Powerflex dogbone mount and suspension bushes review

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
Alrighty!

Last week I had all four front suspension bushes on my LCR replaced with the Powerflex PVC bushes after a recent service advised that the originals were close to ruin. I also had the front engine dogbone mount replaced with the Powerflex part.

When the original dogbone mount was removed it was found to be in a terrible state, completely destroyed! My LCR has done 70K miles so perhaps not a surprise. The problem is that you can't see the state of it until it has been removed.

What do I think of the new parts: the difference is unbelieveable! Much better at getting the power down, the front end is glued to the road. There's considerably less lift under hard acceleration, the car stays very level.

I haven't experienced any of the vibration idle reported by other dogbone replacers. The only thing I've noticed is a slight vibration when pulling away when they car's cold. The exhaust note sounds a bit meatier as well.

So, very, very happy with the Powerflex bits, great improvement for less than £100.

:D :D

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Handy to know about the fronts as i havent touched these, dogbone is rebushed not much difference in vibration in 7000 miles its been on
I do however plan to do the full set of INA mounts in the not to distant future

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Without stuffing the old bushes in the exhaust how did you get a different exhaust note? :blink:

Might have to do the dogbone at some point, would be gutted if I got vibrations though.

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
It was the 4 wishbone bushes that I replaced.

The exhaust note is changed by the dogbone mount - as the mount is absorbing less vibration than the standard rubber mount.

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
OFI, the THS mount is supposed to be vibrationless almost but it's about £40. It's the whole mount though, not just the bush.

Thanks i'll take a look :D

It was the 4 wishbone bushes that I replaced.

The exhaust note is changed by the dogbone mount - as the mount is absorbing less vibration than the standard rubber mount.

That still makes no sense to me. I cannot see how a mount can change an exhaust note when it has nothing to do with the flow.
Perception of a different exhaust note through increased cabin noise I can understand but nothing more.

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
Thanks i'll take a look :D

That still makes no sense to me. I cannot see how a mount can change an exhaust note when it has nothing to do with the flow.
Perception of a different exhaust note through increased cabin noise I can understand but nothing more.

That's what I meant. Perhaps engine note was the wrong term :)