Oldtimer Golf 1

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Hello lads,

I haven't been very active lately on the forum. The cupra was giving me a hard time, with little errors that need fixing. I hate the fact that whatever I do to the car, it has to get me to work 5 days a week, meaning I never have much time.

So I decided to buy a second car. I wanted an old timer that I could blow some new life into.

I opted for a vw Golf 1.
Its a 1.5 4 gear LX version from 83.

26 years of age, no road tax and an insurance of 58 euro's a year :D

Now its not the prettiest of cars atm but once I put some grease into it, it'll look good i think.

Foto0085.jpg

Foto0084.jpg

Foto0086.jpg

Foto0087.jpg

The interior is in absolute great shape!

the exterior needs work.

Tomorrow I am welding plates into the footwells, as when you lift the mats (drivers and passengers side) you see the road.

Also getting rid of some rust by the tank cap and gonna have a good look underneath.

I already cleaned the engine bay of the years of dirt and neglect, and ordered some 3mm black vac hose to replace the dodgy hoses which are seriously perishing.

My first real mods will be to fit some nice wide 15" rims with stretched tires and coilovers. Then I think I'll change the headlights to clear ones, and maybe some chrome bumpers.

The paint needs some attention, and it has scatches which are beyond a good polish.

So need to see if a respray is in question.

I would like to keep the engine as is atm as I have a fast car (the cupra) and this gets goodish miles per gallon. However, when the time comes that it starts suffering I will put a 1.8 from a golf 2 gti in it [B)]

habits i gues :cartman:

Last edited:

Riko

MURDER WAGON
Jun 10, 2007
Milton Keynes
Lovely Revs! Careful what you call an old timer.. it's the same age as me! lol. I've thought about a mk1 as a runaround but getting a house now so thats out the question!! Looking forward to this little project, but don't forget about the cupra!!

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
nice car that one flapper. Just not a fan of the square headlights. The ATS rims set it off nicely though.

But no worries I am searching for rims as we speak, and coilies as well. Will change the car significantly!

Yesterday had a good day working on the car. There was quite some rust under mats drivers and passenger side.

Foto0088.jpg

Foto0089.jpg

Foto0090.jpg

Foto0091.jpg

Foto0092.jpg

Foto0093.jpg

Drivers side

Foto0094.jpg

Foto0095.jpg

Think it turned out very nice. Really strengthened the floor as well.

I also reinstalled the indicators, and removed the rust by fuel cap and resrayed.
I ordered a silver fuel cap, and new vacuum hose (expecting any day :) )

cheers for looking

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Ok so its been forever since I've been on this site, but I have a couple of updates on the Golf

First I painted the whole thing black in my father in laws wood shed lol

Foto0156.jpg

Foto0155.jpg

then put on chrome door handles, mirrors and gas cover. Also dropped it far on its ars! Clear headlights and indicators also went on

Then put on some ATS wheels in 7J 15" wrapped in Bridgestone potenza's 165-50-15. Alot of stretch lol!

Wheels used to be like this:

Foto0102.jpg

Now

Foto0195.jpg

Foto0198.jpg

Foto0197.jpg

Foto0196.jpg

Foto0200.jpg

Foto0199.jpg

ok let us know what you lot think

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
thanks lads.

the color was an absolute b*tch to put on. I was working with a compressor which couldn;t keep constant pressure, meaning some parts were thick and others weren't. So i sanded the whole car down again after, and this is the result. Its just a very simple industrial mat black, but I also think it looks pretty cool...

had quite a bit of work to get it in this shape but well worth it. Pretty reliable cars and can look very good with just a couple of mods. Only the 20vt missing lol!

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
matt paint does look nice but it gets classed as a rat colour really...do really like this tho mate! really top work.. have you seen my caddy thread? caddy is a mk1 golf variant..not sure if you had them? i expect so

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
Very nice car mate, exactly what i want in the future when its even rarer! :)
Love what you've done with it so far, cant wait for what's to come :D