Pinch weld/jacking point repair

paradyne

May 30, 2004
UK, Bucks
Hi guys, I picked up a silver 2002 Cupra 20VT recently - body in decent shape though it has some rust corrosion around the front jacking points/pinch welds
N/S slightly distorted but rusting in places. O/S is pretty flattened, literally took off the jacking point cover and you cannot see the seam.

Anyone here had to straighten theirs out or address corrosion in that place?

Reactions: Jay20VT

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Hi guys, I picked up a silver 2002 Cupra 20VT recently - body in decent shape though it has some rust corrosion around the front jacking points/pinch welds
N/S slightly distorted but rusting in places. O/S is pretty flattened, literally took off the jacking point cover and you cannot see the seam.

Anyone here had to straighten theirs out or address corrosion in that place?
This is like mine.. the jack points are pretty managled after being jacked up incorrectly. I straightened mine with a bolster and hammer which was quite harsh, you can use vice grips too. I then cleaned it and covered the area with Hammerite to stop rust.
Taking the skirts off is quite easy and loads of crap in there which I cleaned up and put back.

Reactions: Mr Pig

paradyne

May 30, 2004
UK, Bucks
Many thanks Jay20VT, I watched a YT vid where someone attacked it in a similar fashion with a punch and grips.
Reassuring hear you've done similar. I've got both available so may well try that approach.

Have already got a tin of the hammerite underseal, just gotta pick a suitable rust converter ahead of painting. My concern would be how much corrosion has gotten into that seam assuming it's possible.

Reactions: Jay20VT
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.