P261A - Coolant Pump "B" Control Circuit/Open

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Hey guys and gals :)

Here with yet another problem since sorting out my last one, this one is giving me 2 minds of confusion.

I've done a little reading on this and some state that it could be down to the Air Con compressor not working others point towards the auxiliary water pump? There is a thread on here that I read and that one was back in 2012 and that was confirmed auxiliary water pump failure, then he/she had their actuator go after that. This is the thread I was on about. :)

I know my Air Con isn't working and hasn't for a very long time (at least since I've had it) and I've had it re-gassed properly and it still never worked, I've volt tested one of the 2 connectors concerning that but couldn't get to the other one to test, though that's a WIP. Thing about this is I don't believe it is to do with my Air Con, I'm leaning more towards the auxiliary water pump or it's connections at fault?

So, where do I go from here there? Where is this auxiliary water pump? How do I get to it? How would I check the connections to make sure it's fine and to confirm whether it's the pump itself that's failed/on it's way out? I've no idea where I'm looking in the engine bay for this in all honesty. :(

I'm hoping it won't be an expensive fix albeit I'm getting the feeling it needs to be seen and sorted asap? Have any of you lot besides the person in the thread I linked experienced this and had it sorted or done it yourself? If so how long did it take and was it easy or hard to do yourselves? Or how much did it cost to get rectified at a garage?

Thanks in advance! :)

--Lee

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Yeah it'll be the auxiliary coolant pump. It's on the front of the engine towards the bottom. It provides coolant circulation after the engine has been switched off if temperatures are too high. No need to rush to fix it ASAP but be mindful of engine temperatures in the meantime.

It's not inconceivable (though not likely) that it could have been disturbed by the garage when they did your actuator depending on how much stuff they removed to get access to the turbo. It's down near the intercooler pipes at the front and the long pipe coming up from the front of the engine to the turbo may have been moved.

If it is faulty you should be able to find a decent quality replacement by Pierberg or similar for about £75. I imagine it's probably around double that from the dealers.

I found this thread that has replacement instructions and illustrations of the location.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=410105

Last edited:

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Yeah it'll be the auxiliary coolant pump. It's on the front of the engine towards the bottom. It provides coolant circulation after the engine has been switched off if temperatures are too high. No need to rush to fix it ASAP but be mindful of engine temperatures in the meantime.

It's not inconceivable (though not likely) that it could have been disturbed by the garage when they did your actuator depending on how much stuff they removed to get access to the turbo. It's down near the intercooler pipes at the front and the long pipe coming up from the front of the engine to the turbo may have been moved.

If it is faulty you should be able to find a decent quality replacement by Pierberg or similar for about £75. I imagine it's probably around double that from the dealers.

I found this thread that has replacement instructions and illustrations of the location.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=410105

Sorry for the long wait in replying mate, I read this a few hours after you'd wrote it but literally only just sat down to reply, been hectic :(

I'm glad you left me such an explanatory post made it really easy for me to feel better knowing about the problem so I could make a simple choice with it :)

I've not thrashed it much since having the problem come up but when I have done I've cooled off sooner for getting to where I want to be and also left it to cool during stop longer too albeit the temps having gone above 90C :)

Yeah, I wouldn't know not sure as I never asked concerning how he done the turbo actuator other than that it was done while the engine was in :)

When it comes for it ill try to get under and get the part # for it then try to do it saving costs of labour, etc. I'll give that thread a whirl too and again thank you so much for your help Rusty, really appreciate it :)

--Lee

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members