Power Steering common fault?

Quirrel

Any known faults with the power steering? '06 55 plate Cordoba (essentially an Ibiza, but nobody really visits the Cordoba secton)

Got the car at the weekend, drove it home, left it on the drive until today. 1.9 TDi 130 SE

Got up this morning to go up to the Borders for a few days and as I was reversing out it started beeping at me. Didn't know what it was went to go forward and turn the wheel and it was locked solid. Power steering light came on. Wheel wouldn't turn.

Turned the car off and back on, power steering reengaged and I put itback in the parking space and called the garage to reject the car etc.

Went out to move it to the main car park at the apartment so I can park outside my aapartment and the engine would barely turn over, battery was nearly dead.

Is this a common thing?

Car is otherwise immaculate, but there is not a chance in hell I'm driving a car that can have it's steering lock straight on without any warning.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=226954&highlight=power+steering

That might be the answer.

Is it likely then that my battery would die from this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Quirrel

Anybody know if the fault linked above will cause my car to not have enough power to turn over? I presume a dodgy alternator earth would cause charging problems

I've been spitting flames at the garage and finance company today.

Quirrel

sorry to hear about it mate. I can't add anything but interested to hear the outcome. Keep us posted

Cheers. I've been in contact with Consumer Advice, AutomobileTraders Association and the legal team at The RAC.

Followed what they've outline to do and rejected the car outright to the garage and finance company.

If it comes back that they want to fix it etc. I need to have an idea of what it is they are fixing and is it a waste of time or not.
If it's a common fault then I might see myself accepting the car....maybe. They did put a new set of disks and pads all round for me before buying it. If it's going to be one thing after the other, then I'm going to walk away if I can.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.