505 01,VW507 00 or VW506 01 for that vehicle

siecarol

ive got a ibiza cupra tdi been advised a few oils, so what do i put it in it please can any1 advise appreciate any advice cheers simon

siecarol

oil

hi erm few no it alls at work say 10w 40 castrol. handbok says 501 i fink thats y im a bit confused !!!! then sum1 on ere said a few others , 507 so am confused now, so it is 5w 30 and the numbers you said ? cheers i must sound a bit dum!!!!!!!!!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Ignore the know it alls who thing 10w 40 castrol is good for your cupra. You can go with either 506.01 0w 30 or 504/507 5w 30. Either of those is good, and a few good oil manufacturers make an oil to those specifications. Castrol also make an oil to that specification. I prefer Fuchs myself.

Don't use anything other than the specs outlined above, even if the person selling it to you thinks they know better. Never believe a salesman, they usually sell what they have most of, or whichever makes them the most commission. Note: 505.01, 500.00, 501.00 are not the same as 506.01. The specific numbers listed above are what you require to comply with manufacturers requirements. ;)

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
In the US and Canada, we are starting to see a few more engine oils meeting the VW 507.00 specification -- or which are otherwise satisfactory though they meet other specs.

For example, there is a Mobil 1 ESP Formula in the 5w30 viscosity which meets 504.00/507.00 and it is now available at one of the larger auto chains. Previously it was only available from online vendors.

There is also a Mobil 1 ESP Formula M in the 5w40 viscosity which meets the Mercedes 229.51 spec. But many owners of newer TDIs which are out of warranty, or soon will be, are planning to switch to the Formula M because it's got the thicker viscosity.

The used-oil test results I've seen on the ESP Formula 5w30 have been very good, hardly any wear at all over a 10k-mile oil change interval. It is thought that the 5w40 will be even better.

The 5w30 is imported from Europe and is sold in the 1-liter containers. The 5w40 is produced in the US and is sold in a 1-quart container.

One last note: a couple years ago the 506.01 spec was "the next big thing". Now it has almost totally disappeared. No vendors are selling it and no customers are missing it.

siecarol

Ignore the know it alls who thing 10w 40 castrol is good for your cupra. You can go with either 506.01 0w 30 or 504/507 5w 30. Either of those is good, and a few good oil manufacturers make an oil to those specifications. Castrol also make an oil to that specification. I prefer Fuchs myself.

Don't use anything other than the specs outlined above, even if the person selling it to you thinks they know better. Never believe a salesman, they usually sell what they have most of, or whichever makes them the most commission. Note: 505.01, 500.00, 501.00 are not the same as 506.01. The specific numbers listed above are what you require to comply with manufacturers requirements. ;)

hi cheers for the info would castrol edge be ok to use or millers ????

siecarol

ah rite ok dont spose u no where wood be best to get it from ?
also do u no any thing mechanical got few probs with car at the mo
any way cheers about the oil i was gettin a bit of a headache with it all thanks again

simon

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Not sure where to get Millers from. Doubtless online would be cheapest but I don't know where.

As for mechanical stuff, post up in the relevant forum and someone will offer advice.

siecarol

oil

ok cheers i will have a look online and see if can find some. thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

siecarol

hi. was wondering where do you get your millers from as seen it on ebay just not for what you say you got it from cheers simon

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
hi was wondering where do you get your millers from as seen on ebay just not 4 wot u say you got it from cheers simon

Try FULL words and punctuation, very difficult to read otherwise, you will get a better response if you are clearer.

Millers from Davis @ SERE, has his own section on here, also any good motor factors should have or be able to get it for you.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
The Millers website will tell you where your nearest outlet is.

Try FULL words and punctuation, very difficult to read otherwise, you will get a better response if you are clearer.
Agreed - leave the txt spk to the chavvy cruise forums :)

siecarol

Millers from Davis @ SERE, has his own section on here, also any good motor factors should have or be able to get it for you.

ok will do cheers for that

ABSVW

Hi All,

my first post !

I have just bought a 55 plate Cupra TDI 150.....and the oil is a on minimum.

I don't know what oil is in there to begin with so what should I use to top it up with until I get a full service done ?

Many thanks

ABSVW

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.