Power steering in 1998 ibiza mk2?

amadain

Hi all

Does anybody know if the 1998 model of the seat ibiza comes with power steering as standard?

I bought one a while ago and it doesn't seem to have power steering.

An owners manual never came with the car. And I can't get in touch with the seller.

You guys are my only hope. I appreciate all replys thanks!

I think all of them do mate.

Just had a look. The 1.0E, 1.4 Estilo, 1.4 Fresca, 1.4 S, 1.4 Salsa, 1.4 SE, 1.4 SXE, 1.6 SXE, 1.9 TDi, 1.9 TDi S, 1.9 TDi Salsa, 1.9 D SE, 1.8 16v GT, 1.8 16v GTi, 2.0 8v GTi, 2.0 8v Cupra, 2.0 16v GTi and 2.0 16v Cupra all SHOULD come with power steering as standard.

Hope that helps.

Pedro

If you sit stationary at tickover and turn the wheel from lock to lock can you hear any noises at all?? if you have functioning PAS you should be able to hear the pump putting load on the engine.

amadain

Thanks Roelích, but my one seems to have steering rougher than an old 1980s golf my granny had!

Heya pedro (nearly called ya pedo by accident haha!) I just tried what you suggested there, I can't really hear anything other than the engine. I thought I heard an extra noise or two but it wasn't that obvious.

Could I be out of power steering fluid? Is there any way to check my power steering fluid?

Sorry, i really don't have a clue about cars. This is my first one.

Thanks for the help so far. This forum seems really good, I really dont want to go to a garage and have them charge me 50euro for advice that I can get here for free!

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
the power steering resevoir usualy has a green cap, not sure where it would be situated to tho im affraid

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
power steering reservoir is in the bottom right of this image

main.php

amadain

Cheers lads. Well, it's dark outside now, can't see a thing so I'll check it tomorrow.

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
The easiest way is to try it out. If you have power steering then turning the wheel with the engine off will be near impossible, and with the engine on you will be able to do it with the palm of your hand. And if the car isn't fitted with power steering then turning the steering wheel with the engine on will feel EXACLY the same as with it turned off.

Not sure if it does have it. For example my polo is a 1997 1.4 and it doesn't have power steering

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
It don't think the 1.0 has it as standard, not sure if it was an option from new??

We still look after a couple of 1.0's and neither of them have it or any electric windows

amadain

Checked for the opwer steering reservoir in the car... doesn't have one! So that means my car doesn't have power steering. Feck.

Power steering would be really handy for parrallel parking. And driving in general!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.