Possibly moving to the UK...

EoinM

I might be relocating to the UK with work and am in two minds whether to sell my car here or bring it with me. Trouble is the clocks are only in kilometres and no miles reading on the speedo at all.

Anyone know if it's possible to re-register it over there without changing the clocks? Could be costly changing them out...

I know with jap imports you get a mechanical convertor for the speedo cable which just physically multiplies/divides the Km into mph. No need to physically change the clocks, all mine had was a sticker over the kph saying mph lol :D (and clocks that could read up to 190mph :D)

Only I don't know how it works these days if cars are drive by wire? I think you can get similar sytems for that?

Only thing is when you go to sell the car you may have say 25000km on the odometer (=15500mi approx ) You may then do another 20000mi in the time you have your car... when you sell it the Odo will read 45000mi but you'll have only done 35500mi? So it may take some time to explain etc...

Last edited:

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
I'd be surprised it if wasn't just a case of coding a new set of gauges into the car - all CANbus stuff nowadays to comply with ISO requirements!

If i were you i wouldn't bother. Just remember your key speeds 50kph = 30mph, 100kph = 60 mph etc.

EoinM

I'd be surprised it if wasn't just a case of coding a new set of gauges into the car - all CANbus stuff nowadays to comply with ISO requirements!

If i were you i wouldn't bother. Just remember your key speeds 50kph = 30mph, 100kph = 60 mph etc.

The problem isn't the mental maths, it's the fact that there isn't any mph markings on the speedo. I'm thinking if I was to register the car as a UK car that would have to be rectified?