Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
what about a kit being made up like the allards one?? all stainless pipes, anybody like forge thought about making a so called like twintercooler like the mk2 leon cupra etc with metal pipes?? just a thought
Its going to have to be stainless or parts of it stainless. Matched with those clamps pat found should be find.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Yea I will be going that route but not to keen on the polished look so will consider my options . I will retain the "girth" of the pipes hopefully so should be bigger than the standard Allards pipes. At the moment I just want a solution.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I had a very positive conversation with Anthony from SFS today. He will look into creating a bespoke uprated design for me. He will assess whether to do it with reinforced silicone or alloy. Anthony stated that alloy shouldnt be a problem as they have all the schematics and measurements.

Thumbs up to SFS for rising to the challenge - I hope :)

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I had a very positive conversation with Anthony from SFS today. He will look into creating a bespoke uprated design for me. He will assess whether to do it with reinforced silicone or alloy. Anthony stated that alloy shouldnt be a problem as they have all the schematics and measurements.

Thumbs up to SFS for rising to the challenge - I hope :)

Anthony is good to deal with Maz :) The only issue i can see with going full steel would be lack of flexibility - maybe steel on the long bits but a reinforced silicon elbow here and there to allow the thing to move with the engine.

As with anything it'll be trial and error until finished but this combined with the pancake replacement and other clamps should finally provide a solution for OE. remapped and hybrid.

I reckon your hybrid is what's making the pipes swell too much.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Well lets hope they can make the whole thing in reinforced piping, as metal work would only allow heat transfer into the charged air. Where the silicon has much high insulation properties!
Or is SFS can insulate the alloy sections that would work well too!

strugers1

well if the intercooler works properly the pipes should stay cold i know mine do even after an hour of abuse on the road lift the bonnest and the pipes are ice cold ;)

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Yeah in the colder months, tried it in the summer... after been sitting in a queue for 15mins?? Then try to boot it away without heat soak... seen many petrols suffer, and suspect TDI running higher bhps wil do that too, standard TDI dont transfer near as much heat as Petrols, but none the less they produce heat..

strugers1

yeah dint think of that i guess what about if i bought heat wrap?? but to keep the heat out??
must admit with water meth would that solve that problem??

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Wrap would be a more cost effective answer i guess, and constant! But what wrap would you use is the question, I mean ceramics are used alot for heat transfer insulation, but thats delicate and expensive.
Meth i dont know alot about, intrested in it, as heard good things from it, but its a "short" fix and expensive i suspect, let alone problematic?

strugers1

well i was thinking just getting some wrap from demon tweaks??or summit like that, ill have to have a look before jumping into anything... only trouble is it will look pants i mean my car aint a race car so i think i could put up with losing 5bhp here and there during the summer months lol
i might be able to get some nice looking wrap if that exsists lol

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
SFS Polished Alloy
-----
Anthony from SFS has told me that he has measured the system up and got 4 lengths of polished alloy for the fmic system. This would mean cutting the current system and keeping the bends which should be straight forward. Hopefully this should resolve all my problems :)

I also polished up my engine cover and put that back in. Forge Catch tank will be up for sale soon - perfect for petrols not so for diesels.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
SFS Polished Alloy
-----
SFS has got 4 lengths of polished alloy for the fmic system...... I also polished up my engine cover and put that back in.....

Admit it, just an excuse to spend more time with the car and the polishing cloth!

Hopefully it'll help but as Pat said I reckon it'll just move the issue elsewhere. It will help though at the very least.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Elbows? joints? just that these sort of issues tend to be a PIA. There will always be a weak point in the system which hopefully in the end will be strong enough to take the pressure. Hopefully this may be the end.

My only concern will be the end caps on the FMIC - it was designed to a price and engineered to be part of a leaky system. I'll be going down the exact same route as Maz so hopefully between us we can iron out any problems.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.