Pressed Plates.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Im thinking of getting some pressed plates for my car.

Ive found a place on ebay that have them for a good price, with the GB branding, UK font etc.

One thing that slightly bothers me is on all the places that i have looked for these plates it says in the disclaimer that the plates are for off-road/show use only.

This is holding me back slightly from ordering them as they look so good etc.

Cheers,

Craig.

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
Failed my MOT due to pressed plate..well tell a lie, the car failed for rear brakes but they pulled me up on the pressed plate. I wasn't failed as the original was in the boot.

Mckellar

i got mines from the Ebay place. £19.99 delivered.

yes, not legal. Had them since march and never had a single look by police over them.

Mines are UK font and GB banded (to be safe) and they are reflective.

11102007138.jpg

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
As I said - you won't pass an MOT with them on. Attach them with velcro then swap them for your originals for the MOT :)

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
A numberplate could fail on three possible points (in addition to the usual font/spacing etc. etc):
1. The plate must be stamped with the British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
2. The name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier (i.e. the people who make the yellow/white backing and plastic front)
3. Name and postcode of the supplying outlet

In practice the MOT station would have to be pedantic to pick you up on this, but to be safe, swap the plates over as others have suggested.

darrenh

...soon to have new shoes
Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
I've a good friend who runs a garage, and he said from 1st October they've had to become stricter in what they allow through. If it fails on any of the points that JCS posted... then it's a fail.

I put mine thru with my pressed plates a few months ago and I got a warning for it - apparently the testing chap was borderline whether to pass it or not - now, it'd be a fail.

Like the others have said, if you want them - accept that they're illegal for road use. A friend of mine (also on here) got pulled for his, got a £30 fine and got them confiscated. For the look they give the car, and the fact they don't cost that much - i'm willing to take the risk for now.

Mckellar

being a regular at my MOT station since i started driving, they dont fail me on small things but a simple word in my ear was what i got for my plates.

Plus some of the rules dont apply to mk2s because none of them were registered in 2001>

darrenh

Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
I know that the ones (car's registered that is, not plates made!) pre 2001 don't need the stamp of where they were made - but they'll still need to be UK font - you might find that they'll fail you from now on...

They might not though ;)

At the end of the day... and indeed this thread - they're illegal, we know they're illegal and know the risk of having them.

Mckellar

exactly as Darren says tbh mate, you knew before you posted this they were illegal, we all do.
pretty much anything except OEM is deemed "illegal".

Mines are UK font though, so SHOULD be fine :)

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Best thing to do if you want to stay out of trouble is keep your rear number plate standard and change your front one to a pressed German font one. Reason being that you are most likely to get pulled over when you are being followed by a police car, and if your rear plates are OK then you should be too.

Mig

darrenh

Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
exactly as Darren says tbh mate, you knew before you posted this they were illegal, we all do.
pretty much anything except OEM is deemed "illegal".

Mines are UK font though, so SHOULD be fine :)

ANYTHING but 'standard' plates is illegal :(

I was thinking about getting the UK font to be on the safe side - mine stand out cos the 'O' just looks like an egg :D

Won't changed them until I 'need' to though. Gets me worried about my tints though :(

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
I know that they are illegal but they just look so good!

I ordered mine in UK font with the GB banding so hopefully they should be fine.

My MOT tester is a good guy,so I think MOT should be fine. He passed my car with a leaking rear strut back in August as I couldnt get my hands on a replacement straight away and i needed my car.

I ordered a fixing kit with the plates as it was only a couple of quid.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Right I have 3 options for fixing the plates:

1. Screw Them (Would involve drilling holes in the plates.)

2. Put them in a number plate holder then attach that to the car.

Or 3. Use velcro.

I would prefer to have them screwed. This is because in my area they could be tea-leafed.

what would be the best way? I thought of even magnets as i seem to have magnetic strips under the plates I have on just now.

Craig.

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
if there guna get nabbed then there guna get nabbed screwed or not, id velcro them if you use industrial velcro there pretty tough to get off mate

Jul 10, 2001
Bedfordshire
Visit site
A friend of mine (also on here) got pulled for his, got a £30 fine and got them confiscated. For the look they give the car, and the fact they don't cost that much - i'm willing to take the risk for now.

I'm here, yup i got pulled over at the weekend and given a £30 on the spot fine for displaying the pressed plates. Didn't argue with the officer as it was my own fault for having them on the car knowing full well they where for show use only. I've now reverted back to my fully legal UK ones, who knows i might purchase another set in the future strictly for shows this time but not for the moment.

So get them for shows, but its your own fault if you get caught with them on the road like me